Road Glide banner

Which bars?

6K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  SIG556 
#1 ·
No, not THAT kind of bars...
HANDLEBARS :D
I have noticed that I wind up with back pains after riding for about 2 hours. I have read on here about how different handlebars may be the answer to my ills.
Some have stated that Heritage style bars make a huge difference.
If I understand correctly they provide a 3" difference form the standard bars on a Road Glide.
I have also seen that the reduced reach bars for a Road King will give you about 2" of relief.

The difference, I have been lead to understand , is the ANGLE of the grip end.
Is one more srtaight [perpendicular] to the center-line of the bike than the other?
Due to a wrist injury from falling off a tractor 17 yrs ago, I am much more comfortable with my left hand more straight from my arm, than with the slight outard angle needed to grasp the left grip. It may not seem like much of a deal to most, but for ME, and my left wrist, it gets to be quite uncomfortable after a while

So, which bars Road King reduced reach or Heritage style?
Anyone else have any experience with both, and know if there is any angle difference at the grip end?

See less See more
#2 ·
The heritage bars will hurt your wrist if you have a previous injury. I had not and the wrist angle would kill me on long rides. I myself am also looking at the RK reduced reach bars because the wrist angle is more relaxed as you say but they come back further.

#4 ·
I have the reduced reach bars and they made all the difference in the world. FWIW I have never tried the Heritage style bars so I can't give you a direct comparison. I have had back problems throughout my life and the combo of the reduced reach bars and the driver's back rest mean absolutely no back pain OR should blade pane. I'm 6 1" BTW

#6 ·
Thanks to everyone who put in their two cents, so far. I am beginning to think that the reduced reach bars might be the ones for me. Maybe I can get into a dealer that stocks several different types and actually LOOK at the difference.
Anyone else have an opinion?

#7 ·
I have arthritis issues in my neck, shoulders and wrists and am very sensitive to the angle of the bars from perpendicular. You may want to check out Sinister Industry's "Hot Rod" bars. I don't know if they're right for you but they worked wonders for me.

#8 ·
Nobody has mentioned this and the expense of the bars is most likely the reason why, but Helibars provide the ultimate flexibility. You don't have to worry about the fit as they can be moved to a multitude of positions for height, pullback and hand positions. There is even the possibility of having different hand positions for each hand. I understand there are now several versions for Road Glides as I saw a new ape hanger version in Daytona at Biketoberfest on a bike that looked very interesting. As I said they are expensive.

#9 ·
I have the heritage bars, and love em.

You never know until you can at least sit on a bike that has em, if not ride em.

I have had hand issues, to include a broken wrist and I have Rhuematoid Arthritus in my left hand and right shoulder.

I can ride all day long with them.

Also very cost effective, 80 bucks for the bars, no cable changes.

#10 ·
Honestly, I don't like how the Heli bars look. Their function over form is too much for me. These seem like more of an option for bikes with few handlebar options (like my old ST1100). You have too many out there for Harleys and should be able to find one that fits you.

That aside, if you go in, it's really hard to get a feel unless you have the bars mounted. I held mine in place before mounting, but even then they were different when actually mounted.

For me, I'm 6'2 34 inseam and the reduced reach are great. I still have more room to move them back if I wanted but how they are mounted works for me. Very happy.

#12 ·
This is just my opinion, but I think a lot with the heritage bars has a lot to do with your build. Most of the guys I see complain about the heritage bars are "wide" guys like myself. I'm 5'11" and weigh 235 (like to eat and don't play ball anymore)

So the bar is narrower than I am and then on top of that it turns my wrist in an awkward manner, just not comfortable at all. For the guys they do work it's great because even new the bars are cheap.

On a side note, handlebars is one of the toughest bike mods in my opinion, and its also one of the most personal.

#13 ·
I agree to an extent.

I do think the only way to tell is to get a chance to ride, or at least sit, on a bike that has the bars someone wants.

I'm your height, but a bit lighter at about 205-210.

I just think as with seats everyone is different, and just has to try things to see how they work.

I have tried many things on different bikes that other swore by for diff reasons, and hated em.

For examole, I have yet to find a seat, even at 700 bucks plus, that my ass an stay on for an entire tank of gas without some degree of discomfort.

The best seat was one that cost less than 100 to have modded from MCC.

I hope the OP takes some of what we say into account, but I would never want anyone to spend money based on my 2 cents.

Just had a forum member ride my bike a couple times, debating an RG to replace his SG. He's no more than 2" shorter than me, yet my setup that I find more comfortable than I've ever been on a bike doesn't quite work for him.

My 12" Windvest didn't work for him as well as the 10", and like you, he found the wrist angle of the bars a bit uncomfortable. I'd say my arms are a bit longer than his, not really sure which of us is wider in the shoulders, I can't really judge! lol

These posts are always tough. Pipes and oil are almost easier than someones comfort!

#14 · (Edited)
The best seat I have had yet, was the seat on an Ultra Limited I use to own and it was the same just went to MCC for some cheap mods. Like you I have owned some expensive seats folks have sworn by and they didn't do it for me. I plan on getting this seat out to MCC just need to decide on whether I am going to have him move me or not..........

#16 ·
+1

I have outlawz too and really like them a lot. Much more comfortable than stock for sure. Shopped a lot, and these in my opinion really do the trick.

#17 ·
I should add, that I did check out the heritage bars, but the wrist angle was my main complaint with stock, and I still found the heritage bars to be to angled for me. My wrists prefer straight angles. A lot of HD dealers have handle bar displays to try the feel of these.

If you go with apes, for the best comfort go heart level. You don't really want your hands higher than your heart. arms straight out- not raised up, or they can become numb while riding.

#19 ·
I can't answer that. I have longer arms. But apes you should be able to angle them back a little to get you the distance. Pain where? Shoulder,back or wrists?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.