Harley B lifters - Road Glide Forums

Engine Related Engine Builds and more for Road Glides

Sponsored by Drago's Bike Works

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Prospect
 
TXcruiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: DFW TX
Posts: 250
Harley B lifters

Anyone got a spare set? Part number 18538-99B.

Other than the B's and the woods version, anyone having good luck with any others? I can't seem to find a single make that people are happy with??

'12 FLTRX
TXcruiser is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 07:40 AM
Engine Expert
 
DragoBikeWorks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: 4977 Torque Rd Loves Park ILL, 61111
Posts: 1,908
We use.
Feuling HP lifters
Comp Cam
Gat.
etc....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXcruiser View Post
Anyone got a spare set? Part number 18538-99B.

Other than the B's and the woods version, anyone having good luck with any others? I can't seem to find a single make that people are happy with??

When Others Promise Power We make it Happen. Quality-Performance-Respect-Drago's Bike Works 815-765-1790

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DragoBikeWorks is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 12:02 PM
Engine Expert
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Munnsville,N.Y.
Posts: 1,274
Send a message via AIM to Hillsidecycle.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXcruiser View Post
Anyone got a spare set? Part number 18538-99B.

Other than the B's and the woods version, anyone having good luck with any others? I can't seem to find a single make that people are happy with??
You will NOT find a bad word said in cyberville, in regards to the S&S units.
We have gone that route here, as the B's are gone, the C's are junk, and complaints on others.
S&S part # 33-5351.
We have them on the shelf 24/7.
Scott

HILLSIDE MOTORCYCLE & MACHINE, INC.
HARLEY-DAVIDSON SPEED & SERVICE CENTER
5225 SOUTH MAIN ST.
MUNNSVILLE, N.Y. 13409
315-495-6650 tel/fax

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Complete HD machine shop
Complete HD cylinder head shop
High Performance Engine Kits
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Direct Link Dyno Tuning
HD Extended Warranty Center
MMI Certified Mechanics
S&S Cycle Warranty Center
Walk-in Retail Store
Maxton Mile Land Speed Class Record
30 years of Harley-Davidson engine building.
Hillsidecycle.com is offline  
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 11:20 PM
Prospect
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Gold Coast of California
Posts: 250
Garage
Just curious, but what is the value of changing lifters from stock?

BG

bikepsych, 2009 RoadGlide
Dragos H Pipe, Spr trpp FatShots 23 Discs,
PCV, Dave Mackie 103Mega kit with TC598L cams
bikepsych is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Prospect
 
TXcruiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: DFW TX
Posts: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepsych View Post
Just curious, but what is the value of changing lifters from stock?

BG
Just for reliability. If I was keeping the bike stock and not swapping cams, I would just keep running the stock C lifters until they needed changing.

'12 FLTRX
TXcruiser is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 07:14 PM
Member
 
RoadGlideGary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Colorado's first Capital
Posts: 460
Unless you have little to no miles on your current lifters you should consider changing them out when you do your cams. I went with Fueling. Best price I found was with site vendor - DHP. Do it right the first time.
RoadGlideGary is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 12:11 PM
Engine Expert
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Munnsville,N.Y.
Posts: 1,274
Send a message via AIM to Hillsidecycle.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXcruiser View Post
Just for reliability. If I was keeping the bike stock and not swapping cams, I would just keep running the stock C lifters until they needed changing.
The C units have a pile of lateral movement, FWIW.
Scott

HILLSIDE MOTORCYCLE & MACHINE, INC.
HARLEY-DAVIDSON SPEED & SERVICE CENTER
5225 SOUTH MAIN ST.
MUNNSVILLE, N.Y. 13409
315-495-6650 tel/fax

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Complete HD machine shop
Complete HD cylinder head shop
High Performance Engine Kits
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Direct Link Dyno Tuning
HD Extended Warranty Center
MMI Certified Mechanics
S&S Cycle Warranty Center
Walk-in Retail Store
Maxton Mile Land Speed Class Record
30 years of Harley-Davidson engine building.
Hillsidecycle.com is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 12:10 AM
Hangaround
 
bigjim1661's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 114
WE ALWAYS AMS-HYLIFT...NEVER A PROBLEM!
Below is from the AMS site. We agree 100% with these statements!

From 1999 - 2001, Johnson-Hylift supplied lifters to Harley-Davidson...
Johnson-Hylift designed and produced a special piston and valve body
to work across the temp ranges and varying oil psi typically encountered
on a Harley engine. Since 2001, in a cost-savings move, HD has used
Delphi hydraulic lifters, which explains Harley's p/n change from
18538-99 to 18538-99A, and after some problems, a second Delphi lifter
was used, p/n 18538-99B. However, Delphi still did not use a 0.655"
hi-volume / hi-pressure plunger and valve body like those specifically
designed for Harley by Johnson-Hylift. After some research AMS learned
Delphi 18538-99B lifters bleed down rather quickly due to the
higher engine temps and heavy valve spring pressure found on most
Harley Twin Cam's. The oil reservoir inside the lifter is too small,
allowing the lifter to clatter, and likely causes many Twin-Cam bikes
to be noisy. Note: ALL lifters bleed off during operation and even
more-so when the bikes sits, engine off.


