Road Glide banner

Shark week III - Saint George Utah 2013 -July 30 to Aug 1

82K views 477 replies 120 participants last post by  04Glider2 
#1 ·
Straymutt and Nutter mutter were the brave souls to take on Shark Week III and they are bringing it to the west coast. Saint George Utah is the destination, date to be announced later as Ron and Mark need to do some recon as they put it. Expect mid July again, but could change.
Letting all of you know that couldn't make it this year and hear the announcement Hutmo made tonight.

Looking forward to next year already

***Update*** Here is a quote from Straymutt further down the thread.
OK, boys and girls, I journeyed on up to St. George this past weekend to scout things out, check out hotels, and meet some people that will be key to the success of Shark Week III. All I can say is WOW!! I can't wait to return with Nutter Mutter to start picking out the rides and plan activities.

And I have good news - the schedule and accommodations are set. I will post hotel info separately (clink on link here) so that there will be no cross post confusion, but I will state here that the goal of July 30 through August 1 has been met. Mark your calendars!!

The folks at Zion Harley are on board and fired up to have us already. They have offered to host a barbeque for us the first evening, the 30th, and will give us a discount on purchases. Pretty cool!

I also met with the present and future directors of the Southern Utah HOG chapter (very cool guys, both) and they are REALLY fired up to help us out too. And a bonus, the present director, Jerry, rides a Road Glide, and I mean RIDES! He told me he's got an '11 model and already has 60K + miles on it! If he hasn't already joined up the forum, I'm sure he will. Mark and I plan to get with him several times over the coming year to explore places that we will want to put on our agenda. I gave him a few ideas on places we want to visit, ride lengths we want to offer, and places to stage a group shot. He's got a ton of ideas.

So let's get ready for Shark Week III!! Being there, meeting with the folks, seeing the scenery has got me really pumped. Shark Week - You'll Wish You Were There!

#212 ·
I buy this by the 6 pack

I like this stuff, and it is 7.3%. I guess you can buy it by the 6 pack, put em in your saddle back and take them to IL. I won't drink while riding, but at the hotel sitting around the fire in the parking lot :eek:, I may have a couple.

I know this looks like a 3 pack, seems my wife and JRMAC like it too. :D

Attachments

#213 ·
I like this stuff, and it is 7.3%. I guess you can buy it by the 6 pack, put em in your saddle back and take them to IL. I won't drink while riding, but at the hotel sitting around the fire in the parking lot :eek:, I may have a couple.

I know this looks like a 3 pack, seems my wife and JRMAC like it too. :D
I had some of that last week at my favorite pizza joint. Good stuff, couldn't have made it better myself......:D

#219 ·
Nevadasun & DesertShark,

Next time that you are running thru the area, give me a yell. I am always open to a good ride. I live less than a mile from the Pilot just across the Utah border on the south end of St. George.

Mutt,

Don't forget. I'm available to help out as well. Looking forward to some of the exploratory rides. I assume that most will be in the spring and early summer though.

#225 ·
Some shots from nearby Zion National Park, going through Zion is almost like, stepping back in time....

....in the summer heat people have been known to lose their minds on the rocks

waiting to go through the mile long tunnel....and yeah that is a Triumph sitting in front of me....

the road to also nearby North Rim of the Grand Canyon, where the Buffalo roam....

#238 ·
Quicksand,

I've lived here since i was 8 years old. Been up to the north rim countless times. I have never been able to catch a glimpse of the wild buffalo in the area. That must have been a real treat.

There is a domesticated herd just on the east side of Zion park and I do see them quite often. There are also a few herd on the Henry mountains that I have heard of and as I understand it, they are 1 of only 4 genetically pure free roaming herds in the north americas.

#239 ·
It was a treat Desertwndrr. As you can see from the pic though it was a sunny day there was one rain cloud directly over me so I was proceeding slowy. By the time I got right up beside them they had barely cleared the road and the biggest one turned and stared to me as if to say 'Where you going big boy this is my road'....thankfully he turned and walked a way. A few minutes later I was thinkin' that was stupid of me, had he took a notion and charged me he would have ruined my day. Course me and stupid ain't never far apart LOL.

