Road Glide banner

Stock Bars Vs. Heritage Bars

17K views 20 replies 20 participants last post by  rarbour 
#1 ·
I have put 700 miles on my FLTRX and talk about stretching!!! It seems that when Harley switched to the 6 gal tank they didn't take into account that it moved us back some in the seat. My lower back was stiff from my having to straight arm the bars. I am going to put the heritage bars on and wondered if others did this and are satisfied.

#4 ·
Same here! (except different year)

#5 ·
I will say try to ride a bike with them first. You either love them or hate them. They don't work for me because of the wrist angle, if not they would have been perfect.

Looking into the reduced reach bars myself now, but haven't held a set yet......

#8 ·
6'2" with 34" inseam sitting on an take-off HD Ultra seat:

I need more rise plus the wrist angle is turned-in way too much for me. I have to squash my elbows into my sides to take the pressure off of my twisted wrists.

#13 ·
I replaced the stock bars with these as well. Same pains every one else has with stock bars. I wonder if they came stock with such a reach to get you up closer to the wind shield. Maybe to help with the buffeting these bikes are known for. Any way, real happy ever since the switch.

#11 ·
Jumped through the hoops, this morning and put a set of Harley Heritage bars on my 2011 RGU. The parts guy at the dealer said they are 3" up and 2" back of the stock bars (which were hurting my shoulder after only 20 or 30 miles) - What a difference! I've only put a few miles on it so far, but can already tell that it's a huge improvement.

Fairly easy install, the hardest part was having to hang the outer faring back on the hooks and do it blind. I used a length of stout picture hanging wire to thread the TBW harness back through the new bars and it worked well.

A big thank you to everyone who has posted their experiences on this forum. Thanks to a couple of excellent write-ups, I knew exactly where the snake pits were and how to avoid them....

Reactions: rarbour
#12 ·
I'm 6'2" and I have 14" monkey bar apes, they are about perfect for me. I didnt like how the heritage bar was turned. I also HATE the 2015 bars... feels like you're riding a bicycle.

#15 ·
I put them on my 2013 ,and pulled them all the way back but left just enough clearance not to hit console!!! No more shoulder pinching pain !
Same here. Worth the money and I have no wrist issues with them.

#16 ·
I have put Heritage bars on my 12' FLTRU, I'm 6'1" and I'm very happy with these bars. The best result is on a 500 mile day my lower back does not get sore. Before about 200 miles into a ride my lower back would start to hurt, not anymore... longest one day ride after the new bars was about 650 miles ... Deadwood to Salt Lake.

#20 ·
When I got my '13 RGC I thought the stock bars were fine, didn't seem to be any problems at all. I'm 6' tall. And as long as I was riding twisties or around town where I had lots of arm movements the bars were good. But...., first time I was on the slab for an hour with very little arm movement my arms and shoulders were aching like crazy. Went to the Heritage style bars and they fixed the problem. Have done a couple of 600 mile days mostly on the slab and no aches or pains whatsoever.

#21 ·
Hi folks, great posts. I have a 15 RK second owner In Toronto Ontario. Last winter while in Florida I bought 13" Apes after reading a lot of different reviews. Well got them home and getting ready to swap them out but found out I already had 13" installed, dhoh... the bars I have place my hands about 4 " below my shoulders. I want to bring them up to level. I am 6' and have a spring loaded Police seat installed. Long story short is can someone clarify the Heritage bars for me. If I search Heritage there is soooo many to choose from... thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.