Road Glide banner

Going to get new wheels this week

3K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  caboverbob 
#1 ·
I'm going to pull the trigger on my last mod (for the winter) this week. Wanted to know what opinions ya'll had.

I like the starburst look on wheels so I'm down to chrome Ride Wright fat daddy 50's or chrome Coastal Moto Mavericks. Price is comparable but I haven't been able to find much feedback on the Ride Wrights. I see CM Jeff on this site and his company has nothing but positive posts.

I'm going 18" front and 16" on the back. Any suggestions before I ring up the credit card are appreciated. Thanks

#2 ·
Just a couple of observations. From what I know, Ride Wright has a good reputation. Having said that, it's a true spoked wheel ... in any spoked wheels it's highly recommended to run tubes in them. No biggie, but an added cost. Secondly, do you know how to adjust and true up a spoked wheel? Have you ever cleaned a spoked wheel?

By contrast, the Maverick would be a mount it, balance it, and forget about it puchase.

Not trying to influence you're decision as much as just make you aware of a couple differences between the two types.

#4 ·
Had Black Fat Daddy's with chrome nips on my Night train and loved them. You will really need to go with a tube in the tires. Had one go flat because of a leak in one of the spokes. It was not the easiest thing to find, so finally just went with tubes in the tires.

#7 ·
Skip the spokes and go with Coastal Moto if those are your choices !! You'll be glad you did.

#10 ·
Most companies who make the fat spoke rims will seal the rims for you but have learned over time that they will usually start to leak. We will not sell sealed spoke rims as it only creates problems down the line. Run tubes and forget about it. The added expense is about $25 for 2 tubes which are recommended to be replaced each time you get new tires. As far as cleaning, I have the fat spoke rims on my softail and it is definitely a lobor of love keeping them clean. I have some on order for my DSyna too from Sinister http://sinisterwheel.com/company. You might be able to get them for a little less $ from Sinister if you talk to Ali.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.