Road Glide banner

What is your favorite Motorcycle Road?

9K views 53 replies 41 participants last post by  FLSTFI Dave 
#1 ·
I don't mean the 11 mile stretch of the Dragon or that sort or ride, I mean long range like what our bikes are made for. I'm fortunate in that I live close to some very good if not best roads for bikers in my part of the world and have been on many of them.

I nominate the Skyline Drive -Blue Ridge Parkway -Cherohala Skyway continuum. It starts at Front Royal in Northern VA, passing through North Carolina, ending in Tellico Plains TN totaling over 600 miles of the nicest scenery and curvy roads on the East Coast.

I'm sure there are lots, I'd like to hear about some others so I can start planning which one to choose next.​

#39 ·
Mine will have to be the trip from my house in sw kansas to SWII in Iowa. My first big road trip on my own bike.
On the back of my husbands bike (before I even considered taking a motorcycle class let alone ride my own bike on long trips) will have to be the million dollar hwy in Colorado.

#41 · (Edited)
To me any and every road I'm riding is a great one...

Mackeinze River crossing to Yellowknife, 191 from the Mexican border to the Canadian border, Haines to Whitehorse, 2 across Washington, Idaho, Montana..., Ft. St John - Prince George - Osoyoos (through Lilloet), Pacific Coast, interior BC (actually pretty much anywhere in BC lol), Grand Prairie through Grand Cache to Hinton, ...

That's off the top of my head and doesn't include the ones I've yet to ride. :D

Ride Happy!

Stephen

Edit: I also agree with what's been said - the road between here and there.

#45 ·
Any of the southern Sierra pass roads......Carson pass, Ebbetts Pass, Sonora pass, Tioga pass.
Not a big fan of PCH in So Cal. too much traffic, too many traffic lights.
Nor Cal is a different animal, love it!

#47 ·
+1 on that! 50/550 from Montrose to Uray, then down to Silverton and Durango. I lived on the front range of Colorado for about 7 years and thought I'd died and gone to heaven riding the many passes, Rocky Mt. National Park (up the front and down the backside). Peak to Peak Highway and many others. Then one day my buddy and I rode to Grand Junction and then the route described above. The ride to, around, and away from Ouray was spectacular. Much more dramatic than anything on the front range in my mind.

My other favorite ride is the road from Greenville, Maine to Jackman then down around Rangeley Lake and to most any of the notch roads through the White Mts. of NH. , including Grafton Notch, Evans Notch, and the Kancamagus Highway. Outstanding in the summer, spectacular in late Sept. with the foliage ablaze. Shit, I just realized it'll be another 6 months before I can ride ANY of those roads .... come on global warming!

#49 ·
My top 7 in no particular order:

Tx hwy 170 between Presideo and Terlingua.

US 12 between Lewiston and Missoula.

Utah 128 from I-70 at Cicso south to Moab.

US 212, Beartooth Pass.

US 95 between Blanding and Hanksville, Utah.

Pacific Coast Highway from anywhere north of California southbound past Big Sur. (unobstructed views going south).

Oregon hwy's 86 and 82 through Hell's Canyon. Between Baker City and Enterprise. 100 miles of litter free roadway with light traffic and spectacular vistas. Like the Dragon, only longer, cleaner and less traveled.

#51 ·
I nominate the Streets of Manhattan in New York, where every taxi cab is looking to run you off the road, Bicyclist and pedestrians are always in your way..and Horse drawn carriages and Pedicabs are a nuisance.. its an adventure getting from downtown to 56th street (upper midtown) in the Middle of Rush hour (either morning or afternoon rush hour!)
Bruuuu huuu hahahahahaha :eek:

#53 ·
There's lots of great rides in western Canada we live close to the Rocky Mountains. So a great sunday ride is through Kananaskis country Hwy 40 west of Calgary. Sometimes we go N to S or S to N it's 400km round trip from my place (216 miles). For a longer trip we take Hwy 1 west through Banff to Hwy 93 south to Hwy 3 through the Crowsnest Pass. Then depending the time to Hwy 22 north or hwy 2 north maybe even hwy 23 & 24. It's about 900 to 1000km (480 to 540 miles). Both good rides lots of twisties and views.

#54 ·
US 129 is a nice road, not just the dragon but down thru NC and GA too, some great curves in GA:D

HWY 68 in TN and GA is good too.

Lots of good roads in East TN.

However, I have yet to ride a road I like better than Red Lodge MT to Cody WY which is Bear tooth pass and chief joseph hwy. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.