#248 ·
Ok, this place is definitely on the to-do list. Part of or near Zion

North Coyote Buttes - The Wave
The Wave is located on the Colorado Plateau, near the Utah and Arizona border. The area is a gallery of gruesomely twisted sandstone, resembling deformed pillars, cones, mushrooms and other odd creations. Deposits of iron claim some of the responsibility for the unique blending of color twisted in the rock, creating a dramatic rainbow of pastel yellows, pinks and reds.

#251 ·
tons of housing in and around Sturgis, but I think a handful of us might be taking a different approach on the post SW3 ride to sturgis....one that might include the Cali HW1 or some other amazing scenic ride.

As of now the feeling is to take a handful of days to explore some of the best roads / scenery the west has then end up in the Sturgis area for a day or 2ish.

D.

#254 ·
Ive found a ton of places & sites I wanna see. Definitely wanna hit Vegas strip at night and if Im that close to marking Ca off the list Ive got to go there too! Then if Im hitting Ca, might as well see the ocean while Im there. Damn! Gonna need at least a month to fit all this in....lol

#256 ·
I can't make it this year due to work and personal considerations, but I lived in the foothills of Boulder, Colorado area for 10 years and owned a sport tourer with a ton of torque and there is no state in the country that I know of that has the scenic mountain pass roads like Colorado. Ride through Estes Park and up and over the 12,000+ peak of the Rocky Mountain National Park. With any luck you'll see a group of Big Horn sheep, or a few elk, or whatever you might be lucky enough to see. Then head west through the Eisenhower Tunnel on I-70 to Grand Junction and head south on the western slope to Pagossa Springs, Ouray (the highlight of the tour!) and on through Silverton and into Durango. Check out the Federal cliff dwellers cave like dwellings near the 4 corners area. The 4 corners area is the only place in the country where 4 states intersect. You get to cross off 4 states on your map in one minute! It's a wonderful riding state. So many wonderful destination rides: Pike's Peak, The Cathedral at the Air Force Academy; Garden of the Gods; Red Rocks amphitheater; and on and on.

Yup, you could use a month!

#257 · (Edited)
Ride through Estes Park and up and over the 12,000+ peak of the Rocky Mountain National Park. With any luck you'll see a group of Big Horn sheep, or a few elk, or whatever you might be lucky enough to see. Then head west through the Eisenhower Tunnel on I-70 to Grand Junction and head south on the western slope to Pagossa Springs, Ouray (the highlight of the tour!) and on through Silverton and into Durango.
We did this route in 2005 on our way to Albequerque, and intend to do at least some of it on the way to and/or from SWIII.
I've gotta do some research on the best route, I'm thinking running down through the middle of Utah, just to be sure we don't miss anything there, and maybe running back home through more of Colorado.
Pisser is there's almost no way to get from here to there without wasting a day in Nebraska or Kansas. Western Iowa isn't wonderful either for that matter.Basically takes 2 days to get to the good riding from here.

Tenative route is Grand Island Neb first nite, Fort Collins or Estes park 2nd nite, Price Utah 3rd nite, then to on St George on the 4th day. Ends up being about 400mi each day more or less.

#258 ·
I've got the beginnings of a route picked out. Leave St. Peters on Friday after work. Stop for Dinner with my Daughter in Columbia. Stop overnight in KC. That is what I did this year going to SWII (I took the long way there). Then make a long distance run thru Kansas, on Saturday, to Denver. All on I-70. Sunday is a run from Denver to Grand Junction, mostly on I-70 but with time for a few side trips. Monday will be Grand Junction to St. George. Probably staying on I-70 up to US-89, then south from there. According to Google, if I get off the Interstate at 89, it adds only about 20 miles to the trip, but takes an additional 2 hours. Sounds good to me.

For those wondering, I organized it around free Hotel rooms. The only night I pay for along the way is in Grand Junction. Gotta economize where I can.

