Road Glide banner

TIRE ALERT ! !!! Dunlop D408f tires

63K views 152 replies 79 participants last post by  HellInABucket 
#1 ·
Just finished my pre-ride check before running out to east texas. I guess i'm not going . 2200 miles on this . 130/70/18 front tire.
Heads up on these!

I'm still kinda thinking about that ride home yesterday. 80 mph in 100 degree heat.
the right side of the tire is perfect. The left side is cracked pretty much all the way around.I'm uploading pics to photobucket and just filed a report with nhtsa. FWIW
I cant wait for the dealer to call it road hazard.........

Attachments

See less See more
#58 ·
Definitely looks like a build issue from the responses and pics posted.

I checked the tire on my 2010 (09 date code) at 12k miles and it's fine.

The issue on the 09 bikes was just that the directional arrow was made the wrong way, so the tires were all mounted reverse and started cupping. Dealers took care of that no problem.

#62 ·
Bike at dealer right now for stage I will check tire before leaving the shop. Thanks for the heads up.

#65 ·
Shake, rattle, and wobble

Yep, my new 2011 RGU has the same shimmy as described in this thread. I've had the bike less then 2 weeks and rolled over the 1000 mile mark today. Tried to simulate by letting go of throttle and then handlebars. several times I tried and several times I got the wobble. Time to take it back for 1000 mile service anyway. Oh joy! Thanks for posting this!

#69 ·
I picked up my bike today from its 5K service. I had told them about the cracking when I dropped it off. My cracks were tiny and minor compared to others on this forum. Nevertheless, they replaced it with a new tire with absolutely NO questions asked or hassle. SM said he expected to see a bulletin from HD and/or dunlop on these tires soon.
Cheers.
Ian

#72 ·
I went to get my new front tire from the dealer this morning, no questions asked. However on the 45 minute ride home, I am NOW a member of the front end wobble club. I'm so pissed. This also points the problem directly to the tire. They also added a sh!tload of wheel weights. A lot more than the stock tire. The wobble is only a problem if you take your hands off the bars.

#74 ·
yea mine is stable at 120 and 90 and 80 and 65 and 50 and 35 and 77 and all speeds in between....except when coasting from say 50mph down to 40mph. The only time it goes into a handlebar wobble is hands off the bars and coasting. I think that is what most of us have found.

#75 · (Edited)
Maybe the tree nut is loose. I let go the other day and let the bike coast on down and no wobble. I did have a little problem one time in the smokies probably bad road. But I do let go of the bars quit abit and steer with my legs and weight with cruise on. I use to think the best bike I ever had was my 2000 valkryie interstate, tell I got the RGU. I would have to ride them back to back now to tell. This RGU I really think would be the winner now. Sold the interstate in 2002. Anyway I hope my bike don't turn into the wobbler.

#76 ·
I was washing my bike this weekend, While cleaning the Wheels I noticed small cracks developing on one side of my front tire. Took it to the dealer yesterday and the Service manager acted kind of surprised when I told him I only had 1500 miles on my bike and the tire was cracking but as soon as he saw it he said they would replace it no questions asked.

#78 ·
Thanks to you guys on the forum, I checked my tires just for the hell of it even though its only a month old. Well, my tire was cracked. I rode it up to the dealer and they took care of it. They were out of stock on tires but the service manage didn't want me to leave so they took a rim/tire/rotor combo off a 2012 Street Glide with 7 miles. I had 3500 miles on it an it was already cupping. I also have the front end wobble. At my 1000 mile service I told them about it (different dealer - I was out on the road) and they even took me back and showed me how to do it and what they look for. It was better after that but now even after the brand new tire I am having front in wobble starting at 40mph and lower. I can let go of the bars at 65-70mph and all is fine..until it hits 40..I don't know, I will monitor the forum and call a few dealers to see whats up. Thanks again guys!

#79 ·
Hey all, update on my tire situation. I bought mine Dec 2010 from a dealer with the Agitator rims. There are 2 dealers near me one less than 5 miles apart and the other about 40, both owned by the same person but I bought mine from the one 40 miles away.
Due to the weather, I haven't been able to get it to the local dealer till this past fri. The service manager there would replace the tire for a $85 mounting fee!
The dealer I bought the tire package from ordered(supposedly) a replacement more than a week ago but haven't gotten it yet however, the local dealer here has one in stock though why he didn't he get the one locally is beyond me.
So I'm pissed now so I call Dunlop and they start asking questions like can you put a fingernail in the crack, tire tread depth ect, you know where this is going. This was today! So I'm cross eyed now and need to take a deep breath before I act a fool! LOL!

#85 ·
I just checked my front tire and have a date code 3610. The tire has cracks, however not as bad as some pictured here. I plan on taking a few pictures and heading in for my 5k service to address the head shake, tire issue and the expensive oil change at my local dealer.
I'll check back afterwards to document how this dealer handled the tire issue.

#86 ·
I think mine was 3010 or 3110, either way the managers I dealt with both of whom traveled to Cali for some big bike show confirmed that they spoke to Dunlop reps who confirmed that there was a batch issue with this tire. Apparently those made between 03/10 and 08/10 are definitely affected.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.