Road Glide banner

Windshield not AS important as you might think (buffeting)

17K views 54 replies 42 participants last post by  ontuy 
#1 ·
Firstly, if you're one of those 4 people that can't tell the difference between clean air and dirty air turbulence, and think "you want no wind, drive a car"... don't bother to continue reading. You don't know what is going on.....

As I've said before, I've done my wind management in stages, this way I could tell what worked, and how well. Installed in this order, days apart...

1) 8" Klock Werks - failed. Worse than stock

2) 12" Klock Werks - Worked well, felt like it cut at least 50% of the buffeting.

3) Sancho's Wings - Made another giant leap, felt an immediate difference

4) HD Wind Deflectors - Another large step

With all 3 installed, I could not be happier. I feel almost zero dirty air turbulence :D

Here's where it gets interesting.

Last week I decided to put my stock thumbnail shield back on, because I planned on only doing some low speed, around town riding for a bit, and I miss the overall look with it on. Long story short, I end up on the freeway anyway, and am doing 80-90mph speeds.

All I felt was CLEAN air coming up over the top of the screen, NO DIRTY AIR, no head bobbling, no double vision. It was like riding my old cruiser that had no fairing/screen... it felt WONDERFUL, and actually, it felt better because the fairing cut down on some of the wind, taking pressure off my chest.

The Sanchos and the HD Deflectors are eliminating the MAJORITY of the dirty air. Seems that the biggest problem we have is the dirty air coming from around the sides of the fairing and up from under the fairing, between the forks.

Before I had done anything, on the day of delivery, any speeds over 55mph were almost unbearable. Couldn't even read giant freeway exit signs because of double and triple vision due to my head being tossed around in that pocket of crossed-air. Now, with the stock screen (but retaining Sanchos and HD deflectors), I can ride comfortably in anything less than a medium-high windy day. For long trips I will toss my KW back on of course, but aside from that... i will be able to keep my thumbnail on.

SO before dropping $200, $300 on a shield... add the $40 Sanchos and the $35 HD Deflectors. I bet your experience will be at least 90% better, and you might not "need" an expensive screen afterall.

*Additional notes
I'm 6' with 34" inseam and always wear a fullface helmet

See less See more
#27 ·
This has been more my experience, "the screen will still be an important step".
I have a 13' custom, stock shield, wings & the deflectors, neither one make a
difference, by themselves or together. At about 60-65, ears are being drummed
pretty bad, can't hear radio, blast coming over screen shaking glasses to the point
of blurred vision, knew the windshield was too short but was hopeful. I have a LRS
Mako on the way but hope to run a 8" black klock werks once I put my bars on and get
seating position back & down where I want to be. Then perhaps these other items
will be of some use

#11 ·
Nice write up here RGCBandit. Rather than getting a new windscreen which may not help me appreciably from what I already have, I will try what you just did.

#13 ·
Agree with lowers being the finishing touch. I used an Airlight last weekend in the morning then removed it in the afternoon. The lower chaps on my highway bars helped significantly. I am buying vented lowers over the winter.

#14 ·
I won't be adding lowers, far too hot here in South Florida for those. Even open, they are too restrictive. They also hold all the engine heat around you while stopped at long lights. :mad:

Half the reason I swapped back to my stock screen was to get more airflow and reduce the heat.

#24 ·
I havent done the hd deflectors yet but the sanchos helped a lot and im still running the stock shield. I think next spring im goin to grab the deflectors and add those on as well
Thanks for letting me ride your bike yesterday, *******. :eek:

Here are my observations from someone who is 5-10 with a 30" inseam (since his post he's added the HD deflectors):

A lot of wind blast, and wind noise. For me the wind noise is the biggest problem, but fighting wind will sap my energy on long rides.

So now I have to decide between CeeBaileys and Windvest when I get my FLTRU. I like the clean seam at the fairing that Ceebaileys has, but I dont know what benefit is other than cosmetic.

#16 ·
I agree.

On my old roadglide I experienced much worse turbulence when running a simple 8" screen than I get from the thumbnail. The OEM large and slightly smaller ClearView windscreens beat me up pretty bad also. I picked up a set of the Deflectors late last year, and they helped but not a ton, I do not have them on the new bike. Honestly haven't felt a need.

I feel the change in fairing tilt has also contributed to improved air handling a bit.

I'm 6'2" and ride with fullface helmet 99% of the time with the face shield open 90% of the time. On the old bike my face shield would rattle like crazy above 65mph and slam shut above 75... On the new bike I get no rattle and have not had it close even once. I routinely ride over 80mph and last weekend was above a ton.

Clean direct air blast is far more manageable in my opinion than even a little dirty air.

I have not tried them, but I can see why Sancho's wings help. Those who have long beards know how much UPward traveling air is coming from your knees and the vacuum behind the screen. Long beards will blow up in front of your eyes LOL...

#17 ·
I have been pointing out on the forum that the windshield is not the fix for buffeting because most of the air that causes buffeting comes from below the fairing. Without fairing lowers you will get a lot of air flow from under the fairing coming up to your head. With fairing lowers the air flow is almost eliminated, the HD wind deflectors do help with the air coming up in front of the fuel tank. I have used the Sancho Wings and they really do not help that much IMO, if you are riding you can stick your hand out and feel the air flow from the side of the RG fairing and the way the fairing is designed the air flow is directed away from the rider very well.

