Road Glide banner

Sirius Stratus 6 install

31K views 43 replies 29 participants last post by  Wharf Rat 
#1 ·
I'm an avid fan of Sirius and have been wanting to listen to it on my RG since I bought her and finally came up with an affordable solution (at least for me) I had looked into changing out the stock HK unit with a marine grade, mp3, CD, satellite ready unit. But after doing some research and finding out that the cost of a new head unit, the sirius tuner, the interface module so my stock hand controls work and other odds and ends I was over $600! Granted, if I'd have gone that route I would have had a completely integrated system resulting in a really clean install but then I'd also have to pay for another subscription so instead I came up with this.

I was looking at the iron aces iPhone/gps mount link on this forum and saw that it was perfect for what I wanted to do. I had just installed my 12" Oulawz bars and spent the time running the wires internally and didn't want to mess up the clean look by running wires and the mount etc on my bars. So I ordered one of their standard mounts. I feel it is pretty expensive for such a small piece and for what it does, but, the quality and customer service is top notch and I'm very happy with their product.

I also wanted the install to sound as clear as possible and have as few wires showing as possible. I bought a Sirius direct wire kit and spliced it in to the cigarette lighter circuit for the power. I also bought a Sirius FM direct adapter that plugs straight in to the head unit antenna jack for clean static free tunes.

I mounted the antenna on top of the stock radio and in 1000 miles of riding I haven't dropped a signal yet.

I'm still thinking about cutting a hole in the gauge pod cover, installing a grommet and running the wires through just to really clean it up but for now I'm going to leave it as is.

The mount is solidly built and the Sirius is rock solid. It's right in front of me yet out of the way. Doesn't hit on anything from lock to lock and I'm 5'10" and slouch a little while riding and the sirius unit blocks off about half of the time display on the head unit which I can live with. My only concern/worry is how it's going to handle all the vibes. Guess time and miles will tell.

I'm still looking for a rain cover but for now I keep two ziplock 1qt plastic bags and a big rubber band in my dash pocket just in case. I had to use this method on saturday and it worked perfect.

Attachments

See less See more
#10 ·
Since the antenna is magnetic I stuck it to the top of the radio underneath the fairing. The only time I've had signal loss is when I've been riding on roads that have a thick overhead canopy from trees. I'm going to install J&M Rokkers soon and an amp so I'm going to have to move it but for now this has worked very well.

#6 ·
I put my antenna on top of the radio too. (Inside the Fairing)
Just a word. If you add the Metal Windshield Trim (58519-07A), make sure to move the antenna down to the end of the radio. I had mine in the center of the radio. The metal in the trim would cause the signal to skip, sometimes. When I moved the antenna down, problem solved.

#7 ·
Thats good to know, i want to add sirius soon, not sure which portable unit i will buy. I am in the process of adding a 4 channel amp that will fit on top of the radio also but there should be room for both. I also wanted to get my first post in to see if everything was working lol. Thanks Roadgliderider

#8 · (Edited)
I have a Starmate 5 mounted on my right handlebar.
I like this position because i can change channels without taking
my hands far from the riding position.

#13 ·
Been planning out how to get Sirius when I get my RG (still waiting on the stupid insurance company to settle). The only problem with using the Sirius on my phone is that it only has FoxNews Radio and not the TV channel broadcast...plus riding somewhere like Ft. Irwin CA would have me losing signal, I lose data signal, I lose Sirius.

Plus I just replaced my old Starmate 2 with a Starmate 5 (new truck, new radio, lol) and am itchin' to put together a mount for it for the 'Glide....

#19 ·
I too have a Starmate 5 mounted on the right side of the handlebar. I was able to purchase a Motorcycle install kit from TSS Radio http://www.tss-radio.com/t/sirius-motorcycle/ . The kit included a bracket that allowed me to mount the antenna right behind the Sirius receiver and then I routed the audio output to the Aux in of the HK.
It is a clean install and haven't had any issues for 2 years.

#24 ·
Yes, this is the SIRIUS Satellite Radio System using their Docking Station.
If you look at my previous photos, you will see the SIRIUS Docking station mounted on the right handlebar.

#29 ·
I use my phone. Has GPS, Sirius, and Phone :) Can plug into the aux & or bluetooth to my helmet ~ Had a zumo 550 on the Ultra with HD's xm box. Worked great but figured I'd attempt to save a few bucks with this setup for now. I mounted the phone under the baseplate of the MadStad with the samsumg car mount ~ Slightly modified... I'll shoot pics later.

#31 ·
I could do the same with my IPhone. Even save by dropping Sirius and use only Pandora.
But it is only good in areas with good Cell reception. It uses the cell towers to operate.
Traveling you may loose reception, or be set in the "Roaming" mode and cost extra money.
But if you never travel away from your Home area, it is great. I like to ride around and tour on my RG.

#32 ·
Stratus 6

I mounted the unit with heavy duty velcro above my speedo also. I zip tied the antenna wire to my brake cable and mounted the antenna on the right side of my windshield with the velcro also. This allows me to remove both to clean the bike. It works great.

#33 ·
Sirius !!

I believe THIS will be my next and soon Project!! Cool!!

#37 ·
Very cool mount! I'm doing this as I type,.... And easy.

#38 ·
I just bought the Alpine 149BT which is Sirius XM ready, so I bought a Sirius XM kit, I have two amps mounted on my radio so I don't know if there will be any room left for the antenna, I guess I'll find out soon, I'm just wondering if anybody has mounted that little antenna anywhere else. I have seen a "motorcycle" kit, but I definetly don't plan to use that kind of antenna if I can avoid it.

#39 ·
Very clean! Looks like it belongs there!:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.