Road Glide banner

Questions

5K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  Frodoe 
#1 ·
Progressive 940 vs. HD Premium Ride hand Adj.
I know everyone is different and each has his or her own style of riding, however I know only what I read when it comes to suspension. I am loosing pressure in my shocks when my ride sits. and lately is been sitting awhile. In saying that I never really cared for the stock air ones on my 2010. Roads are pretty good out here in AZ. but up in the high country they get rough and I like riding the switchbacks, BUTT when I hit a cattle guard IT HURTS.
I'd like some input (Pros. & Cons.) with these 2. I'm trying to keep costs down, and want to get the best bang (or lack there of) for my bucks. Thanks

#2 ·
I have been very happy with the 940's. They had been on for about 6500 miles on a 2011 RGU. They are a little rougher than the stock air shocks, but not uncomfortable by any means. You know they lower the bike by an inch. Also, very easy to adjust if you ride with a passenger. If you do this I would suggest lowering the front at the same time. I installed the cartridge inserts on the front. Sorry, I had not tried the HD shocks.

#4 ·
I ran the 940's on my last bike and was very happy with them , you can get them from phat performance for $524.95 , depending on your budget the #2-#2 Ohlins from motorcyclemetals will run you around $540 disounted if you are a hdforums member

#6 ·
Progressive is the way to go. Thats what they do ,make suspensions. They pay for them selfs over the long run.

#7 ·
I have the hd premium. Better handling. In general the ride is nice. I like how easy they are to adjust. But they bottom out badly for me when I hit the concrete lip on overpasses. I have been considering alternatives. I've been leaning towards a 13" shock for the added travel.

#9 ·
Am I missing something. I understand your problem Frodoe, you need a replacement for leaky shocks. My question is why a number of people change out their rear shocks on the RGC? Mine seem to do the job just fine. Is it a quality issue with the stock shock? Or do some people just have a "princess and the pea" a$$. I'm not trying to insult anyone just trying to figure out if I'm just one of the luck few with good shocks.

#11 ·
Some folks just like the best for their bike. Progressive shocks are made from better material and will provide better handling and less travel.

I do agree with you about replacing a new part just because ,unless it's causing problems. I guess bottoming out would fall under that category.

#14 ·
I'm shock shopping too, probably gonna go with Progressive, but may do the heavy Duty 440's rather than the 940's. When I had my '01 Ultra Classic the original shocks were fine until one of them leaked all the oil out. I bought a set of new take-offs, ran them for awhile and they started leaking oil also. I finally went with 12"(1" lowered)Progressive heavy duty 440s and was very pleased with them. The only really issue I had, and alot of people have, is that the 12" shocks will top out with a loud "thud" occasionally on rebound from large bumps at low speed, otherwise I had no problems with them riding single or 2-up.

#18 ·
Frodoe.....google bitchinbaggers, they are in Mesa. I have heard good stuff about the shocks, but have never ridden a bike with them. Good luck.

#20 ·
the 940's worked well for me , the problem with any production shock is they make them 1 size fits all and that is what I love about my Ohlins on this bike , custom fit to you and your riding style

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.