Road Glide banner

i know... another handle bar thread :-)

4K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  R scott 
#1 · (Edited)
I am on a limited budget due to the holiday season approaching quickly. I am 6 ft tall and still feel like I am reaching for the bars. Can anyone suggest a cheap handlebar that would give me more pullback as well as more rise?

I have read a plethora of threads and not many people include their body size or whether or not the job included cables/hoses.

I need a handlebar under $150 that will work (positively) with stock cables and grips. The difficult part is I need as much rise and pullback as possible with all the other stock parts intact.

Sorry to bring this up again but after three hours of searching, I seemed to get more confused...

2012 RG Ultra

#3 ·
Thanks monster, I'll check em out. Is it true that any 12" or less apes will fit with stock cables/hoses?

#6 ·
If your limiting your budget to just bars and getting away with the stock wiring, brake line, and clutch cable then 12" apes is about as much as your going to get away with. Even with that your going to have to reroute your clutch and brake line.

#7 ·
Thanks for the help. I guess I'll just drag the project out, order bars and get them installed. Then figure out which cables I need and hopefully get it back together fairly soon :)

#8 ·
I put on a set of wild one outlawz 12" ($220). My suggestion, wait if you have to to get the right bars. These are by far my best mod ever. Comfort is important. I did the internal wiring myself, wasn't that bad. Add another 50-100 for grips. No need to switch out cables on 12". I'm 6'3", so maybe you don't need 12"? Measure up and figure out the best fit for you. Try different bars if you can for feel before buying, you only want to route wires internally once.

#9 ·
My suggestion, wait if you have to to get the right bars
Thats the problem though figuring out which ones are the 'right' bars. For a year and a half I thought my stock bars were fine, and I ride quite a bit. Then I took a 12 day, 5300 mile trip and my elbows have been pretty much sore ever since. I think it's shoulder related.

A friend of mine has 12" Kromewerks apes that felt pretty good but a lot of bars feel good for a few minutes, so I don't know. Think when I switch I'll probably try them. They aren't too expensive and he says you can use the original cables etc.

Probably if you did a poll though most people on here, by a lot, are using Heritage bars. Also I don't know if you've looked but the CVO bars have a bit more pull back as well....looks alot like the Heritage bars if it's not the same.

I'm about 6'1 or 2 btw

#10 ·
Thats the problem though figuring out which ones are the 'right' bars. For a year and a half I thought my stock bars were fine, and I ride quite a bit. Then I took a 12 day, 5300 mile trip and my elbows have been pretty much sore ever since. I think it's shoulder related.
You're right. But a little measuring and figuring you probably can come up with the bar you need to solve the problem. What hurts and why is it huring, reaching too much? Wrist bent wrong?

My advice was more find what you think will fix the problem and if they cost more than 150, don't settle on one because of price. Settle on one that has the best shot of fixing your issue.

Another thing I did, was send emails to the manufacturer/retailer with what I wanted to accomplish and they came back with recommendations on what they thought would be best.

I knew right away after going to a Harley Dealer with a bar display that the heritiage bar was not for me strickly going off of wrist angle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.