Road Glide banner

How to lower a 2013 Road Glide Custom

29K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  SharkBit 
#1 ·
Has anyone found suspension replacement that lowers the Road Glide Custom? The notes I find are related to lowering the Road Glide Ultra, but not the RGC. I installed a new Corbin Seat which I love but is a bit wider and net difference is less heel on the road when stopped. I only have 30-31" inseam and need to lower the bike and would like to replace shocks at the same time. Any advise would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Lowering a Custom isn't a good idea. It's gonna handle like crap, and won't corner well. They already have very limited clearance (I scrape floorboards daily at stock height), and lowering it more is a bad idea. You're gonna be that guy taking an offramp at 15mph slower than you need to be because you can't lean your bike.

Have the seat shaved. You can make it more comfortable as well as make it fit you better for your height. Not only by shaving it down a bit, but reducing some of the foam around your thighs, your legs will drop sooner, and give you an extra inch or two without actually lowering your butt in the saddle. You can then take the chance to have it contoured to your butt, I like to create a little "bowl" to sit me down into.

#7 ·
Lowering a Custom isn't a good idea. It's gonna handle like crap, and won't corner well. They already have very limited clearance (I scrape floorboards daily at stock height), and lowering it more is a bad idea. You're gonna be that guy taking an offramp at 15mph slower than you need to be because you can't lean your bike.
Personally speaking, I strongly disagree with this.......

I have monotubes up front set at full drop, which measures out to be just shy of -2.5" and current running air ride out back with a ride hight of -1" (ability to go -3.5" when parked)

With that said, I ride my bike, well, like a bike and pretty damn hard. Up here we ride the hill/mountains to coastal highway 1 to the switchbacks through the vineyards. I wouldn't do anything to my bike that would decrease its handling capablities.......bike looks good and rides/handles even better than stock. Which isn't to hard to do at all. The factory ride on these leaves a lot to be desired!

If you wanted to go lower with your bike, to improve handling and get flat footed. I'd do the following, if I were in your situation:

Front: monotubes, the lowing version will allow you to choose -1" or -2"
Rear: quality shock of your choice in 11.5"
Seat: if needed, have a the nose of the seat narrowed up (even with the frame)

Im 6'1", so I didnt lower my bike so much to be flat footed, i just wanted to lower my center of gravity and love the slammed look :rolleyes: Not that I know a whole lot, but from my personal experiences that would be my $.02

Suspension wise, I believe TraceyB has very similar setup. Also without problems, except maybe people flocking to her bike in parking lots to stare

#3 · (Edited)
How low do you want to go and how much do you want to spend? You can get 11.5 inch progressive rear shocks for around 200. Thats 1/2 lower than stock. You could also do lowering blocks in the rear from LA Choppers or a similar company. 1 inch lower for 80 bucks. Probably ride a little stiffer. If you want down further than that you could do progressive drop in lowering springs for the forks for about 150 or the monotubes for about 260. Either kit can lower the front as much as 2 inches. Good luck!

#10 ·
I have nothing but wicked corners here and have never dragged a footboard or anything else. I don't ride like a wuss either. Must really have to try hard to drag a RGC. Everytime I think I am going to drag....I don't

#11 ·
Lowering the FLTRX will effect the ride so IMO its important to decide what is most important. The Custom is already 1" lower in the rear over the Ultra and if you are an aggressive rider you will scrape the floor boards and other parts frequently on either bike , the Custom more often. (I do daily on the canyons around my home or even in a parking lot situation. If you have not scraped you just have not pushed the bike to that point yet) The good thing is floor boards are made to fold and are cheap to replace.

So if you want to lower it either for looks or to fit a shorter rider an adjustable air ride system in the rear, shorter shocks or lowering blocks and a fork drop of 1-2.5" are available . You will get the look of a lowered bike and better footing for a shorter leg rider but with a compromise in ride and handling . Almost any time you lower the bike you loose suspension travel. Less travel = harsher ride and handling. The other option if it is just for rider comfort you can go with a lower profile seat (I use a C & C Fastback 1.5" lower and 1.5" back from stock) or for the most drop available look at Drop Seat Kit and get a true 3" rider drop with out compromising any suspension or handling
http://store.fatbaggers.com/20drseco.html

#14 ·
I scrap my boards and my bike is stock height. I have a 30" inseam and sit flat footed on my bike so it must be your seat so change the seat first. My bike has Progressive monotubes in the front and 440 rear, this keeps the bike at stock height and it rides and handles great. Lowering your bike will affect the ride because you don't have as much suspension travel and you lose lean angle and clearance on speed bumps. IMO there is more advantages to keeping the bike at stock height then lowering.

#15 ·
This might interest you:

FBI ORIGINAL 3" DROP SEAT KIT--Bolt-On Kit for ’09-Up H-D Touring Models(Patent Pending)

The latest innovation from Fat Baggers is this impressive Bolt-On drop seat conversion kit for ’09-Up touring models which drops the stock seat height by 3" without sacrificing clearance or suspension of your bike!

http://store.fatbaggers.com/drsekitop.html

#17 ·
I have a sundowner seat on mine and a set of Road 6 Custom lowering blocks. They have options from 1-3 inches of drop. I have them sitting in the middle setting and they don't bottom out, the ride didnt get any worse and really love the way they sit. I am 5'9" with 30" inseam and I am able to sit flat footed on the scoot now. Well worth the money and 30 mins of your time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.