Road Glide banner

What makes the bike run cooler?

6K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  smitty901 
#1 ·
I just got the rc slip ons put on my bike. The dealer told me the next step is, the air cleaner, fuel pak and the headers. I have a 2012 rgc and I never had heat issues as a rider on it but my wife complains about the heat around her right ankle.
Doing some research on this made me confused very much.
Should I just get the fuel And the cleaner or the whole thing?
If it is going to make it just louder, I would rather to spend my money on something else like the daymakers. :))
I have read people saying that the slip on Ad ons are just for the tone of the sound and it does not have any performance gains without the stage one. I went ahead and did it I say bs to those people, my bike pulls much stronger now.

#3 ·
I have never had slip ons alone change the performance of any of my HD's that had the catalytic's in the header, the restriction is still there, the cats are in the head pipe, just changes sound. If it feels better to you, then more power to you.

As for the heat on her ankle, you need to get the bike tuned properly, AND get rid of the catalytic to cool the bike down, and it will also have more power and "should" get better mileage depending on the tune.

Just my $0.02

I recently traded in my old bike for a new one, and forgot how friggin hot these bikes are in stock form.... :eek:

#12 ·
There are three places that slow down the flow of air. The new pipes may help it breath easier on the back end, you now have two remaining places slowing down airflow, the air filter and the cat in the head pipes.

If you want you can keep the stock mufflers, like the rest have said, cut out the cat. A new filter and turner (with the right map) will cool things down.

#13 ·
Well, after seeing my buddy pulling into our condo garage with a road king without cats changed my mind. It is loud as hell in the garage. It makes so much noise just pulling in, sets alarms off in a chain reaction.
I guess, I could buy his headers very cheap I wanted to move! :))
So, he is going back to stock headers and I am staying stock !
I hope changing the air filter to high velocity will help the heat issue.
I am so confused!
Should I still get the sert pro kit or the download from the dealer? Considering, there will be no headers in the future!! :((
By the way, here is a picture of my rc slip-ons. I love them.

Attachments

#14 ·
Ultimatly it is your choice on how you go with exhaust but your major heat issue is the CAT. There are several header/muffler combos that are not too loud but give a good low rumble. I have the V&H power duals with V&H monster rounds for mufflers. It took care of all the heat issues and is not that loud. I know loud because my 94 Heritage is extremly loud. The V&H web site has videos of the exact exhaust I have and I know there are other makes that have the same. IMO the air filter is not going to make much difference for the heat issues in the exhaust . You should check around and listen to others bikes with different header/muffler combos before you decide not to change yours.

#16 ·
30 degree weather. Come on how much difference is a little fuel really going to make for more than a short time.
Think skills vs hype
A good total stage 1 will help not magic but some what effective.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.