Road Glide banner

Wobble video

23K views 46 replies 40 participants last post by  flyinlow007 
#1 · (Edited)
2012 RoadGlide Wobble video

I shot this to show those fortunate enough to not have this issue what it looks like, and for those who do to have visual proof that they are not alone. I'll be making the adjustments to correct this in the coming days.
http://youtu.be/SSDihPynsBg

#2 ·
Although this happens on 2011's as well, but not to that extent. Since I got to about 5000 miles it has smoothed out quite a bit. I just don't take my hands off the bars at the same time.
Bring the video to the dealer/service and show them. They should fix it. Once you bring a safety issues to them (documented) they have a legal commitment to resolve it. If not, a nice lawsuit can pay off big for you. For a company to intentionally ignore a safety issues is not viewed favorably by a jury. Obviously, you would need to get into an accident and relate it to the flaw in their product, but this video, and dated/documented proof you brought it to their attention, would prove a windfall for you.

#3 ·
It would help if you mentioned what year bike and the speeds that the wobble start at on the video. I know that the bike has to be newer then 08 because my 08 doesn't have any wobble at all unless the front tire is worn out and needs to be replaced.

#4 · (Edited)
Good suggestions. I added the year in the title and for the speeds... Above 50 mph it just hints at instability when letting go of the bars and decelerating thru 2,000 rpm. In 3rd, or 4th, gears with the tach starting above 2,000 rpm will initiate this wobble when letting go of the bars allowing the bike to slow and it predictably begins at 2,000 rpm. With the cruise control on I can ride at any speed even at 2,000 rpm with hands off the bars with no stability issues.

#8 ·
"HD will not listen to a complaint that happens with youre hands off the bars".

I had the wobble issue at first. I told my dealer that it happens when I loosen my grip on the bars. I knew they wouldn't listen if I told them I was riding with no hands. I've known the head mechanic forever and he tried to weasel out of doing the work. I told him that it will drive me nuts if he doesn't fix it. I handed him $20 and he took my bike in the shop. I picked it up later that day and there was no wobble. It's amazing how things get fixed when Andrew Jackson intervenes.

"Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals; except for the weasle". ------- Homer Simpson.

#9 ·
GREAT Video! Finally good to see what the wobble is all about, that simply is not right! I'm sure it will help many others and they can simply show the Stealership this clip to make them understand how crazy that is.

#11 ·
thankfully i am one of the lucky ones - no gots

but i cant beleive how bad that is and how pervasive the issue is

love my american made products but bmw looks better everyday - although i am sure they are bitchin on their threads too

just so i understand - you can not feel this with hands on bars?

#13 ·
When my tires were used with at approximately 18,000 miles, I began to experience and I saw the same thing happening like your video. Later, after I got home from my road trip, I immediately had both tires changed and the steering lubed. Once that was done, I test road the bike and noticed the wobble was almost completely gone. I could still feel a little wobble at approximately 35-40 mph. But nothing like you had in the video.

#14 ·
I had the same issue on my 06, I got about 41,000 k's out of the original front tire, I changed the tire this spring and all the issues with the wobble went away with the tire change. I am thinking of trying the Michelins when this rear tire wears out. I will change them both to keep the tread pattern the same. They are supposed to have a great wear life so we will see.

#15 ·
I got the shakes!!

My brand new 2012 road glide ultra does this, did it this morning on the way to work. A violent shake.
Im thinking if I didnt get a tight grip on the bars I woulda been spread across the road!!
Its the weekend right now and i called Harley about this. They dont take messages and dont receive emails (at any time)! How about that!!
I will call back Monday and tell them I want this addressed. Wondering what there response will be?

#16 ·
Had this same thing on my 09 when I first got it, was even worse if I had my tour pack or wife on the back.
With less than 3000km on the bike( about 1800 miles) the front tire had developed some severe scalping on it and this only made it worse.
The dealer replaced the tire under warrenty and must have done some other stuff as I have never had a wobble since, at 42000 km as of now.

#17 ·
Here's something to think about..... my wife just had a new rear tire put on her Dyna. I asked the tech (Indy) what pressure he put in....... he said 40. I pulled out my digital gauge and checked. It was 32 psi. He checked again, and his gauge read 40. He shrugged his shoulders and tossed his gauge in the trash, and grabbed another one...... this one was right.

My gauge is right, I had it checked at a scuba shop with a calibrated gauge.

Check your calibration folks. Get a good gauge.

Reactions: SERGMARK
#19 ·
I shot this to show those fortunate enough to not have this issue what it looks like, and for those who do to have visual proof that they are not alone. I'll be making the adjustments to correct this in the coming days.
http://youtu.be/SSDihPynsBg

Well that's bad--others are now having the same issue!
Wish MOTO would gt this fix! :mad::mad::mad:

#24 ·
there is a fix for it. adjust the neck bolts so that you have a fallaway between 1 to 1.5 swings and that should do it. if it doesn't, look at your tire.

oh, and it isn't a one time fix. as your bike wears, the fallway will change and you'll have to do it again, eventually.

#20 ·
ive seen this happen on my 2011 RGU when i've taken my hands off the bars, but it never worried me because I thought that all motorcycles wobbled when you removed your hands from the bars. is this really an important issue? hands on the bars, rides like a champ, hands off the bars, wobbles. what exactly are people saying the issue is?

#23 ·
My 08 did this also. I calmly explained to my dealer that if I remove even one of my hands from the bars to say turn on the radio, or adjust a mirror, it wants to rip my other hand off the bars. I even felt it when I would grab the clutch. Not having a death grip on the bars with both hands and my bike was possessed. The dealer tightened the head bolts, which were hand tight according to the mechanic, and 23000 miles later and no issues. Just use my example when you talk to the dealer and they will fix it.

#30 ·
This is my first time viewing this thread, I'm glad you solved the problem, if my bike were to do that, it would have to be fixed, I couldn't tolerate that at all, I don't ride with no hands, but I imagine you must have been able to feel it even with both hands on the bars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.