Leaving Friday, it will be across Northern Arizona/New Mexico to Albuquerque. That pretty much ends the scenic portion of the trip. From there, it is I-40 to Oklahoma City, then I-44 back home. Bookin it on the Interstate.

I figure the coming and going will add 5 states to my map. I may follow a Lime Green bike down to Nevada and California to add a couple more while there.

Is it time to go yet?

242 DAYS!!!

#262 ·
Gypsy tour?

Haven't yet committed to the SWIII because of vacation time conflicts,but will if at all possible.As part of the trip I would possibly incorperate joining up on the GYPSY TOUR but am having no success finding info as to the full details as to its route and dates.I would be traveling from northern In. and could join others passing this way .Any guidance would be appreciated.

#263 ·
Haven't yet committed to the SWIII because of vacation time conflicts,but will if at all possible.As part of the trip I would possibly incorperate joining up on the GYPSY TOUR but am having no success finding info as to the full details as to its route and dates.I would be traveling from northern In. and could join others passing this way .Any guidance would be appreciated.
Details on the Gypsy Tour havent been released yet. Hutmo will post a thread in the upcoming months outlining his plans. Stay Tuned!!!

#268 ·
might have similar plans... just not sure yet..

As it stands I think my wife is going to fly out to St.G on Wednesday 7/31 and spend the last 2 days at SW and then 2 days on the road for the extended route home.

I think once we finalize the extended route to Sturigs then ultimately home, I'll find an airport on that route to drop her off at.

4 days on the bike will be about 4 days longer than she has ever done so I wont push her beyond that!

#269 ·
Yea, we are planning for mrs garvin90 to ride out with me, then i drop her at an airport. She cant take really more than a week of because of how busy they get, that and shes the only designer.

Ive been all through the west, but only in the truck and on major roads. I want to see as much as i can since who knows when sw will be back to that area. I just need my hammock and t/p and i will be more than ready for the road ahead.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

#270 ·
After Shark Week.

AFTER SHARK WEEK III Here are my plans

Take 15 south to 169 (North Shore Drive ) to visit Hoover Dam and then on to Vegas for a day or two. I have a connection at the Mirage Hotel. We can get a good deal.

After Vegas head north on 93 to Ely Nevada for a night at the Hotel Nevada.
http://hotelnevada.com/

Super cool and cheap. Old school hotel that caters to bikers. You park right in front of the place so no one messes with the bikes.

From Ely I plan to head West on Rt 50 which is also known as the Loneliest Road. http://byways.org/explore/byways/2033/

You can pick up a passport and get it stamped in the few towns. Once you get it all stamped you send to to the Nevada DOT and they send you a survivors certificate. fun stuff.

Rt 50 takes you right to Reno. Last time there I stayed at Circus Circus. Very cheap.

After this I am thinking a trip to San Fran on the Lincoln Highway to its end and then a trip to Yuba City to visit the monument for an old student of mine who died in Afghanistan.

That's the current plan. It may change a bit but it will be a great ride. Did it before and somethings are worth doing again.

HUTMO

#271 ·
After Shark Week

OR...

We can go West to Death Valley.

go North on 395 to lake Tahoe and Reno Then go East to Highway 50 the Loneliest Road

Rt 50 to Ely

From here I would go North all the way to Rt 2. Never finished riding East on that one.

This would be good too.

HUTMO

#273 ·
Since I grew up in Pacific Palisades, we spent sundays watching my dad play volleyball on the beach. I'll need to get back home and get to work. Some of us do not get the whole summer off.

I plan on heading east on Friday, thru northern Arizona and New Mexico, riding the two lanes thru the desert, stopping in Albuquerque (spelled that without using spell checker :cool: ). From there, it is all interstate back home, with an overnight in Oklahoma city.

I am hoping there will be interest in a day trip to Lost Wages/Hoover Dam/someplace neat in Nevada. Maybe even rolling the wheels, albeit briefly, into California.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.