Road Glide banner

Torque wrench

4K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  Triplej 
#1 ·
I know it's been asked and answered but I can find neither with the search engine. Where can I find the most reasonable and accurate in/lb torque wrench? Thanks

#2 ·
The stuff at harbor freight works just fine. I've never had s problem with anything I've purchased there.

#9 ·
If youre only using it once and awhile to service the scoot then any one mentioned before will do just fine. Find one with the price you like and go for it. If you plan on using one pretty much all the time get one from a tool supplier like a snap-on or other company. They can handle the abuse better but youll pay dearly for it and they are warrantied. At the shop i have a couple big name ones that have been in service for several years without issue. Proper care is the main thing. Return the torque setting back to zero when not in use on any one you choose.

#10 ·
in every Bagger or American Iron magazine there is a full page of Harber Freight coupons. The torque wrenches are there every time. The 1/2, 3/8 and 1/2 clicker torque wrenches are always $9.99 with coupon. They seem to work just fine but I have never checked them as to accuracy.

#13 ·
I used a 3/8 harbor freight for a while. Then I was torquing a banjo bolt on the abs box and it never did click. Ended up breaking off the head of the bolt with bolt still down in abs box. Never again!! Gotta snap on now. In my experience with torque wrenches, you get what ya pay for.

#15 ·
I bought a new inch pound torque wrench from Harbor Freight thinking I did not want to spend much as I would hardly use it. I was replacing the bolt on my derby cover, I set the torque and while torquing the bolt it stripped as the wrench never clicked. Never again will I buy cheap tools, just not worth it.
It does happen and you do get what you pay for. If you are looking for a quality Torque Wrench and you don't mind spending a few bucks the units by Precision Instruments are top quality and they look suspiciously like the Snap On Torque Wrenches, just saying :D

http://www.tooltopia.com/search.aspx?find=precision+instruments&manufacturer=183

#14 ·
I bought a new inch pound torque wrench from Harbor Freight thinking I did not want to spend much as I would hardly use it. I was replacing the bolt on my derby cover, I set the torque and while torquing the bolt it stripped as the wrench never clicked. Never again will I buy cheap tools, just not worth it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.