Road Glide banner

Texas Meet and Greet, April 2013 UPDATE

14K views 93 replies 19 participants last post by  Andyman 
#1 · (Edited)
Just got off the horn with the folks at Koyote Ranch in Medina, Texas. I've set up a scheduled "event" for Thursday- Sat nights, 4,5,6 April, 2013.

Currently they have 31 "kabins" (they spell everything with a K) available for that weekend and lots of "kamp" and RV spots.

Here's the deal on getting an event booked. If 10-19 reservations are made, each res will get a 10% discount at the time you check in and pay the balance. If 20 or more are made, each res will be 20% off.

Also, if 10-19 res's are made, we get the Party Barn to ourselves for $175 (half off) for a half day. If 20 or more, it's free for a whole day ($600.00 reg price). I've notified them that we want it on Saturday evening.

I was thinking that Saturday night would be a good chance to throw down A serious dinner. At some point we'll need to ride 20 miles up to Kerrville and empty the beef section at H.E.B.

Unless the Party Barn is reserved for a given day, anyone can use it- so we may be able to take it with no payment anyway, but we'd have to share it with anyone else that may stumble in. But they DO have grills and tables and everything else needed for a group to gather.

Below is a link to Koyote Ranch. When you call tell them you're booking for the "Shark Week 2.5". Administrators, if there's a problem with that name please let me know and I'll have it changed. I had to come up with a name and I just blurted that out.

http://www.koyoteranch.com/

They are NOT holding reservations for us. Naturally the later you book, the fewer the choices. I for one, will be in a tent.

I've already got a Saturday ride in mind, a nice little 200-ish miler up to Kerrville then past Hunt along the Guadalupe River and above it's headwaters. Then down to Vanderpool where there's a cool (no K here!) motorcycle museum. Vanderpool intersects RR337 and the beginning of the 3 Sisters, a 140 mile run.

Please PM me when/ if you book there so that I can keep a headcount without calling Koyote all the time.

edited to add: Y'all don't have to be from Texas to come. The more the merrier!
GiddYUP!

See less See more
#33 ·
The way it looks I'm gonna have 4 or 5 days before I hook up with my friends in Frisco for the ride down to the Hill Country so I'm thinking of maybe a loop on the way down through Eureka Springs, then riding the Talimena Scenic Byway. Love Arkansas and would love to do some more riding there and visit some good friends. Maybe along the way down I can pick up some Sooners,Razorbacks or some of dem Missouri types for the trek down to the Hill Country. Nuthin' in stone yet but besides a detour or two along the way the ride to Frisco would look something like this....

http://goo.gl/maps/7t5IF

#34 ·
Quicksand, there's a really fun stretch of road just off your route you may want to consider. I rode Missouri hwy 19 between Van Buren and Thayer in May of 2011. Freshly paved blacktop that is roller coaster through the forest the whole way. Go fast enough and you'll catch negative G's. lol

Looking forward to seeing you in April. Hope you're able to recruit some more riders along the way!

#36 ·
I might be able to make it. I live in San Antonio. Hopefully my schedule will allow me to show up.

#39 ·
Doors open and I can fire up the grill.

#41 ·
#42 ·
By God that gave me goosebumps. 335 is my favorite of the 3 and I know every inch of those roads like the back of my hand.

The roller coaster segment at about the 2 minute mark is such a thrill, but it goes on longer and longer...

For those of y'all who have never ridden the Sisters, this video is maybe 7 or 8 miles of the 140 mile triumvirate.

C'mon, April!

#54 ·
By God that gave me goosebumps. 335 is my favorite of the 3 and I know every inch of those roads like the back of my hand.
Really? I like 337 from the intersection of 187 west to Camp Wood. 335 is a nice ride, but to me the curves on 337 are a lot better.

336 is a fair ride, except every time I go down it there are white accident layouts painted all over the road. Talk about a kill joy, not exactly the type of image you want in your head when you are trying to have some fun.

#50 ·
Latest Update:

Just got off the horn with the Ranch. 7 reservations have been made so we're 3 short on a 10% discount. Also, I was told that all of the kabins are booked, there are only camping and RV spots left available.

And lastly, the party barn was reserved for that Saturday night. We may just have to drag a coupla picnic tables together and grill the cow on a campfire!

Keep spreading the word, and I look forward to seeing y'all in April!

See y'all in

#51 ·
Latest Update:

the party barn was reserved for that Saturday night. We may just have to drag a coupla picnic tables together and grill the cow on a campfire!

Keep spreading the word, and I look forward to seeing y'all in April!

See y'all in
Yeah but who's to say it's a private private party?? I mean who wouldn't wanna party with a bunch of friendly parched bikers that have been riding all day....hell it may be a bachelorette party that needs help gettin' the champagne open or somethin' :D

#55 ·
I like that stretch a lot too, especially interesting is the ranch that has the giraffe ostriches and camels grazing along the road.

But the roller coasters along the Frio are the most fun to me.

Those markers along the road on 336 a solumn reminders for sure. So are the straight skid marks that go off the road in a corner on a cliff side.

#56 ·
Those markers along the road on 336 a solumn reminders for sure. So are the straight skid marks that go off the road in a corner on a cliff side.
I do not want to be involved nor do I want to be the first on the scene for the skid marks going over the edge. That is a very long way to the bottom on most of those curves. Nothing good could possibly come from that trip down.:(

#57 ·
I usually take it pretty easy when on the three sisters. I really like to look around since I don't really get to see much as is anyways, but have never had a close call of any sorts, other than a deer I spotted a good 1/4 mile away and a State Trooper.

#63 ·
Texas Meet & Greet Lodging Option

If anyone needs a place to stay at the Koyote Ranch for the meet & greet I have a friend that rents camper trailers. He rents for 65-75 per night and will deliver them and set them up for you, including the Koyote Ranch. I am renting one for the M&G and camping at the Koyote. I think my trailer rental spot was $20 night.

Let me know if anyone needs his contact info and website.

#64 ·
If anyone needs a place to stay at the Koyote Ranch for the meet & greet I have a friend that rents camper trailers. He rents for 65-75 per night and will deliver them and set them up for you, including the Koyote Ranch. I am renting one for the M&G and camping at the Koyote. I think my trailer rental spot was $20 night.

Let me know if anyone needs his contact info and website.
Like the sound of that, I will let ya know after I speak with them tomorrow.

Thanks!

#68 ·
I am sure hoping the weather is good. All this rain lately is driving me nuts.

Do we have an updated count?

#69 ·
The rain's driving me nuts, too. I work on a flightline at the Austin airport, I know we need the rain but I wish it'd happen between 0030 and 0500 hrs when none of us are working in it.

Last headcount I have is 7 reservations and (I think) 3 that are coming but not staying at the Ranch.

#70 ·
BTW, just noticed that the "Thunder in the Hill Country" rally will be that same weekend in Bandera. Sweet. I will most def attend that too and as a side note there is a ton of bikers all weekend.

#71 ·
No wonder the Ranch has filled up so early. I didn't realize TITH was that weekend.

Bandera's definitely on the list of rides- I'm thinking on Friday. Saturday when the bulk of us are all at The Ranch I figured would be the day to do the Kerrville to Ingram to Hunt to Vanderpool to the 3 Sisters ride. Gonna be slow going with that many bikes in the area, not many opportunities to pass. I'll probably see things I've never noticed before. LMAO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.