Road Glide banner

Trouble getting into Neutral

3K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  h-donut 
#1 ·
Ok on my new bike getting it into neutral is a bitch. Is there something that can be done? All the other bikes I have owned might have been tricky but not like this.

Any help would be great!

#2 ·
Ride it. About the time you get to your 1k it should start to break in. You can also go to a heavier oil in the trans, seems to help somewhat.

I actually used to sometimes have to reach across the bike with my right hand and pull it up in to neutral!

#6 ·
You guys nailed it. Mine was awful trying to get into neutral at first. The more miles I put on the easier it got. I just went over 1000 miles this weekend and have noticed it's not a problem anymore. Got my 1K service set for later this week.

#7 ·
In addition to what's been stated - all good advice - if the primary was over-filled it will be hard to get into neutral when the motor is running. From dry I believe it should have 45 ounces, 38 when doing a change.

#10 ·
While you're at it, do a bit of searching for clutch adjustment. I'm not sure how they do it but somehow the factory manages to screw up the clutch adjustment, which is critical to finding neutral.

Try this, with the bike idling in 1st gear, try rolling the bike backwards on level ground. You should be able to roll it backwards in 1st gear the same as in neutral, if you can't your clutch adjustment is off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.