Road Glide banner

2013 Road Glide "Kandyce"

17K views 103 replies 25 participants last post by  RichieRich 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok so I've given up on riding Sport bikes and decided that I would move into the world of the good ole' American Hog! Well I left the dealership only to say say," If I'm going to get a discount let's make it count; as well as, let's et some warranty".
My plans for the build include: 2013 CVO Daymaker headlight, Lower an inch in front, Arlen Ness Hot legs, Harley cow bells, 21 font rim, 17 inch rear rim with 200mm tire, Arlen Ness Down n out Bags and fender, Arlen Ness comfort Grips, Arlen Ness upswept Mirrors, Baddad extended side covers, J&M 500 Watt speaker and saddle bag lid system, Paul Yaffe wedge shift link, Paint matched powder coated engine guard and horn cover, 944 progressive shocks,added black gila monster skin with candy orange decorative stitch to seat, Red dakota digital gauges, Painted inner fairing, Roland Sands Clarity timing cover and derby cover, Roland Sands Clarity air cleaner, Fuel Moto headers, Screaming Eagle tuner, Vance Hines rounds, Hidden antenna, ignition cover, 12" BR custom powder coated to match sweeping beater bars, throttlepak, Edge floor board and passenger/ highway pegs, Edge brake pedal and shift knobs,adjustable rider backrest with gila monster stitching, kustom werkx tude fender, and custom seat bolt.
I'm thinking about the stretch tank and dash, but i have to wait for the taxes for that.Most likely I'll keep looking in this forum for more of the must do stuff. My main objective was to get a color that I could live with until I ever decided to paint it. Going from sportbikes to the market crashing custom choppers was fun, but I'm looking forward to something more practical. Thanks for the help and guidance with the ideas!:rolleyes:

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Best suggestion: Don't buy all those mods right out the door, but instead wait and see what all is really out there. Nothing worse than adding a shit-ton of mods (lots of $$) then finding some websites 2 weeks later displaying mods you like MORE. Let's say you do something as simple as changing out your brake/shift pedals with what you found right away, then seeing some nicer custom ones a week after that.

You'll also want to look at the comfort mods first. Ride it for a few decent trips to determine if your seat will work for you as well as the bars. Many people have to change the seat (I am fine with my OEM seat) and most people you'll talk to get that dreaded between the shoulders pinch from how low our stock bars are.

Wind management is the biggest thing. With a fairing bike like ours you battle dirty air (turbulent air coming off the fairing, around the fairing and from under the fairing). It's not that nice clean wind, it's the turbulent crossed-up wind that turns you into a bobblehead. It hurts your neck and shoulders, plus blurs your vision. This can be rectified with Sancho's Wings, the HD Fork Wind Deflectors and for many of us, that's all you need. Others will also have to experiment with different windshield makes & heights.

Spend your money on comfort features first, before you blow the budget on cool looking stuff, THEN discover you "need" to make other changes to make her a better ride.

Welcome to the Tank

#6 ·
On the lowering thing... if you're coming off of sportbikes, you're used to cornering. While it's obvious that a Road Glide won't corner like a Gixxer, you have to keep in mind that you have low ground clearance and large footboards. If you add highway pegs, that's even less room to lean. If you bought a RG-Custom, your bike is lower than an Ultra, so you have even LESS lean angle to work with.

I am at stock height, and scrape on EVERY ride. Dragging footboards is fine, but hard parts is bad.

If you feel the need to lower due to having short legs and can't flat-foot the bike at red lights, simply have your seat shaved and you can drop an inch easily. Also shape it right to allow your thighs to drop sooner, that helps a lot.

#7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input RGC.
Ive actually ridden the bike and then brought it back. Stock shock wasn't me and I liked my buddies progressives. I more so didnt like the feel with the 14 height bars and so I went with the 12. I like my stock seat as well hence I went with a little bit of flavor. I appreciate the tips on the lowering. The 21 raises the bike so an inch front drop levels it out. I've been scoping the parts for this build for a while and most likely I see this adding and taking off thing is going to happen for as long as I have the bike. lol.
Thanks for reading my post though

Attachments

#13 ·
Sounds like you got it all together! That's going to be a sharp ride!

#17 ·
Pushing forward

Ok so, I figured I didn't like the insert on the dash, so I went with a low profile dash. I like my stock tank and not really into cutting my seat so figured that's the best option. I also talked myself out of the side front brakes, being I'm digging the ABS. Most likely I'll add that to my bag of things to do later.
That list to do later:
maybe 13 rotor brake setup
maybe 23 or 26 rim
maybe air ride.
Bag liners
these options seem more for looks, so It's a strong maybe.

#23 · (Edited)
She's looking good.. I like what you're doing..

#25 ·
Parts Galore

Have all these extra parts. Forgot about the storage part.
Have the stock bags
Stock lids
Front Fender
Side Covers
Rear fender
Air cleaner cover
Regular bars
Stock front rim and tire
Rear rim and tire

Not sure what pricing to assign to these parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.