Road Glide banner

Is "true dual" in the header?

4K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  rageglide 
#1 ·
Probably my stupid question for the 2012 calendar year:
I see Fuel Moto and others make a "header" for true dual performance.
Does that mean I can keep my VH Monster Oval "mufflers"?
Educate me -- thnx, DOOF

#3 · (Edited)
Indeed, "true dual" is a term used for headers. Now, in case you wanted some casual reading (I'm bored)...

A real set of "true duals" has one individual pipe for each cylinder and those two pipes are totally isolated all the way to their own dedicated muffler. Some of us ol'pharts really like that old-time sound (or as close as we can come to it these days anyway).

Fuel-Moto (and other manufacturers including stock HD) use what's often called a 2/1/2 approach... two pipes at first but are cross-connected somewhere near the half-way point and then split back out into two different pipes for delivery to the mufflers.

This approach improves torque/performance but might not provide quite as much of a true dual sound as a set of real true duals does (pretty hard to tell the difference but if someone is really picky, well...)

Both of these "dual" types most often work with the stock or an aftermarket set of mufflers. IIRC, Some manufacturers used to mandate a specific set of mufflers (probably theirs) but not many do and they'll tell you if they do (want you to buy their mufflers).

Finally, there are the 2:1 type head-pipes and they are obviously not part of your question so no more casual reading :)

#5 ·
That summed it up very well. I would add that true duals will sometimes cause a dip in the torque curve between 2,000 to 3,000 rpm range that can be hard to eliminate when tuning. This may not occur, depending on your engine combo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.