Road Glide banner

Proposed Shark Week in Maine, part 2

43K views 323 replies 97 participants last post by  reficul 
#1 · (Edited)
A couple weeks ago I had posted a thread to try to gauge the level of interest that the membership would have in attending a Shark Week in Maine/NH. This thread isn't about what has to be done to host SW4 in Maine or how it needs to be presented. We simply are trying to gauge the level of interest of the membership in attending an event in the White Mountains of Maine and New Hampshire.

We can promise:

- excellent mountainside lodging options at a reasonable rate (for New England in the summer time)

- extraordinary mountain views everywhere you look and opportunities to take a chairlift or gondola to the top of one of the area's major ski areas. Or for the more adventurous, take a zip line ride part way down the mountain

- roads to ride that will leave you breathless and will make you think about "calling in sick" and extending your vacation time here

- a day ride that will include a trip up the world famous Mt. Washington Auto Road for those who aren't faint of heart. Here's a sample: http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...=hT0YzS_sV6w&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13525622313414

- a day ride through the Lakes Region that's host to the oldest motorcycle rally in the U.S. - Laconia

- and an opportunity for you to enjoy some of Maines best seafood and lobster along with some wonderful craft beers

Please give us your thoughts as to whether you'd be interested in doing this as a National Shark Week Rally. Thanks in advance for your input.

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm in. Like I said before if you need a stop over in CT on your way to Maine, I have a decent size backyard, an extra room, a big grill, and a ton of beer. Also a lot of cigars for those interested.

Northwoods, great idea on Maine. I would help anyway possible. Even if I have to take some day trips to Maine to help plan it...:D

#5 ·
I would consider a Shark rally in NH. I've been to Laconia and the Kancamagus highway areas before and agree that NH offers riders great scenery for riders. Mt. Washington is a must for first timers. Figure out a date if the interest is there

I'd like the chance to get to meet Tracy and Frankie and see their incredible bikes in person.
My wife and I are planning a Nova Scotia trip for next year and will be going thru Maine and New Hampshire. Maybe we can plan the trip for the same time frame.

#6 ·
i would be interested. never been to maine and would welcome the oportunity. thanks for the post

#8 · (Edited)
Nicely put :) I lived in Many States in the country and 3 different countries through the years and Maine is my favorite state, Northwoods is right about that. We have plenty of helpers and a incredible sate to have a rally. We are not looking for fame, more work or recognition, is just that we do not mind doing the work to share our pice of heaven with friends.

#11 ·
Yup, we all report to a "higher authority"! :D

G
#14 ·
I used to live in that part of the U.S. many years ago and can say that is some beautiful country. My first SW will be this year and it happens to only be 800 miles each way. I had a prior engagement last year and couldn't make it to SWII. I know I can't make them all and that's ok. People might get tired of seeing me that much anyway. lol It will be nice to hear all the proposals at SWIII and see how it pans out. Best of luck to everyone making a bid. Kudos to those that have enough gumption to want to host one!!

#15 · (Edited)
Maine sounds like a great idea!

I'm just a lowly forum member, but I will say I'm opposed to the notion of someone having to be in attendance at the current SW in order to make a presentation/pitch for the next one. Sounds like a sure-fire way to miss out on some great locations.

Rather, I'd like to see that every proposal be given the courtesy of equal consideration. If the would-be host can't attend they should assign a proxy to do the presenting. I would say that every serious proposal should have a presentation.

#17 · (Edited)
..... I'd like to see that every proposal be given the courtesy of equal consideration. If the would-be host can't attend they should assign a proxy to do the presenting. I would say that every serious proposal should have a presentation.
That is actually what we are planning at SW III. Northwoods and Gman only need to send a rep or proxy. They're not disqualified simply because the distance is too great for them to attend personally. (BTW we do have a Mainer that's signed on for SW III) The plan is for all presentations to be given equal time and equal weight - and decided upon by those who are most likely to be attending future events. Obviously it would be an advantage for the main player or players to be present for Q & A purposes, but I don't see why a rep or remote connect can't do that. It's also important that one bidding to be a host experience what goes on at Shark Week, have some knowledge of what is expected, and for the membership to make sure we don't hand the event to some lunkhead that we only know by his forum postings. Gman has been to the first two Shark Weeks, so he knows what the deal is (and he's not a lunkhead).:) I'm not too sure about Northwoods, though.;):)

As for me personally, 3400 miles ain't too much for me. I'd do it in a heartbeat. I'd like to hear from some more potential hosts, though. Some of the Texas boys mentioned the possibility, there has been talk about Arkansas, and I think HOGWILD threw out the possibility of North Carolina, an area I'd be particularly interested in, as well as Maine.

