Road Glide banner

Proposed Shark Week in Maine, part 2

43K views 323 replies 97 participants last post by  reficul 
#1 · (Edited)
A couple weeks ago I had posted a thread to try to gauge the level of interest that the membership would have in attending a Shark Week in Maine/NH. This thread isn't about what has to be done to host SW4 in Maine or how it needs to be presented. We simply are trying to gauge the level of interest of the membership in attending an event in the White Mountains of Maine and New Hampshire.

We can promise:

- excellent mountainside lodging options at a reasonable rate (for New England in the summer time)

- extraordinary mountain views everywhere you look and opportunities to take a chairlift or gondola to the top of one of the area's major ski areas. Or for the more adventurous, take a zip line ride part way down the mountain

- roads to ride that will leave you breathless and will make you think about "calling in sick" and extending your vacation time here

- a day ride that will include a trip up the world famous Mt. Washington Auto Road for those who aren't faint of heart. Here's a sample: http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...=hT0YzS_sV6w&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13525622313414

- a day ride through the Lakes Region that's host to the oldest motorcycle rally in the U.S. - Laconia

- and an opportunity for you to enjoy some of Maines best seafood and lobster along with some wonderful craft beers

Please give us your thoughts as to whether you'd be interested in doing this as a National Shark Week Rally. Thanks in advance for your input.

See less See more
#39 ·
As I've said before, doesn't really matter where it is, if I can make the arrangements, I'll be there. Further away just means more of an adventure. :D As far as a North Carolina Shark Week, I still feel that I'd need some serious assistance and/or leadership from someone closer to the target area. I'm just too far away to do it right, so I'm officially calling out anyone on the western end of the state that may have an interest. Be it for next year or further in the future. Rest assured that we can make it happen at some point but may not have things in place for a 2013 proposal. My hats off to anyone that has the chops to pull one of though. It's obviously a lot of work. Look forward to Utah and future Shark Weeks.

#40 ·
2004 road glide

I would attend I just would like to put out there in June there is rally in lake geoarge called americade we go every year for the past 6 years. It might save some miles for some and a much more peaceful event then laconia and the rides are great in the adirondacks. The best hockey game ever was played in lake placid

#51 ·
Count me in for the Northeast area.

My issue with some of the rallies is not the distance to get there, it is the time off from work needed to get there. Once (if) retirement comes though, no excuses for me...:D

#52 ·
Andyman - you said, "The Red Socks were playing TB in the ALCS while I was up there and I gotta tell ya, you people are NUTS about your baseball! You'd think it was football or something LMAO."

I guess you need to be here in the fall some year. We're just as crazy about our Patriots! I had the priviledge of attending the Pats/Jets overtime game a couple weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed that one.

If for some reason they decide to go in a different direction for 2014, we're committed to hold an event here in 2014, even as a "regional rally". That was suggested by one or two of the admins on here. I'd rather not do that because it think it will bleed off some attendance from the National event for that year, but that's what was suggested, so we're moving ahead with plans to host some form of event here whether it be the National Rally or a regional rally. Hope you can make it.

In the mean time I hope a lot of members will do their best to attend the Utah rally as that's a great area to hold an event. Gorgeous in a dessert and rock formation sort of way. I'd love to go myself buy can't do it in one week and it's virtually impossible for me to get more than one week off at a time. My loss.

#56 ·
I am so glad to see such an interest:) we are getting together ThaksGiven weekend to checks location and amenities at the ski resort, talk about catering including lobster :) I can't wait for spring to do some riding on routs and stops. We will be ready for SWIII presentation:) for the folks that never been in Maine I can say that you are going to enjoy the experience, the rides and the people. Ok so the great beer and fresh Lobster.:)

#58 ·
"If the interest level isn't high enough we'll likely do it anyway, as a regional rally."

I am DEFINITELY in! I'm from Rhode Island and LOVE New Hampshire and Maine. Let's make it happen!

#71 · (Edited)
Sunday-river for the central location and access to NH and Maine mountains, also has great facilities. Sugarloaf is also a candidate for facilities and restaurants but is more distance. I have the phone# for big groups reservations and will call tomorrow for more info. They ask today if I was with the Euro or Harley group, no, I told them we are with the Sharks, she was confused and I had to explain :D Hog and Euro bike rally's are hosted in SundayRiver:)
In the spring we are going to post a get together to ride routes, find stops etc. and after SWIII will know if it is SWIV or regional rally and the real work starts calling sponsors, T-shirts, others and do preparations. We will need all the help we can get then, unless something comes out. :)

#79 ·
Maine Baby!!

NorthWoodsMAINE,

You know you can count me in!! It would be really cool if the date were close to the NH Boogie and Blues Festival!
Awesome scenery and Mt Washington is incredible!
Those that haven't ridden up here are in for a treat for sure!
-ST

Near Franconia Notch

#103 ·
NorthWoodsMAINE,

You know you can count me in!! It would be really cool if the date were close to the NH Boogie and Blues Festival!
Awesome scenery and Mt Washington is incredible!
Those that haven't ridden up here are in for a treat for sure!
-ST

Near Franconia Notch
I'm in,
Bentons (where the NH Boogie and Blues Festival is would be a great place) There is also a place in Lincoln (the Beacon) that we do a get together for another site, that has rooms, restaurant, a place for bands, and is very motorcycle friendly
Let me know if there is anything I can do to help

#83 ·
Thanks Gman "just the facts man"
I can't wait, new TW555 cam and SE compensator in Stormy will flatten the hills and UP the fun factor too!!!! Looking forward to meeting more toothy riders in 2013 but can't make SW in Utah had already planned Milwaukee 110th!
-ST

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.