Add a Siren to your Factory Security for $6

214K views 494 replies 260 participants last post by  craigffb 
#1 ·
Ok, it'll be a little less than $6.

(Excuse the dirty bike.)

Works well, and is definitely cheap.

See less See more
#211 ·
Picked up a couple of the alarms on Amazon today while I was at work. Still might swing into RS to pick up the pins though. With all the theft going on lately it wouldn't hurt to have some extra deterrence. Going to hook up my brother-in-laws Crossbones too.

#212 ·
Yet another guy who did this mod and as all have reported before me, it is is very easy and inexpensive. I ended up buying two alarms and the 9-pin connector kit. I mounted both alarms one above the other in the slot under the left side cover. I did not drill holes to use the slot for the original connect, just tie wrapped everything back into convenient places. It works very well and is very loud for sure. Easy, cheap mod. Highly recommended.

#218 · (Edited)
Any idea why when I added the Harley siren it doesnt sound or chirp?
It has been a setting on the alarm from the original Factory Alarm introduced 2001.
You can set it to always chirp. Or, just when the alarm is activated.
In 2001, when introduced, Harley had Retro-Kits for bikes back to 1997.
I put one on my 1998 Ultra. I set the siren to only sound when activated.
I have it set the same on my 2009 RG.
I don't know if the Radio Shack siren can be set the same.

#220 ·
That means you don't have the siren installed or it is not connected correctly.
The siren is not included with the alarm. It is another accessory to buy.
If you didn't install one, look under the right side panel. That is where is mounted.
If you don't see one, you don't have it.

#230 ·
I have used these on my last two bikes and they are really neat. However, I believe two are necessary because if you add one to the left side of the bike, then stand on left side 25ft away and listen for alarm. Now walk to other side of bike (25 ft away) and you can tell a large difference in noise volume. (and I have worked at an airport for the last 8 years so my hearing isn't the best but I can still differentiate between the two volumes.

If someone is messing with my bike, I want everyone within earshot (no matter which direction they are from the bike) to hear and look.

I purchased the normal two for the alarm on my bike but I also found the larger round one that gives out a few more db. I think I am going to try and integrate that one into the horn circuit just to screw with cagers a bit more.

#232 ·
it isn't a substitute for the entire hd security system, only the hd siren, which is $89.95. true that the hd siren does include extras for that price, such as battery backup and the pager transmitter. so if you don't need the pager, this is a good route to go.

#229 ·
Thanks OP, and all the others who added their tips on this - the connector pins, exactly which wire goes to which (red to brown, black to green), etc. Works great. My boy gave me one siren for Christmas, and I had picked up another already, and put them both on tonight.

Used 4 of the pins off of the 9-pin connector set, and probably would have liked it better had I spliced both onto a lead and landed that. Instead, I shoved two in each hole - they fell out the first time but I was able to push them in deeper and it seems to hold fine now.

Had some multi-strand sprinkler controller wire (maybe 18ga?), pulled out the black and the red and fished them from one side to the other, and by splicing that with small wire nuts I was able to mount one on each side that way. Some electrical tape at the wire nuts for added hold, and a couple of small zip-ties to the adjacent cables so nothing vibrates around too much down the road.

Drilled out the back of the connector receiver that is on the bike as others have done, fished the pin-ends through that, landed them on the Harley connector and slid it back into its housing. Used #6 sharp-pointed "Grabber" cabinet hinge screws to screw the siren bodies to the plastic casings available. Not exactly a factory look when you remove the covers, but clean and tight. I'm happy with it. Maybe later on I'll go back and put a black sleeve over my red and black wires that go from the one side to the other and give it more of a "wiring harness" look.

Thanks again folks for suggesting this! Oh ..... two more thoughts - 1) your dogs WILL go nuts when you test it, so be ready, and 2) if you pulled the main fuse while doing this, don't forget to re-set your clock.

#234 ·
No way I got away with $6. It cost me a bit over $10 to do things right. That means that I sprang for the shrink fit tubing for the tie in to stock wiring and I spent money for a double backed tape to attach my siren to the bike. The alarm itself was under $6 as advertised but all of the extras cost me a few dollars more. Even so, I like this solution far more than the HD solution to an alarm system.

#235 ·
Looking for the closest Radio Shack

This is something I will definitely do! Very cool ! Will post experience and outcome later. Thanks !!!

#241 ·
I just got my bike from the shop, yesterday. I had an electrical problem that I could not find, so I took it to them. The guy calls and said he found the problem, and asked where the siren came from. I told him I installed it, just an aftermarket siren, and it's been on there for about 6 months. He informed me that the way it's wired is not recommended and could cause problems. It was at this point that I said if the siren is causing issues, I can just cut the wires, tape them off, and be done with it, since nothing was connected to that plug in the first place. He tells me the siren isn't the problem, the problem is the wire that was rubbing against the drive belt, and eventually got cut.

Huh, so why did you bring up the siren?

This is a good one, you ready?

He says "Well, the reason that wire is rubbing against the belt is because you installed a siren".

Wut?

I've done so much crap to that bike, had it apart 20-30 times, installed GPS wiring, removed the fuse box completely, bars, seats, front end stuff, shocks, all kinds of crap, and he says the siren is why one wire is in the wrong place. WTF, lol.

Needless to say, they replaced the connector, and moved the wire, and left the siren hooked up, but put on my invoice that it's "not recommended".

#244 ·
Yeah, the dealer, I do most of my own work, and if I need a shop, I usually go to an independent shop, but since I took the bike apart and couldn't find the problem, I was sure it was a bad part somewhere. The bike is still under factory warranty, so I thought it would get fixed for free. It was a gamble on my part, and I ALWAYS have problems with the dealership, it was just comical to me that he spent five minutes explaining my siren was wrong, and then says "Oh, no, that's not your problem, I'm just letting you know it's wrong." Thanks, buddy.