Road Glide banner

Yikes!!! The Dragon Bites Back!

11K views 67 replies 46 participants last post by  fossil mel 
#1 ·
#48 ·
Yeah, he really got it bad. It's his 2nd serious accident in the last year, and this one wasn't from him pushing himself... it was from the mess leftover from this guy's accident.

Also, I set my preferences in my User CP to 40 posts per page cuz I hate having to go through a million pages on a long thread. So for me, that's still page 1. :D

#49 ·
No telling what speed the rider was going but it looks like the 'vette kept him from going into the trees.

I'm not so sure those photogs should be out there. They're a distraction, plain and simple. If you notice them you're going to look. You may even try to read their sign to know where to find the pics. I've been guilty of hot dogging for this schmoe on the Dragon and for the TxMotoFoto dude on the 3 Sisters. It's crazy to do so and I know it, but I'll admit waving or kicking up a leg.

Stupid stupid stupid.

#50 ·
I have zero desire to ever ride The Dragon. And it has nothing to do with me or my abilities. It is morons like this and the show-boaters that ride beyond their ability that keep me away. There are plenty of less traveled roads that would be just as fund to ride.

#51 ·
We have a road like that. MO-94 between I-64 and MO-47 is one of THE best roads to ride in Missouri. It goes thru two Conservation Areas, has dueling Biker Bars (the good kinds, not the ones with blood all over the floor) across the street from each other in Defiance, runs thru Missouri Wine Country, sweeping curves, good hills, does a bit of Ridge Running, just a great ride. Problem is, all the Wino's. All to often there are more than a few folks who have sampled a bit too much at the Wineries. There are a bunch along the route. Nothing worse than a curvy road and cages (or bikes for that matter) who have had a bit too much wine. You see a few white crosses along the route as well.

If you are ever in the area, ride it during the week, avoid it on weekends.

#52 ·
A good point has been made in this thread about riding on nice twisty roads that are very popular. Good thing there are many such roads across this great country, so we can all lessen our odds of encountering someone riding beyond their abilities.

You simply have to practice the perishable skills if you expect them to become second nature.

#53 ·
oh man that looks so bad hope the guy is okay. they should have a warning on that road about crapping yourself if you crash from riding like that.

WARNING! CRAPPY RIDING = CRAPPY PANTS!

if i ever make it to that road i hope i do better than he did.

#56 ·
I learned that in my MSF Rider Class as well.

See the pothole,
Stare at the pothole,
Hit the pothole.

See the pothole,
Look ahead for the path around it,
Avoid the pothole.

If you read the post, somewhere in the middle, it said both the rider and driver walked away, it was the rider behind, who hit the debris, that ended up clinging to life in critical condition.

#58 ·
I recon its Frame 8 he starts to realize he should be concentrating on the road a bit more than he’s doing. Frame 11 the OH phuck! Factors kicking in and is first mistake (looking at the car and not where he needs to put the bike), from there its all down hit. Hope was Ok.

#60 ·
I have rode the Dragon many times, its just 75 miles from the house:).

These pictures prove you go where you look.

Its not a hard road to ride. You just have to watch the road, and look where you want to go.

The first ride I took on my 12 CVO Road glide was the Foot hills parkway to the Dragon. This was the day I got the bike, took the ride leaving the dealership.

Wednesday I pick up my 13 CVO Anniversary color King. Will head out of the dealer up 321 to foot hills parkway, to 129 the Dragon to Robbinsville NC, then down to Murphy NC, to 64 along the Ocoee to home, about 230 mile ride home from the dealer.:D I good way to start the break in, lots of varying RPM and no constant speeds.

#62 ·
It looks like....

....by picture #9 he starts to realize the error of his ways but it's not until picture #17 that he starts to apply the brakes and by picture #18 he's soiled himself.
I feel sorry for the guy in the Corvette! (Not something I would normally say!) but this poor bastard was just out for a nice ride on a warm fall day. Minding his own business and BLAM!!!! some duchebag who can't handle his Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, whatever ruins his weekend too!
Remember what a once wise man said; "A mans got to know his limitations."
(I say once wise man only because Clint Eastwood is now making commercials for Mitt Romney. But that's a completely different thread!)

HSP

#65 ·
the good .......... it was a metric
the bad ............ it was a Vette
the ugly ........... looking toward & waving for the camera is rarely the way to enter a curve

.... (I say once wise man only because Clint Eastwood is now making commercials for Mitt Romney.)
..... that 'empty chair' thing .......... brilliant !

#63 ·
I came around a corner down there (completely in control) only to find a large black bear in my lane! For one thing I think my pipes scared him off. He also knew it's not nice to mess with Harley Davidson.

#67 ·
Looks to me like he was doing some serious chassis bashing which then led him to straighten the bike up and then target fixation did him in. I think by #11 he's in full panic mode - no visible brake dive going on. I wonder if he panicked and didn't even touch the binders ...hard to tell. I've seen more than a few You-Tube videos of crashes on that road and have no great desire to run it. Too many squids and pretenders.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.