Road Glide banner

2011 CVO Roadglide Ultra suspension upgrade-HELP

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  jimmyray11349 
#1 ·
I know there are a ton of posts regarding this subject. Mind boggling. Way too many choices out there. Here is my dilemma. I ride a 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra-13"shocks(solo 50% of the time). I tried Progressive 940's from my local dealer as a demo. I liked the ride improvement in the twistys and on bumps and humps but it felt stiffer on normal roads(I could feel almost every imperfection in the pavement but no bottoming out, riding solo with virtually no pre-load). I felt that the ride quality was very similar to a stock Road Glide Custom-12" shocks. Also liked the fact that I could reach the ground better(I am 5'7" 180lbs). I didn't like having to remove the saddlebags to adjust the pre-load.(I wasn't comfortable just leaning the bags against my leg during the adjustment process due to the potential "stretching" of the electrical connections for the power locks and Ipod or worse,dropping the saddlebag on the ground by accident(CVO paint repairs are not cheap).

I have read many posts regarding the choices available(Bitubo, Ohlin, Progressive, Works, Legends and Arnott). I understand any shock that isn't air ride is going to require me to pull the saddlebags. I also understand i will not get the performance upgrade I'm looking for with an air ride shock. .

My dealer recommends using Progressive air draggers rather than Legend or Arnott; he gives his vote of confidence to Progressive because affordable suspensions is their business and he has seen his share of issues with the other air ride systems. I have found nothing regarding the AirDraggers. Anyone currently using them or tried and didn't like them? I did call Progressive and the 444's were recommended by them saying I would only have to remove my bags to adjust them twice a week(solo during the week and 2 up on weekends). I ride about 14,000 miles per year starting in April until late November.(that's about 26 weeks times 2 = 50 plus times a season to pull and replace the bags)

My Priorities:
1)Better ride comfort overall than stock HD shocks(gotta keep the BSR happy)
2)Fairly easy to switch setting from one up to two up
3)Better performance on twistys and bumps and humps
4)Lower was nice but not real necessary.(I am not willing to compromise ride comfort for better handling;after all it is a 900 lb touring bike not a sport bike).

I realize there is no perfect solution to what I am trying to accomplish.
Based on my priorities has anyone had the same issue and reached a compromise that is acceptable?
I am also going to install Progessive Monotubes at the same time.

See less See more
#2 ·
Call Howard @ Motorcycle Metal and tell him what you're looking for. I just rode a bike over the weekend with a set of the Ohlins shocks he sells and they freaking rock, wow what a difference. Just ordered myself a set of JRI's a little while ago. I didn't believe the hype until this weekend. You have no idea what you're missing.

#3 ·
I talked to Howard today and he was very informative. I am really hoping someone that has used Progressive Air Draggers chimes in with a response regarding their performance. No one out there has ever tried them???

#4 ·
Sorry, I am very pleased with my Ohlin 3-3s in back and Progressive monotubes up front. Only takes me about 5 minutes if I decide to adjust the shocks when Momma comes for a ride.... I think both the ride and the handling were noticibly improved.

#5 · (Edited)
I just put JRi 12" A on my RGC. Love em. I have not changed preload setting Howard (MotorcycleMetal) did on them whether solo or 2 up. Mine do not have the sweep valve. I did not want to have to remove saddlebags to adjust. Great ride. And they are not even broken in yet. The wife really noticed the difference and I had not told her I had installed them.

I wish I had known about the JRi's long ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.