#18 ·
Hey bandit, what deflectors are you talking about? I bought the HD deflectors for my Heritage that fit on the forks but didn't like the look and never did get around to installing them. Are those the ones you're talking about?

Why aren't there some sancho's wings for the bottom of the fairing and not just the side? Seems like that'd be a good fix. Just something to flip the wind downward to counteract that wind trying to come up from below. It's easy to tell where your buffeting comes from by placing your forearm across your chest to block that lower breeze.

I think the OE toenail looked the best and the air coming over it was nice and clean - cept for all the bug guts hitting my face. Didn't mind it so much when I was younger but now the impact is not only painful but it disrupts my morning meditation, lolol....

#22 ·
Sanchos are coming next. I will agree that the HD deflectors were an improvement and the price made it even better. I would say though if you have a passenger the windshield will make a big difference. I'm interested to know how the sanchos affected the passenger by the look of te design I bet it was a positive difference.
Thanks for the write up!

#23 ·
I know that my wife's SG has a lot less air hitting her (or me when I slum ;)) and all I did was add the dog dish/half moon deflector between the forks, the deflectors on the lower fork legs, Windvest 8" windshield and a Mustang seat. She's happy, that's all that matters

On mine I've added the dog dish, Sancho's Wings, Cee Bailey windshield (16" Euro), and a Mustang seat. I get a bit of air but it's pretty clean and manageable.

I've thought about adding the deflectors on the lower fork legs or the highway bar lowers but don't want to lose all the air flow. I have a truck for that. lol

Stephen

#25 ·
The Harley Deflectors made a huge difference for me. I forget what install I was doing, but I forgot to put the deflectors back on before going for a test ride, and it was awful. That is when I looked down and saw the ooops, the deflectors were back in the garage. Put them back on, and it was back to smooooooooooth :cool: I also took out the half-moon deflector that mounts to the top of the forks. It seems that was working at cross purposes with the tank deflectors.

I don't have the wings, I have lowers. I take the doors out in summer, so it is not nearly as hot. I keep the lowers on because, with the magnetic doors, I actually use the storage (that is where I keep the sunblock!). In winter, the doors go back on, and get closed, and it really helps keep the legs warm.

#37 ·
This thread makes me happy I bought the ultra, with the lowers. I have air deflectors and wings with a 8" toenail. Able to light and smoke my cigars in comfort at 60 mph, that's good enough for me.

ooops, the deflectors were back in the garage.
Oh I too took off last week with the air deflectors left in the garage, and missed them. They do push the air around the tank. Reinstalled and enjoying another good smoke. :cool:

#26 ·
I bought my new 2012 FLTRX about three weeks ago and immediately realized that I needed to do something about the buffeting at highway speed. It was so bad I couldn't wear glasses (goggles were the only option) while running at anything over 60mph. After reading the postings here, I ordered HD wind deflectors, Sancho's wings and a 13" MadStad windshield. The HD deflectors arrived first so they went on first. Nice, simple installation and honestly made an instant improvement. A couple of days later the wings and the MadStad arrived. I installed the MadStad and went for a good long ride and all I can say is Holy siht! What an incredible difference! Where I was not even able to wear glasses, now I was able to cruise at 80mph and wear sunglasses while hearing my music perfectly! The difference was really amazing. If you're on the fence about buying one of these, I STRONGLY recommend that you take the plunge.

#28 ·
I've been through the whole game of Road Glide wind protections woes, for both driver and passenger. On my '09, the final solution was the wind deflectors, vented lowers, fork baffle, sancho's wings, and the 13" madstad. I added the madstad mainly for the passenger, but I couldn't complain about how great the air pocket was! Now that I've got my '13 ultra, with just the lowers, deflectors, and madstad, I cannot seem to get the air pocket near as nice as I used to. I'll credit this to Sancho's wings- I wont install them until after the inner fairing is painted. To anyone on the fence about Sancho's wings, regardless of windshield size and/or lowers, give them a try!

#31 ·
It's my opinion that the sole cause of the buffeting is the change in fairing angle that came in 2010 model year. That is why Sancho Wings work so well, he made a product that replaces the surface area that has been lost with the angle change resulting in the dirty air being behind you. My 2009 was dirty air free, right out of the box, and I surely never had the beard in the face at highway speeds like I do now. I don't notice any difference with or without the tank/crash bar mounted air deflectors, but I believe wings will fix the issue for most.

#35 ·
The 09 and earlier was worst then the 2010 and later models! How do I know this? Rode my 08 FLTR for 4 years and I tried all sort of wind shields and any thing else I could come up with including the Sancho Wings. Raised my fairing last year and put on the vented fairing lowers and 80 to 90% of the dirty air is gone. It has noting to do with the upper fairing all of the buffeting come from below the upper fairing.

#32 ·
It also depends if you wear a fullface or a brain bucket. Brain buckets are ok but for those that wear FF it straight sucks. I put the toenail on and got lots of turbulence(no buffeting) but when i tucked in and had air flow above my head I knew that I needed a shield that can go over my head

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.