Tom at AMS has known Chet Starron, who owns Johnson-Hylift, for many
years. Chet put Tom in touch with the original engineer of the earlier HD
18538-99 lifters, which don't seem to be as noisy as those made by Delphi.
Working with Hylift' engineering staff, AMS modified a Johnson-Hylift lifter,
to accept a very precise check valve, a larger plunger that allows more oil
reservoir volume, and a ball seat that fits much tighter, yet has an oil feed
groove to allow more upper rocker box oiling. The result was a significantly
improved lifter, with a much bigger internal oil reservoir that will keep the
lifter/pushrod from bleeding too much and bottoming out. The bigger
reservoir maintains a cushion of oil inside. The improved ball seat ensures
better top-end rocker oiling and better pushrod tip fit.... all of which makes
for a quieter lifter.




AMS and Hylift have continued to develop this lifter, and today, we offer
3 versions of the AMS-Hylift lifter for Harley Twin Cam applications:


AMS A2313S for stock and performance street bikes. $29.95 each


AMS A2313R for all out, hi-rev racing applications. $39.95


AMS A2313-002 this is a 0.002" oversized version of the AMS2313, for use
in cases with worn lifter bores. $39.95


We recommend using Andrews adjust pushrods, or stock non-adjustable
pushrods with them... however other brand adjustable pushrods will work
too. These lifters have a wide preload range, which makes for easy
installation if adjustable push rods are used.

There are many other things that can cause "lifter" noise - it can be coil
bind, rocker to spring cap interference, spring cap to stems / guide length
interference, poor oiling, high lift cam profile causing loft, overheating motor,
wrong oil viscosity for ambient temperatures, aerated oil, low oil pressure,
gear drive backlash, worn drive chains, etc. However if you're convinced
you've eliminate all of these things, and the lifters still rattle, then the next
step is to a set AMS-Hylift Lifters. With their larger oil reservoirs, they will
usually lessen or eliminate the noise.

HOLESHOT CHOPPERS and PERFORMANCE
2421 Mercantile Dr Suite F
Rancho Cordova CA
95742
916-852-8352 ext 101
bigjim1661 is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 12:20 AM
Life Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: missoula,mt
Posts: 2,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim1661 View Post
WE ALWAYS AMS-HYLIFT...NEVER A PROBLEM!
Below is from the AMS site. We agree 100% with these statements!

From 1999 - 2001, Johnson-Hylift supplied lifters to Harley-Davidson...
Johnson-Hylift designed and produced a special piston and valve body
to work across the temp ranges and varying oil psi typically encountered
on a Harley engine. Since 2001, in a cost-savings move, HD has used
Delphi hydraulic lifters, which explains Harley's p/n change from
18538-99 to 18538-99A, and after some problems, a second Delphi lifter
was used, p/n 18538-99B. However, Delphi still did not use a 0.655"
hi-volume / hi-pressure plunger and valve body like those specifically
designed for Harley by Johnson-Hylift. After some research AMS learned
Delphi 18538-99B lifters bleed down rather quickly due to the
higher engine temps and heavy valve spring pressure found on most
Harley Twin Cam's. The oil reservoir inside the lifter is too small,
allowing the lifter to clatter, and likely causes many Twin-Cam bikes
to be noisy. Note: ALL lifters bleed off during operation and even
more-so when the bikes sits, engine off.


Tom at AMS has known Chet Starron, who owns Johnson-Hylift, for many
years. Chet put Tom in touch with the original engineer of the earlier HD
18538-99 lifters, which don't seem to be as noisy as those made by Delphi.
Working with Hylift' engineering staff, AMS modified a Johnson-Hylift lifter,
to accept a very precise check valve, a larger plunger that allows more oil
reservoir volume, and a ball seat that fits much tighter, yet has an oil feed
groove to allow more upper rocker box oiling. The result was a significantly
improved lifter, with a much bigger internal oil reservoir that will keep the
lifter/pushrod from bleeding too much and bottoming out. The bigger
reservoir maintains a cushion of oil inside. The improved ball seat ensures
better top-end rocker oiling and better pushrod tip fit.... all of which makes
for a quieter lifter.




AMS and Hylift have continued to develop this lifter, and today, we offer
3 versions of the AMS-Hylift lifter for Harley Twin Cam applications:


AMS A2313S for stock and performance street bikes. $29.95 each


AMS A2313R for all out, hi-rev racing applications. $39.95


AMS A2313-002 this is a 0.002" oversized version of the AMS2313, for use
in cases with worn lifter bores. $39.95


We recommend using Andrews adjust pushrods, or stock non-adjustable
pushrods with them... however other brand adjustable pushrods will work
too. These lifters have a wide preload range, which makes for easy
installation if adjustable push rods are used.

There are many other things that can cause "lifter" noise - it can be coil
bind, rocker to spring cap interference, spring cap to stems / guide length
interference, poor oiling, high lift cam profile causing loft, overheating motor,
wrong oil viscosity for ambient temperatures, aerated oil, low oil pressure,
gear drive backlash, worn drive chains, etc. However if you're convinced
you've eliminate all of these things, and the lifters still rattle, then the next
step is to a set AMS-Hylift Lifters. With their larger oil reservoirs, they will
usually lessen or eliminate the noise.
I did two AMS 96" builds and 2 out of 8 AMS lifters failed very quickly. Tom was great about replacing them quickly but it was still a pain because I/we did not use adjustables so had to pull the rockers to replace. He acknowledged there was a problem with them and said they have improved since because of my experience.
jeff is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 12:21 AM
Life Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: missoula,mt
Posts: 2,016
Gaterman is supposed to actually have the -99B's or the last of the _99B stock selling under his name.
jeff is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome