Add a Siren to your Factory Security for $6

213K views 494 replies 260 participants last post by  craigffb 
#1 ·
Ok, it'll be a little less than $6.

(Excuse the dirty bike.)

Works well, and is definitely cheap.

See less See more
#351 ·
Id bet that you can get the male side to that plug and crimp on some factory style pins to make it a true plug in setup for under 15 bucks. Does anyone know the name of the style of plug that is used on the 15 RGS? I would like to have an audible component but would like it to be without electrical tape.

#358 ·
So after months of toying with this project........I have looked all over for the correct style of plug to no avail.....What I did find on eBay is a guy that has the siren with the correct plug for sale.....$19.95 plus $5 for shipping and it is truly plug and play. I know its not the $6 mod.....and you can still do that if you want to deal with the electrical tape/silicone sealant wiring issues......

I figure if and when the siren dies.....I'll cut the old siren off and replace it with the RS siren. Heck, the RS siren I purchased costs closer to $8 now and if you can ever find the correct pins and all the associated pieces for the plug.....I'd be amazed if it costs less than $10.

oh, here's a link to the eBay item.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-...rcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item462fe9bd73

#363 ·
siren update

Mod is awesome!!!! works like a charm... added the 2nd alarm...even better.. as far as the connector issue, I just cut the plug off ( i will not be buying their siren ) and soldered the wires together, one really good way to make sure it lasts is, i used heat shrinking tube/tape and after the joint was soldered i heat shrunk the connection.... great mod!!!! BTW once you do this mod...why not do the garage door mod ( really works great also and no digging for that damn remote )... ride safe all ....

One last thing .....
if you plan on doing any of the mods listed on the site and the mod requires parts from Radio Shack , you better get off the dime and get the parts needed for the simple reason being that radio shack is going out of business / bankruptcy...good luck

#369 ·
If you haven't done this with the RS siren, yo're too late. Radio shack has filed for bankruptcy and has closed their stores, at least here in the mid-west.

#372 · (Edited)
Did this very cheap, very easy mod a few weeks ago. Thanks to all who posted their experiences and made it so.

Try moving your fob/keys 20' or so away and just stand the bike up. Mine chirps a few times, then goes off if you don't put it back on the stand. Didn't even try to start it, though I know when fob is close I can start bike and leave it there running while going back into the house with fob in pocket.

#374 ·
Did this very cheap, very easy mod a few weeks ago. Thanks to all who posted their experiences and made it so.

Try moving your fob/keys 20' or so away and just stand the bike up. Mine chirps a few times, then goes off if you don't put it back on the stand.

(I Will try that later) - hope it works!

Didn't even try to start it, though I know when fob is close I can start bike and leave it there running while going back into the house with fob in pocket.
(same)

Thanks!

#380 · (Edited)
2ea. RS piezo sirens from RS store shutting down... $1.98 ea.
2ea. RS sub-pin connectors loose in parts bin... $0.00
1ea. left-over shrink tube from my toolbox... $0.00
1ea. left-over hooks/loops velcro strips from my toolbox... $0.00
1ea. borrowed soldering tool... $0.00
1ea. 6" long solder wire given by solder tool loaner... $0.00
1ea. 2-siren alarm system for my '15 RGS... PRICELESS

I just did this a few days ago...Thank You ALL who contributed to this....and a special shout out to swomack for helping an electrically challenged brother out with simple instructions and encouragment. I'm on a mini sojourn riding my bike on my first trip ever to the Grand Canyon. This simple and inexpensive mod gives me added peace of mind when I'm off the bike. Works as advertised. Chirps, farts, and barks like crazy when disturbed. I just gotta remember to put the FOB as far away from my bike that's parked right outside my ground-floor motel window about 20ft away ;)

#385 ·
I found one of the radio shack versions on ebay for $8 shipped. Since I make connectors for a living, I already had some automotive style pins. I soldered one to each wire and poked em' in. Some electrical tape and velcro to hold it in place I was done in 10 min. Works perfect. On thing I did do different.... I turned the speaker side to the frame in one of the openings in the fuse housing. I thought I might get more volume if the sound went into the open area behind the engine instead of the side cover. It may not make much difference though.