Road Glide banner

How much fork oil for stock forks?

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  skratch 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me how much fork oil is supposed to go into each stock shock on a 2013 RGC?

Thanks!

#2 · (Edited)
This is kind of a long answer.
Add slightly more than 10.7oz or 317ml.
Add oil a little at a time and pump fork tubes as you go.
Use the fork spring to push damper valve to bottom of tube.
Remove fork spring slowly.
Pump a few more times.
Bottom the tube.
Set fork oil tool to 125mm
Use fork oil level tool to set the oil to the correct height.
Assemble

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#4 · (Edited)
I've done it both ways lots of times. If the forks are off the bike because you are adding chrome or black lower tubes then do it the way I said. If you are just changing the oil you might do the measure what you take out. I do seals etc... when I change the oil. A half cm of height on the oil will make a big difference in ride. Too much = too stiff. Too little = too soft. You can still use the tool to add or remove oil to adjust the ride while the forks are on the bike.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#5 ·
I definitely have too much because the shocks are really stiff! I guess I'II just keep taking a little bit out until it loosens up a bit. Thanks guys.

#6 ·
well, that would depend also on what type of oil you put back in. some folks swear by the se heavy, while others think that it is way too stiff.... some even mix the heavy and the type e (stock) for a 'custom' blend.

and then too, it could be both, too much and too heavy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.