Road Glide banner

ways to "plug in" heated gear

11K views 31 replies 22 participants last post by  smitty901 
#1 ·
Where have those that have heated gear found best to "plug in".? Anyone found any real good ways to mount a plug to the bike? If any have permanent mounting on bike, can you provide any pictures.? Thanks.

#2 ·
Best spot is on your left side as seated between the seat and saddle bag. Makes it easy to plug in an unplug as you get off. Also allows you to secure it with a zip tie to the strut and tuck the plug under the edge of the seat or in an area behind the struts when not used.

#3 ·
I run mine with an on/off rocker switch on the right side velcroed to the frame in front of the right side cover. I mounted the rheostat in the same spot on the left side also with velcro.
When not in use I put the cable back into the opening where the plug wires are. So far no problems.
I know Gerbing's sells a plug kit that you can put anywhere you like and just plug into it and go.
Hope this helps.
Best of Luck!
Mike U.

#5 ·
I wired my pigtail to the plug under the seat, that's controlled by the ACC switch on the instrument nacelle. Makes it easy to just turn off and on as needed, rather than use an expensive controller/rheostat.

Jeff

#6 ·
I mounted the controller to the inner left side of my fiaring with velcro. As for the actual plug, I have it at the lower left side between the seat and the fuel tank. The plug tucks under the seat when not in use and when I am plugged in (and forget) it unplugs easily without stressing the wires as I get off the bike.

#7 ·
Left front of the seat is where I mount mine. The plug is to the left rear of the fuel tank and to the left side of the seat, it is easy to plug in there because the plug is in your left front so you can swing your leg over the seat uninterrupted. It is also easy to tuck the plug under the seat and you don't need Velcro or zip ties in this location.

#8 ·
I'm going to have to look into Gerbings' solution. Currently, I have my pigtail ziptie'd to the starter and my dual thermostat sits in my lap. I'd love to have a leather dash that has a hoop to clip my thermostat to.

#9 ·
I too have mine running out on the left side under the seat tank area, out one of the holes in the frame and pushed back when not in use. What is indicated here is exactly what I am looking for, something to somehow mount it to the dash (and plug in there as well), to keep it easier to adjust when riding.
Thanks for the responses.

#10 ·
I made an adapter to plug into my battery Tender plug. (i have seen premade adapters sold)

(most dealers install the plug hanging down by the starter but, I relocated my plug back by my tour-pak so it is easier for me to plug it in.)

I would take a pic but the bike is apart for some 'winter upgrades"

#17 ·
Will the dual troller work with the HD mid-frame heat deflectors? I have the dual controller that clips on your belt or a pocket, just as long as you can get to and adjust the controller it works great.

#22 ·
Yep I like this route! Going thru the back rest split.

#14 ·
I let the power plug stick out from the front of the seat, and tuck it under the seat when not in use. As far as the heat controller, it hangs on the inside pocket of the jacket

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

#16 ·
Anyone ever replace (on an ultra styled dash) the CB plug in (at least I think it's used for CB's) with something to direct plug your thermostat controller on the dash? If so, how do you keep the thermostat controller in place, without having it in jacket pocket then.?
Thanks for all the info.

#18 ·
I have used the cigarette lighter to power my jacket and gloves for years without a problem. Gerbing sells a optional cigarette plug adapter for $20 that works great. It also has switch to turn the system off so you can leave your controller alone. Easy and clean with no hanging plugs!! Chris

#19 ·
I received a set of the HD version (Gerbings made) gloves and recently picked up the dual controller. Figured I'll add the jacket later. My question is for using the controller with the gloves which is the correct port on the dual controller - the black-labeled lead or the white-labeled lead?

Staying with the topic, I do like the clean look of the Powerlet setup. Will have to look into it this winter.

#20 ·
I just got the rest of the parts I need for my installation of the gerbing dual permanent controller. My plan is to move the cruise control switch to the blank plug on the left side of the nacelle next to the odometer button, remove the "Aux" switch and fill both empty spots, on the right, with a switch blank plugs. The heat control knobs and LEDs will mount into those switch panel blank plugs on the right side, one for jacket, and one for gloves/pants. That will address the controller portion. For the heated gear connections I'll be putting (3) gerbing plug ports (hopefully powder coated black) into the left side mid-frame air deflector. I believe this will give me the cleanest install and will be easy to remove should I sell/trade the bike later and I'll be able to easily remove the air deflectors and tuck the wiring connections up under the seat, during warmer weather, until I need to reinstall them for winter. I'll post pics of the install once complete.

#23 ·
93 hit me with pics when u finish this mod id like to do the same

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#26 ·
Well I finally got off my ass to mount the permanent controller. It sucks but the switch blanks are about 1/32" too narrow to fit the switches flat. If you don't mind them angled they'll work but I'm OCD and couldn't deal with that. So after reassembling the front end I decided that the mid frame air deflector would be my spot. I wanted them where I could see them and I refuse to drill through paint and this was my second choice for mounting. I'm still waiting on the panel ports which have been on back order for weeks. I'll post a follow up once those are in.

Vehicle Auto part Automotive lighting Tire Automotive tire

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

#29 ·
I'm still waiting on the panel ports which have been on back order for weeks. I'll post a follow up once those are in.
Where are you planning the putting the panel ports?? I only ask, because where you mounted your controller is the same spot I was going to mount my Gerbings power port however, my leg kept hitting the plug every time I put my foot down.
I put a main power plug in the side cover over the fuse block so I can just plug in my controller when I sit down. The big downfall is yes,:eek::eek: I had to drill through the paint. I was nervous then thought "when the time comes for me to replace this bike, the paint will be all crapped with 100,000 miles of riding anyways!!!:D

#30 ·
I like the way 93-PSi is going. I like the idea of at the end of the cold season I can take it all back off for next year and not have it there all the time. It really has nothing to do with the drilling of holes, I just don't want it there all year long. Cause come the spring this shark will shed some winter pounds and go back to being a sleek machine again. Just my 2 cents

#32 ·
Kept it simple route the connection through the seat slot when they are not needed tuck them in.
Works for me out of the way

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.