Road Glide banner

444 Shocks

8K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  ENG25TRK 
#1 ·
I just put a pair of Progressive 444's with the heavy duty springs on my RGU and I love them! I ride 2 up most of the time. I went with the 444's because I wanted to keep the stock hight but benefit from the new progressive technology that the 944's have. Is anyone else running a set of these? I am also trying to decide what set up to go with on the front end.

#2 ·
Runnin 940's on mine but am puttin the Monotubes in tomorrow ~ Love the 940's I transferred them to this bike off of my Ultra LTD. Did Drop Ins on the Ultra but can't wait to check out the Monotubes ~ I like a firm ride, great handling, So far I have been pleased with the Progressive Suspension.

#4 ·
I have the Progressive 440's with the heavy duty springs on my bike and I have the monotubes as well and I love them, I kept the bike the same height a well. To put in the monotubes you will have to tear down the front fork assembly the good news is that you can keep the upper fairing on the bike but you have to remove the instrument rachel and fork covers. The monotubes are well worth the investment because of the improved ride and handling & control when braking you will get.

#5 ·
looking to lower my suspension, no lower than FLHX or FLTRX. And want to improve the ride on my '08 RG. 70% 1 up riding.

Not sure what benefits achieved if go for Ohlens over Progressive, or even more pricey. Please convince me.

Now considering

• 31-2501 - Progressive Suspension Monotube Fork Lowering Kit for FLH/FLT (97-UP)
  • 444-4058C - Progressive Suspension 444 FST Series Shocks (Pair) 444-4058C

Tell me if I am on the right track.

Many thanks

#12 ·
The 08 and earlier FLTR is just as low as the FLTRX so there is no need to lower your bike. I keep my 08 the stock height because I scrap the floorboards enough as it is and you have to consider the bikes clearance when going over obstacles such as speed bumps. Also take into consideration that a lowered bike will have less suspension travel which can affect the ride and handling of the bike.

#6 ·
I went with Progressive Monotubes up front, absolutely love them. However in the rear I was going to go with Ohlins, but now have decided JRI, my wife has Progressives on the rear of her bike, though better than stock, I'm just not convinced that's the way I want to go.

#9 ·
I keep reading praise about the JRI. But no details. And good about Olhins, but no explanation why so exceptional.

Please convince me (& provide me evidence to convince my wife) that additional expenditures on Ohlens are justified, and beyond them JRI. Please give me something to hang onto beyond "they are better." HOW ARE THEY BETTER? Please...

#8 ·
444's and Race Tech

Just put 444's :) on my '01 with Race Tech front end package :) including the Gold Emulators. Best mod yet, stock shit was pretty squirly, now I gotta do the swingarm busshings next. 110 mph on the way to work early this morning with no wiggle.

#10 ·
Just put 444's :) on my '01 with Race Tech front end package :) including the Gold Emulators. Best mod yet, stock shit was pretty squirly, now I gotta do the swingarm busshings next. 110 mph on the way to work early this morning with no wiggle.
Like to read about and see upgrades of older bikes to bring up to contemporary.
Thinking seriously about 444s for my '08. Like to read comments on how the elephant me out, or not.

Buying new does not recycle. Think green. :)

#14 ·
Best I can tell the Progressives are engineered with Harleys in mind. Seems like the ohlins & jri's are engineered for crotch rockets & race bikes. No one on here has convinced me that any amount of re jiggering is worth the extra money, but I'm still open to an explanation...

#15 ·
According to HD specs the 2013 FLTRX has a seat height of 27.1 inches and the seat height on a 2008 FLTR is 29.5 inches both year models have a ground clearance of 5.1 inches. You have to keep in mind that the 2008 FLTR came stock with the big thick touring seat that come standard on the Ultra Classic and not the low profile seat that comes on the 2013 FLTRX, after changing the seat on the 2008 FLTR to a low profile seat you come up with around the same seat height you would on the stock FLTRX. I use the HD low profile leather bucket seat on my 08 and I sit pretty low and it is comfortable as well. The big factor is the ground clearance 5.1 inches is not a lot of clearance so lowering the bike takes away from valuable ground clearance. JMO

#18 ·
The FLTR has 16 inch front and rear wheels and the FLTRX has a 18 inch wheel in the front and a 16 inch wheel in the rear.

There was also a change to the frame in 09 so this is not a fair comparison......
The frame change was only to accommodate the wider rear tire.

The bottom line is the ground clearance did not change on either year model. The only difference is seat height and the 08 came with a different seat then the 2013 does and when you put typical seats on either model the seat height is not that different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.