Road Glide banner

HID help!

5K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  EasternSP 
#1 ·
Just installed the Xenon Link H4(9003, HB2) Hi/Lo 5000K HID Kit.

Took the bike out for a short spin at night. Got flashed by one of the two cars I passed. Then, I switched to the "high beam" and they shot lower than the low beam. The high beams are for sure not as bright as the low beam.

Anyone able to shoot back some quick advice?

#2 ·
Any chance the wires were somehow reversed causing low to be high and vice versa???

Not familiar with your HIDs so just tossing it out there.

Good luck

#4 ·
I haven't yet, no.

What I did do though is turn the bulb 180 degrees in the housing. This corrected the problem of the lights shining too high. However, now they appear too low and have a weird/undesirable pattern on the road out in front of the bike.

So, maybe I'll do some adjusting.

Or, maybe I'll just switch back to the Halogen lights.

I gotta be honest, I'm a bit spent after hours and hours of reading different threads about HID lights and feeling like I'm getting no where....except more confused. Too many opinions and too many options.

Another reason not to stick with the HID is because its' causing poor/no reception with my FM radio.

The new daymaker LED from Harley sounds nice as far as performance goes but, MAN, that is one UUUUUUGLY freakin light(s).

#6 ·
It sounds like the terminals in the connectors are backwards. Does the bulb have a shield on half of it? If so, it needs to remain shield-side down. You may just need to adjust your headlight aim. It can be done with the fairing on, though the holes in the fairing, in front of your forks.

And before you consider the Daymakers... give Holeshot a try... HD has enough money, but they could care less if youre happy or not.

#7 ·
Hi
I got the HID lights and are bight! I align my lights with the screws on the faring in my garage. Look at your manual at the distance and correct hight the lights should be and adjust. They are bright and I notice that the high beam is spread patern and the lows are straight. I can see everything in front including animals on the woods. The HD LEDs are nice and very effective but if one of the LEDs burn there is no replacement for one LED light, you have to buy the hole setup again an are expensive (by my local HD dealer). The HIDs are replaceable and more affordable. Good luck :)

#9 · (Edited)
Sorry Dmize for been late with the link for my setup but here it is

http://www.motorcyclelightbulbs.net/harley-davidson-bulbs-harley-road-glide-light-bulbs-c-71_137

The set can be install easy, is plug and play ,just have to install the ballast in the fearing. They are bright!! And all the parts are replaceable if something goes wrong. I hope you can open the link :)
There is other cheaper models out there but I did research and I wanted a good quality for Big Bertha (that's what my wife calls her):)

#11 ·
They are REAL Bright, they can see you! day or night. I live in the woods in Maine with many moose and deer, Low beam are straight and far and high beam spreads the patern and you can see sides and all. I had BMWs with HID but these are brighter. The picture would show a real bright ass light, there is cheaper out there but Philips German made are rated as top of the line. Good luck deciding.

#17 ·
I always use the HID for highbeam and the highbeam setting of the switch for low beam. I also have the driving lights set up so they are on with the HIDs. If someone ever claims that they didn't see me, I would chase their seeing eye dog away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.