#22 ·
Out hope has always been to try and rotate the location of the rallies in an attempt to make it accessible to forum members from different parts of the country.

With that said... SW will be held wherever we can if there are people who are willing to shoulder the work.

Rotation of the sites is ideal but we also need to hold it in areeas that are near large numbers of members and places that offer great roads and sites .

Best regards,
Hutmo

#24 ·
IMHO I don't think whoever hosts a SW has to attend every one of them BUT I'd think whoever is up for taking the time and effort to host one would have had enough interest to at least attend one along the way. Moreso as the years pass and the number and various locations of SW's accumulate. There are many of us that like to ride so much if we started a four corner rotation and had it in a different corner of the country each year we'd be there.

As far as Maine goes, I'm in. Gman's a great guy and would be an excellent host, even though he does talk a little funny :D Im hopin if I can work it in next summer to get a little riding in up that way.

#25 ·
Ah hell if tdkkart is in so am I. 3400Km from Calgary to the resort. Going to crate my bike and ship it to Dreamrider. Fly to Montreal, ride to Maine, ride the 3400km back to Calgary.

#177 ·
Bought my crate from HD! They will strap her in tie her down and have a dock where the truck carrier can pick her up.

Riding through Sturgis on the way home meeting a bunch of sheep buddies that ride batwings and kings.

My vote is for SWIV in Maine eh:D.

#28 ·
I'm in for a New England SW. Between vacations of 2010 and 2012 I've hit all 6 new england states and I'd move there in a heartbeat to ride those roads on a daily basis, even the ones with roundabouts!?! I'm actually contemplating retirement to New England or splitting time between NC (old family homestead) and New England (April - October). Anyways, in short, I'm in and would really like a Hwy 1 ride up the Maine coast doing the lighthouse tour with SW, but I can do that on my up or on my way home.

#29 ·
There are 3 reasons not to ride the Rte. 1 coastal route during July or August - traffic, traffic, and more traffic, ... at least until you get north of the Camden/Rockport area. I originally thought of proposing an Acadia National Park, Bar Harbor area rally, but you'd have to do that in Sept. to make it at all affordable or fun, and I guess there are quite a few on here who depend on the rallys being held in the summer months due to kids or job issues.

If you get up this way give me a shout. I'm always looking for an excuse to ride a bit - providing I have the time. Worst case, I can give you a bunch of good riding and touristing suggestions.

#49 · (Edited)
I originally thought of proposing an Acadia National Park, Bar Harbor area rally, but you'd have to do that in Sept. to make it at all affordable or fun, and I guess there are quite a few on here who depend on the rallys being held in the summer months due to kids or job issues.

./QUOTE]
I'm a big time National Parks fan, been to over 80 in the last 5 years.

I'd come to Maine in the summer for a SW. In fact I'm considering making my annual "biggun" tour to Acadia in June. If your proposal picks up steam and it looks like y'all might host it I'll wait a year to venture up that way, I'd work in a couple of days at the park before or after the gathering. If Texas doesn't host one, I selfishly hope y'all get the gig.

I've got about 2 miles of Maine concrete under my wheels, enough to color in Maine on my states ridden in patch. I spent a few days in New England- mostly in NH and Vermont, in Oct. 2008 and really enjoyed it up there. The Red Socks were playing TB in the ALCS while I was up there and I gotta tell ya, you people are NUTS about your baseball! You'd think it was football or something LMAO.

I was really able to throw out my ignorant stereotypes I had about New Englanders, highlight the word IGNORANT. Y'all are pretty much just like we are here in Texas, except y'all talk funny.

#32 ·
Wow, presentations, representatives, video conferences to decide who hosts Shark Week. I always thought it was decided by the first guy to get drunk enough to say he would do it. I am up for anywhere if there is someone willing to put in the work to put it on. Maine souds great.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.