Road Glide banner

Hidden Fairing Damage

43K views 86 replies 58 participants last post by  MikeMan 
#1 ·
I have found a small problem that will effect most of you.

It appears that the inside of the outer fairing rubs on the bracket that holds the radio in place.

This will eventually rub all the way through the outer fairing. Mine has 20K miles on it and it has already broken through.

The damage is from the inside and hidden below the windshield trim so it is not seen from the outside till to late.

See attached photo to see what I am talking about.

Attachments

See less See more
#63 ·
This problem has been going on since 2004 at least. The MOCO took action in the 2011 model bikes by finally doing a very simple redesign of the bracket. Essentially they shortened the bracket so it would not come in contact with the inside of the fairing. It cost them nothing to change the specifications to the bracket supplier. It could have been done years ago for the same price. The bastards will do absolutely anything to generate a sale of parts.
The good news is that anybody can fairly easily fix the older models by filling in the gough with JB Weld and then grinding off 1/8" inch of the metal bracket.

#65 ·
your funny. I saw this a long while ago. I too would not have known. I just filed off 1/8 inch. This is a great site.

#67 ·
This thread got me wondering so I checked mine and have 1/4" clear between the fairing and the radio caddy. Keep in mind I'm converting an Electra Glide to a Road Glide which really shouldn't matter. I purchased a 04-09 neck mount and radio caddy from Surdyke back in October and they had to get it from the MoCo. It came with rubber trim on the top also. Could it be that the MoCo quietly made a change? The part number hasn't changed. Just wonderin'.

RT

#68 ·
Bummer.....decided to check today with fingers crossed, but unfortunately I'm a member of the "club with the rub".:mad: Both sides grooved, but luckily caught it before completely through on either. JB Weld is drying overnight then tackling the bracket modifications tomorrow. Gonna see if local dealer has the rubber in stock or find an alternative if not.

#69 ·
Harley will replace this fairing for you, as long as you have a warranty and if not there's the door. Remember the money you spent getting your bike.
Had this same problem with my 08 back in 08, had 2 windshields replaced before problem was find to be radio bracket rubbing under side of fairing.
Just another misstep for Harley-Davidson Quality control LOL:eek:

#71 ·
It shouldn't be on yours but it was on my 2010.....just found the damage when I took the fairing off to put in new speakers, antenna and garage door opener......took the vice grips to it and bent both sides in....hopefully it helps

#72 ·
I was just installing a new J&M Rokker set up and found the brackets had eaten through my fairing (at 25k miles) with daylight pin holes under the wind screen. I did an epoxy fill on the fairing and cut the brackets 1/8" tapered to 1/4" respectively in the area associated with the wear. I also glued on a split 3/16" fuel line x 1 1/4" over the wear area on the radio bracket edges. This should make contact with the fairing at -1/16" tolerance of the original bracket.
I'll check it at +5k miles to see how the patch is holding up and report it here.

#75 ·
I just had my outer fairing off for new bars. The radio bracket on my '11 RGU has rubber covering the radio brackets. I didn't find any wear on the fairing.

#77 ·
Had my 08 in for speakers under extended warranty and sure enough rubbing on both sides. So the only issue I have is, I don't put a lot of miles on my bike because I work a lot and health reasons so I'm in my extended warranty. My service manager says that nothing cosmetic is covered under extended. So because I didn't have my fairing taken apart until after my factory warranty ran out I'm screwed. He is going to call the MOCO on Monday and I will know then if it is getting replaced. If not I may trade it in on a 2012 Road glide. They are really trying to move them....

#80 ·
Yes, you need to trim the brackets down and then put rubber strips on. I tapered mine on the outer front edge so the line matches angle of fairing better. Do a parts lookup on the old versus new radio brackets and you'll see how the new ones are tapered relative to the old.

#81 ·
You got a 13

Unless they went backwards I have a 12 & they fixed the problem...my bracket & prolly the whole nose inside is different...I noticed when I did my stereo...bracket now covered in rubber..but doesn't even rub...I had several thousand miles on the bike at upgrade..

#83 ·
So after dealer called moco, they said they never heard of it. Thanks to this awesome forum I gave my dealer the part number for the rubber trim piece they started using in 2011 he checked it out and said if moco came up with a fix I'm putting it on your bike! Ordered the trim piece and they installed it. Under warranty and trimmed up stock bracket and jb welded fairing (wasn't worn through yet) and saud if it happens still he will warranty fairing.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#84 ·
I'd say your dealer is a keeper for sure! Sounds like someone who cares and respects their customers.

#86 ·
Don't chop them off completely the fairing needs that pressure to keep it from rattling around! Just cut it down a little and use some JB weld to fill in the holes and I put some plastic pieces intended to cover the inside of a hole that has been cut to prevent wires from chafing, a chafe guard for wiring?? No wear since!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.