Road Glide banner

Deer strike at 45mph

9K views 80 replies 67 participants last post by  Radioactive 
#1 ·
At 7am this morning in 35 degree weather I was T-boned by a large deer. I was on my way home from work and fortunately was wearing my heated gear, including outer pants with armour in the knees. I was also wearing my bulletproof vest from work underneath my other layers. I was travelling 45mph when it struck me. I took a hard hit to the ribs and my left knee when she tried to climb on board with me.

I'm not sure how, but in spite of being hit so hard I was forced off the road into the grass, I was able to keep the bike upright and come to a stop gradually about 100 feet or more from where I was hit. I actually made it back onto the road and into a driveway where I came to rest. Maybe it was the old motorman training or maybe just good luck.

The damage to the bike is excessive. The front fairing is damaged and possibly the front forks bent. The driving lights were snapped off up front. The tank is pretty scratched up. The worst damage was to the rear. The tourpak essentially exploded and all the contents, including my duty belt, were scattered down the road behind me. I was dragging what was left of the tourpak behind me. The bags are scratched up as are most of the parts. At first glance I would guess the damage is probably in the range of $7,000 to $10,000 but that is strictly a guess.

The deer went down but upon limping back to my duty belt and getting my gun, she must of decided she didn't want to be dinner tonight. She bolted from the scene.

I had the bike towed in to HD Atlanta and they have already started working on the damage estimate. Progressive is also doing their part. Quite frankly, I would normally be extremely upset, however I am just so amazed and blessed that I walked away from this without more serious injuries. The bike can be fixed or replaced.

See less See more
#32 ·
Thanks guys.......

In response to getting the ultra wrap-around lights, I actually already had the smoked LED wrap-around lights and loved the look so I'll replace them with the same.

My ribs are feeling much better. Almost no pain at all. My knee is still bothering me but very little. My concern there is surgery that I had on it a few years ago from a motorcycle accident at work. I think it's okay so I'll give it a little time. I did put it on the record with progressive that I had some knee pain incase I need to get it checked out later in the week. I really think it's okay and just needs a few days to recover.

I had 3 people tell me yesterday that I should buy a lottery ticket. 3 is my 'lucky' number. When I bought the ticket last night the power ball number on the ez pick ticket was 3. Let's hope my bike will turn into a CVO :)

I'm really picky about my vehicles. Usually if I get so much as a couple of grand in damage i'm at the dealership trading it once it's repaired. Like many have said, including myself, I'm fortunate to be able to talk about this. I've replayed it a million times. I'm surprisingly not concerned about the bike damage. I also wonder if the fairing being fixed, and taking the initial impact, played into the fact that I was able to keep it under control because of not causing a 'snapping' motion upon impact. It seems logical to me that if I was riding my old batwing that the impact would have been more likely to pull the steering to the left and take the bike down. As others have said, maybe somebody else took the bars for a minute and I was just along for the ride!!!

I love the color of the bike as it is, however if I end up with a complete paint job I will probably switch to the blue pearl. Progressive has always been great with me in the past but I've never had an 'at fault' accident, always the other driver. They certainly have been quick to contact me and have been very polite and professional. The rep did tell me this still is not considered an 'at fault' accident which is a good thing. I just wish one of the many witnesses had stopped to see if I was okay and could have given a statement to them. Nobody stopped which disgusts me. My deductible is $500. The fortunate thing is I carry a whopping $7,000 in accessory coverage. The reason for that is with my bike being a custom, the trunk and it's extras alone were $3,500 or so to have installed when I purchased. If I didn't have that coverage I would have likely been out of luck on getting that replaced. Looks like it paid to have that coverage.

I'll keep everybody posted on the insurance settlement outcome. Thanks for all the responses.

#33 ·
Training, training, training.

Your mc training is what kept you from more serious and life threatening injuries. I am always amazed at how good training seems to take over instinctively when a situation arises like this.

Good on you for keeping the rubber side down and using your training to be able to walk away.

A lesson for all us on here to get some type of mc training at some point in our riding lives. A little can't hurt, a yearly refresher will make you a better rider.

Get checked out by a doctor, even if your injuries are slight. Best to have it on record for the future.

#37 ·
Training is one thing and I'm sure it played a part in you keeping the bike upright. But, it is lucky you had grass on the side of the road you went off and not a tree!!!! Very glad you are OK. Nice job keeping it up brother.

It's hunting season in many places, get out there and kill some deer everyone!!! With guns or bows that is, not bikes.

#40 ·
Had the same thing happen with my CVO in April. Your swag on the cost is pretty close. Drug the left side after impact on the right but kept it up. New TP, pipes, engine guard, front brake master cylinder, inner/outer fairing and some odds and ends.
Training really does kick in. Glad your OK. Heal up quick. Hope Progressive treats you right.

#42 ·
Consider yourself a lucky man! I had about the same thing happen at 55 mph outside of Sturgis a few years back on my Road King. I hit the deer broadside, it wrapped around the bike with blood down one side, poop down the other. I also was able to keep the bike up and I thank the man up stairs for that! Bike got rebuilt, deer did not! Glad you made it through the ordeal with minor injuries!

#43 ·
Wow, hell of a hit. As others have said, I'm sure your training saved you.

Check out your gear well too, and see if Progressive will cover that if there's any damage. Last thing you need now is a malfunction due to the wreck.

Good luck on the repairs, and keep us posted on the updates.

Stay Safe...

#44 ·
Great job keeping her upright!! I hit a very large dog a few years back on my Electra Glide, so I feel your pain. I can’t get over how the tour pack just blew apart like that. Bikes can be replaced…nuff said

#45 ·
WOW,

As I followed behind my wife a deer came from nowhere & took her right off the bike, she also was very fortunate with some road rash & bruises & now a huge fear off the bastards.

A buddy 1 month ago had a deer come out of the ditch and take him right off the bike @ 55mph, he just got released from hospital.

Glad you made it out without any major injuries.

Colin

#46 ·
I couldn't help thinking about the resemblance in the first photo to some of the devastated homes in the NJ area where the American flag is still flying. It's as if the bike is saying, "I'll come through this and will recover!" Quite an experience. Hopefully the deer will spread the word not to mess with Road Glides.

#47 ·
Glad you're OK. - - - God, fairing, vest, training. Of those 4 factors, if the first 3 hadn't already been in play, the last one wouldn't have mattered much.

Yeah, the fact that nobody stopped sucks. We're turning into some calloused sob's, imho. Most people don't know how to act anymore and it's a shame. 40 years ago, you'd have had a crowd stop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.