Road Glide banner

Twin-Cam Cam Chain System problems

5K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Deweys 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi Folks,
No too sure which area to put this, has anyone had problems their cam chain system and the plastic shoes used on the tensioner? I am asking after reading this article on J&P blog (see link below) that affects all twin-cam engines anywhere between 15k and 70k miles. J&P are recommending going to a gear system but are there other options.

http://links.email.jpcycles.com/ctt...IyMjYzNDc3MwS2&b=0&j=MTY3MjcwMDU5S0&mt=1&rt=0

#2 ·
I believe this is only an issue for 2006 and older TC models. The newer models use a hydraulic tensioner as opposed to the spring tensioner of earlier models. Some have had problems and many others haven't, but if in doubt, it is relatively easy to pop off the cam chest cover and inspect for wear.

#3 ·
I wouldn't take it as gospel anyway...on my 02,I heard a slight hissing from the cam cover one day,so I replaced the tensioners at 75,000 miles.It was the middle of the summer and my only bike,so I just threw in a set of stock tensioners and kept riding.that was almost 25,000 miles ago,no problems so far.

when I replaced mine,the inner was just barely down to the metal.

and these are the "bad" design? I've always ran Amsoil synthetic,donno if that made any difference or keeping it changed.

#4 ·
Yeah they fail, consider it a wear item on the earlier TC's. Check every 20K, replace as necessary. They're just trying to sell you new cams. If you are looking a cams anyway, go for it, if not, don't let it scare you...

#5 ·
Plain and simple scare tactics trying to generate sales.
The old system was not good, but a check every 20-30,000 miles was all that was needed to keep things in check.
I've not heard of an any issues on 2006-up bikes.

#7 ·
I don't know what year bike you have, but as stated in the TC88 they are known to wear, the TC96 has hydraulics so they will last a lot longer. I went to gear drive, but only after having my crank trued and welded. If you go to gear drive you better check your run out, or you will have problems, also Zippers has a kit for the cam tensioners that you may want to look at.

#9 ·
JP is trying to hawk the S&S kit, period. Many people riding the 06-earlier bikes have used the HD kit, and there are tons of people riding the 07-up bikes that came with it stock, and I'm not aware that people are having problems with the newer design.

#13 ·
Im getting ready to install a new Feuling oil pump, cam plate and timken inner cam bearings. So while I'm in there I'll install Zippers new "RED LINE" chain cam tensioners; they are a new design and duel piston. "If" you need tensioners you may want to think about these.

Food for thought,

Nevadasun

#15 ·
Good News
There is nothing wrong with the stock tensioners on 07up big twins. If you run the HD SE "Hybrid" kit and use the rear silent morse chain new story there, they can get chewed up because of the rough finish on the outside of the chain.
Most of the cam suppliers have adopted the hydra chain with open arms and the gear drive stuff is reserved for the highest performance racing motors. Not my words but I agree. They came from a guy named Tom Reiser.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.