Road Glide banner

Attention Cold Weather Riders!!!

3K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  smitty901 
#1 ·
I am just curious of how many people that ride in temperatures less than 50* use 10w40 oil in their bike? I noticed in my service manual for my Glide that Hd gives viscosity recommendations based on temperature. Do any of you follow their recommendations? IF so why? If not, why not?

Thanks.....

#2 ·
I dont , as a matter of fact I have 20-60 Redline in it now , and it is in the 30's and 40's when I ride to work ..

I let it warm up for several minutes while I put on all my gear anyways

Not pulling anymore oil pressure cold than the 20-50

JtB

#5 ·
I ride all winter, I keep the 20/50 syn in her. The reason for putting the lighter oil in is for cold starting pumpability. Using synthetic oil addresses that in 2 ways, first it clings to surfaces better than "dino" oil. Second it retains it's ability to be pumped, even when cold. These charicteristics also make long warm ups unnessery at idle. Once full oil pressure is reached, I pull out then stay around 2000 rpm for 1/2 to mile.

#7 ·
I like other keep the 20-50 synth. in year round. Here it doesn't get that cold and if it does it doesn't stay that cold. It may get in the 30's in the morning or a rare ocassion but it will be 60-70 by afternoon.

I ride almost every day to work or pleasure. The only days I opt for the truck is when it is raining when I leave for work or if the temp gets to the lower 30s where the bridges may freeze. Folks down here have NO idea how to drive on icy roads.

#8 ·
Western panhandle of florida here, I have the dealer change my oil till the warrenty exspires in march 2013. Have it changed twice a year, in DEC and in APR, and I've never asked them about the wieght, guess I will next month.

#13 ·
Thanks for the input gentleman, but it is all moot for me now. My starter clutch just took a shit and I am not going to fix it right away since I am about to tare the bike apart anyways.

Yes, basic reason I was asking is for start up reasons. Until just yesterday, I was thinking that maybe the oil was just a tad too thick. My bike wasn't starting the same. Now I know why.

Again, thanks gentleman.... :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.