Road Glide banner

Which Do Prefer? Heated Gloves or Heated Grips

Heated Gloves or Heated Grips

13K views 50 replies 42 participants last post by  Andrew_Willingham 
#1 ·
Ok, I am planning on riding for as long as I can this year. One way for me to be able to do that is either get heated gloves or heated grips. From reading a diffeent forum, I think that I have made up my mind on which I would want, but I would like to hear what it is that all of you think?

#32 ·
Even though I don't need either where I live, I voted gloves, I used to live in MI and IL, the grips are only good for the bike, the gloves go with you, if something should ever happen and you have to do a little walk, the grips won't help much, not to mention they can only reach a certain part of your hands. Added bonus you can use the gloves with a snowmobile also. :)

#33 ·
I use gloves,the heat the outside of my hands to the point the grips feel cool.Also,hand shields help by getting the wind off your hands too.

I'm fine this way into the 20's on a 45 minute commute.

#34 ·
Why gloves

Everybody says gloves go with you but not the battery. And you will have heavy gloves on anyway unless u can recommend a nice set of self powered gloves. Thoughts?

#36 ·
Everybody says gloves go with you but not the battery. And you will have heavy gloves on anyway unless u can recommend a nice set of self powered gloves. Thoughts?
All good points.

HD does or used to sell battery operated gloves as well.

My HD heated gloves are a nice set of Thinsulate insulated waterproof leather gloves that would be more than sufficient for a walk without power, should something happen. Remember, it is the added high speed wind that necessitates the powered heat. Most of us probably don't require powered heat in gloves just while walking. Additionally, if someone is still riding, it probably won't be deathly cold. We would all stop riding (except in rare cases) when it got cold enough to require heated gear for walking.

I like the gloves, they're comfortable to wear while riding, they're not too bulky to work my bikes controls, and they keep my hands warm. I would recommend that anyone who could afford them and/or has a need for the extra warmth get a pair.

For me, there was little cost difference to buy a set of heated gloves and buying a set of heated grips. Since, that was the case, I went with the gloves.

Hope this helps the OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#35 ·
I have Heat Demons on my Heritage and Ultra Classic. They get so hot on the Heritage I have to turn them down On the Ultra Classic they get luke warm. I think maybe it has something to do with the Fly by wire on the Ultra. On my Road Glide I am going with gloves or perhaps a heated glove liner. I ride all year long regardless of weather. I wear FXRG jacket and pants and gloves when the weather is bad only part of me that gets cold is my fingers on the Ultra Classic.

#38 ·
Thanks a million ladies and gentleman. I think that when I really feel the need for something, I think that I will go with the heated gloves. I like the idea that they don't stay with the bike, that I can take them with me. I live in Minnesota, and I think that I would rather use my snowmobile gloves for now. Those things are really warm. :)

#41 ·
I've had both ~ love the convenience of the Grip but the Gloves are a better choice for heat ~ I ride alot so my hands are not always on the grip and the grips seemed not to work as well at higher speeds ~ I have the gloves now and have no intention of adding the heated grips to my RG ~

#42 ·
I've been running Brookstone heated glove liners. They take 3 AAs each. With NiZn rechargeables the high setting gets warm enough to feel warm indoors or warm enough to take off the chill on the bike and run for an hour or so on that setting when the batteries are in OK shape.

Even with my old Kawasaki that had no wind protection at all at the grips I'd have no qualms about running this setup deep into the 20s.

#43 ·
Love the gloves! (and my heated liner) As said earlier, keeps you whole hand warm! We rode last night in 20 mph north winds and 40 degrees! My hands were toasty!
Debbie

#45 ·
I vote for the gloves too! I used to use heated glove liners. I just bought a pair of Berling's T5 Gloves and they're awesome. I also use a heated jacket and a pair of chaps. The only thing that stops me from riding is the snow. Don't mind the cold as long as I have my heated gear on. Good luck on your choice.
Mike U.

#46 ·
I just pucked up this year at the NY motorcycle show a set of heated glove liners which I wear with my deer skin gauntlet gloves as well as the heat demons grip heaters. I haven't installed the heat demins as of yet but I rode with the glove liners on a cold morning about 35 degrees out and I was very happy with the outcome can't wait to put on the heat demons that would really make it super comfortable. I'm not comfortable bulking up with all the heated gear. So that's the coldest I've ridden in.

#48 ·
I would like both because I can drive with a thinner glove and not some kind of snow mobile mitt. Then I can also stand outside off the bike and have a smoke with the gloves still hooked up to the bike and the bike not running.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.