Road Glide banner

2012 colors are out...

26K views 73 replies 42 participants last post by  aidansdad 
#1 · (Edited)
I stopped by my dealer to pick up my lowers and asked about the 2012's..

The salesman said " Do you want to see the colors?"

Here is what I remember.. I dont remember the exact names.. and I only looked at the FLTRX MODEL..

Chrome Yellow.. the same yellow that is offered on the Heritage this year..

Dark Blue metallic.. new color as far I could tell, I think it is called Big Blue Pearl

Vivid black

Denim Black

NO SEDONA ORANGE in 2012 for the FLTRX.. although it is offered on other models..

I just confirmed with my dealer.. Only 4 colors to choose from in the FLTRX in 2012

#2 ·
Did they make the RG in the denim white? A buddy of mine bought a 2011 SG yesterday in the Denim White and I thought that it would be nice on the RG also.
Why didn't I talk him out of the SG and into a RG? For the same reason hot chicks keep the fat ugly ones around, it just makes them look even better.

#6 ·
Uh oh,.. thats bad news from groupw's checkbook if they offer the yellow on a RG ;) I think he's holding out for a yellow ultra though

#10 ·
Who knows???

I personally think Stevie Wonder picks the colors...

I think Sedona orange sold really well.. They kept the color, just not offered on the fltrx.

If the fltrx was offered only in hot pink...I would buy it before having 20 color selections on the SG!

#12 ·
Paint Problem with Sedona Orange

I bought lower bag extensions for my 11RG that was painted in Sedona Orange. I ordered 1 quart of Sedona Orange paint from the Dealership and had the painter spray the lowers. When I went to pick up the lowers they were about 4 to 5 shades off. Almost a red color. I asked the painter to see the can and when I popped the top the color did not match. We returned to the dealearship, took photo's of the paint can, the painted lowers, and the hard bags. We next spoke to the MC customer support and they assured me, the dealers painter, and the parts manager that it was the correct paint and the painter applied it wrong. To appease the MC customer support the lowers were resprayed following there directions to a T and still the same result. Even though it is clearly evident to the dealership parts manager they would not refund the money spent on paint at $140.. Further more the paint has been on backorder from MC and they will not admit there is a problem. I have searched other sites and the rumor mill is MC knows and is discontinuing the color. Where does that leave us who purchased a bike in this color. We tried to have it machine color coded and reapplied for the third time with no luck because it's almost a candy base. Yesterday called Color rite tech support and the guy I talked to said they were working on the color but wont be available for 3-4 more months. He said that they are mixing by eye because the machine is not getting the correct match.

#13 ·
I bought lower bag extensions for my 11RG that was painted in Sedona Orange. I ordered 1 quart of Sedona Orange paint from the Dealership and had the painter spray the lowers. When I went to pick up the lowers they were about 4 to 5 shades off. Almost a red color. I asked the painter to see the can and when I popped the top the color did not match. We returned to the dealearship, took photo's of the paint can, the painted lowers, and the hard bags. We next spoke to the MC customer support and they assured me, the dealers painter, and the parts manager that it was the correct paint and the painter applied it wrong. To appease the MC customer support the lowers were resprayed following there directions to a T and still the same result. Even though it is clearly evident to the dealership parts manager they would not refund the money spent on paint at $140.. Further more the paint has been on backorder from MC and they will not admit there is a problem. I have searched other sites and the rumor mill is MC knows and is discontinuing the color. Where does that leave us who purchased a bike in this color. We tried to have it machine color coded and reapplied for the third time with no luck because it's almost a candy base. Yesterday called Color rite tech support and the guy I talked to said they were working on the color but wont be available for 3-4 more months. He said that they are mixing by eye because the machine is not getting the correct match.
WTF! I love this color and if what you are saying is true we am screwed if wehave any problems and need something repainted due to accident or upgrade (ie: lowers, inner fairing, dash board, etc, etc.).

#14 ·
Exactly!! How can it be that I cannot procure the paint for my 6 month old motorcycle totally mystifies me. I want to purchase the yaffe house party sound system. This includes primed hard bag lids with speakers in the lids but will not dare because I cant get the freaking paint to match!! Any help appreciated..

#15 ·
I'm no painter but is it possible that Harley gave you the correct Sedona Orange paint but your painter isnt getting the clear coat process correct? See if harley sells a seperate clear coat. Good luck. This thread makes me like my Black Denim:D

#37 ·
the harley sedona orange is NOT a single stage paint. When I bought my quart, I also purchased the recommended clear, activator and I used a generic Nason urethane reducer. Mixed it to the 8:1:2 ratio they printed on the label and my paint matches perfect. the only place a little off is aound the 2" gauges where I applied a little to much color and it is a slightly darker reddish tint. the color of the primer will also affect final color as well as how much paint you apply. i was suprised at how well the color covered the primer and you dont need more than 1 meduim coverage coat.
I also ordered my paint in late march and had it in 2 days. when its in the can it looks real odd. black and red on top but when you swirl it around it goes right to the sedona orange color. TONS of gold flake in it, I got some on my hands and when i wiped it off my fingers shined gold.
Any way,best of luck to you guys trying to get yours matched and I'm glad they discontinued the color, makes us unique

#19 ·
Don't know about the accuracy of this but I was told that the lack of availability of an ingredient in the Sedona Orange paint has caused it to be discontinued. Actually had something to do with the earthquake and tsunami in Japan... ???, but that's what I heard.

#30 ·
This is what I was told by the Sales Manager at the dealership I use also. He was upset cause that color has sold like hotcakes here and now they are not going to have it for next year on any bike. The brochures does show it on some bikes, but those were made up before the problem occured.

#21 ·
Here are the FLTRU COLORS FOR 2012

There are 3 colors..

Big Blue Pearl

Sedona Orange

Amber Red Sunglow

#25 ·
Wow.. no black! That Sedona Orange version is gonna sell like hot cakes.

Anyone wanna bet if they have a SERG for 2012? I think there will be one decked out like the 2011 SESG with lowers and speakers (think 2009 SERG but with all the new goodies). Willie G. loves the RG to much not to push it on the public even more.

#22 ·
...... interesting that they're reporting a Sedona Orange option for the U next year, when we're hearing that they've had supplier issues and back orders on that color for the last half of the '11 model year run.
........ not withstanding supplier issues, i think an RGU would look pretty good in that color scheme.

#23 ·
You know my wife mentioned the same thing to me about the the Japan eartquake & paint problems, of course in one ear & out the other. There I go again. I have that selective hearing problem when the Wife tells me something. Now I have to Man-Up & tell her she was right. That will be only the second time in our 43 years of marriage!!!!!!!!!!! I hope she doesn't read this!!!!!

#24 ·
I doubt Harley would be announcing Sedona for 12' if they had long term supply problems. It might be an issue today.. dunno..

I know for a fact that multiple models have Sedona orange as an option in 12'

#26 ·
I saw the paint colors for 2012. All models including the RGU are available in black. RGU also available in Amber Red Sunglo and Big Blue Pearl. But, a bulletin from HDMC states they will be replacing Sedona Orange with another color. Have not seen or heard what that will be yet.

#33 ·
Looks like I'll be sticking to the color I have lol, I wonder if they plan to do any other upgrades. Not going to worry, as soon as my warranty runs out it's time for a 107 with heads etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.