Road Glide banner

Valvetrain rattle in 2011 Roadglide Custom

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  simadownow6988 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, I recently purchased a 2011 Roadglide Custom. I am really loving it. It is amazing that a bike this big can handle this well.

The only issue i am having is some valvetrain noise, it rattles at all speeds but is most noticeable at 2200rpm. I mentioned it to the dealer and was told that some TC motors had more noise than others, that this was normal and that there was no valvetrain adjustment because of the hydraulic valvetrain.

This sounds like BS to me. I have built a few car engines in the past and even with hydraulic valvetrain there is still valve adjustment.

The bike has almost 1000 miles on it and I have been waiting until the first service to make them address this.

I have ridden a couple of other harleys recently (an 2010 with 10K on it and a 2012 with 500miles )and neither of them have any noise.

have any of you had this issue and was the dealer able to fix it?

#4 ·
They're all noisy to some extent, some worse than others. There's been ump-teen gazillion "cures", new lifters, new pushrods, rocker arm supports, rocker arm shims, cams, oil pumps, thicker oil, thinner oil, etc, you name it, it's been claimed to be the cure, damn few of them do anything.
My '11 103" RGU is way quieter than my '01 95" Ultra Classic was

No, there is no adjustment in the stock valvetrain.

#6 ·
valve train noise

That may be what I have. Only rattles since I had cams installed. Does it at 2200 rpm anytime I accelerate. Rattel quits at about 2500.

#7 ·
Gut your cat and take the stuffing out of your Rush pipes, then the noise will go away. Problem solved....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.