Road Glide banner

No More Wellnuts!

9K views 32 replies 26 participants last post by  Bubba FLTR 
#1 ·
I've been a lurker here for a couple months now just reading and learning. I thought it was about time to make a contribution of my own in the hopes of helping someone else. I've read a few posts about the dreaded well nuts and how some people, including myself, just don't like them. I've spent countless hours looking for something better with no luck. Then I thought, wait a minute, I design trailers, this can't be that hard. I wanted this to be something that anyone with basic tools could probably make themselves without spending a lot of case. After a couple different ideas, this is what I came up with.

Here is a link to the write up I did with pictures in PDF format. Download it if you wish.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B_9uzWqzwvC9aDNyV2pGY245ZVU

Feel free to try this out and share with others.

Bubba FLTR
2008 Road Glide

#3 ·
Hey Bubba that is an awesome idea. I would Patten that asap before ya know it hd will take the idea from ya. I ha e a couple of questions one is is there sort of isolator between the windshield and the top of the bolt ? What is the thickness to the top of the head of the bolt that would make the shield just as close as with the well nuts?

#6 ·
Anyway of posting the pics and write up in a post for those who don't have google accounts

#13 ·
Thanks guys. I appeciate the nice compliments. To answer some more of the questions, the heads on the bolts I used are only .100 thick. The rubber for the windshield trim I took off was thicker. You could use a thicker head if you want to space your shield out and leave an air gap. As for rubber washers, Bill H got it right. I just use some large diamter thin rubber ones from Home Depot.

As for patenting this, I thought about it, but I've learned so much from reading posts here I thought it would be better to just give the idea to you guys in the hopes it helps someone else.

i the link to the write up does not require a Google account, but if you have trouble getting to it I will gladly email you the writeup.

Thanks again. It feels good to swim with the sharks!

#25 ·
As for patenting this, I thought about it, but I've learned so much from reading posts here I thought it would be better to just give the idea to you guys in the hopes it helps someone else.
you can still give the plans away, but i would patent it anyway. if you don't someone else will and will be making money off of your idea, and before you know it, they'll be sending you a cease and desist letter making you stop making your own....

think it won't happen? look at what happened with diamond heads. and that was just a 'process' not even an actual item.

#16 ·
I'm one of the rare breed who actually doesn't have a problem with the stock HD well nuts ... but that's a pretty slick idea. Of all the well nut "solutions" I've seen, yours is the only one I'd consider. Pretty sure you could make some money by fab'ing up a bunch and selling them.

#26 ·
Yeah I would just patent it and put your name on it. After I saw that movie with the whole wiper idea being stolen by the big 3.....that just tells me put your name on the idea and you decide who gets to have it. Like HD should be charged for it, then they'll raise the price of the bikes another 2,000 for the mounting style upgrade.

#28 ·
Ok bubba, where do I find those flat head fasteners? Been looking for them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.