Road Glide banner

Yaffe stretched tank

29K views 185 replies 26 participants last post by  PoPaSiCkBoY 
#1 ·
Just received my Paul Yaffe stretched tank. Quality and price are great. Cant wait to paint and install :)

Attachments

See less See more
#35 ·
Save yourself some money I bought the demon cycles stretched tank it is identical to the yaffee tank but cost only $479.99 with free shipping pair it with the Danny Gray seat for the Yaffee tank and your in business.
You know, I saw that tank on Demon Cycles. I didn't go with it because of all the negative feed back that I have seen online with that company. Glad you had good results! Lets see some pics of your tank

#41 ·
I was wondering about Danny grey, 14" is good for the wifes big ass. :D
You get this damn tank painted and on yet??? Your killing me buddy.....I'm torn on what to do for a tank, still

As for Danny Grey, I can only comment on his seats. Which are kick ass, I have the 2up weekday XL and I have no complains from mama on the back

#49 ·
Wha wha wha wa wa wha wha wa. That's me and RR with our charlie brown shirts learning the teacher. LOL get off my thread its a mess now! Aren't you supposed to taking pictures of testicals and low level lighting with f4 aperture or something?

#75 ·
Reficul, I just noticed you got this tank more than two months ago :eek:

before all these trouble makers came and made a mess of your thread :rolleyes:

Your painter see this tank yet, any idea on the prep/body work needed, did you ever get it sealed, etc. I keep looking at tanks and tank skins (daily) and have yet to find something that I have to have, these Yaffe tanks can be had pretty cheap, if it doesn't cost twice the amount of the tank to get it into color, that would piss me off

#76 ·
^^^ I would like to see those two tanks together to compare. If they truly are the same people can save a lot of cash! ^^^ You guys destroyed my way cool Gas tank thread with your Homosexual tendencies WTF. Gonna work on tank,wheel, fender, trees , and other crap on saturday.

I was thinking about not even sealing inside of tank. My chopper isn't coated and I have had no problems. IDK I will pressure test it though.

oh yeah one more thing you guys are still sausage smugglers! Get it, Get it? :eek:

#90 ·
Mounted the Yaffe tank. Attempted to cut down a brand new La Pera Maverick seat to fit the stretched tank. La Pera wanted to re skin the whole thing and charge 400 bucks. I paid 500 for it. So I played Dr. Reficul. :cool:

I started by drilling out the rivets on the back. Pealed cover and foam back like an onion.

Attachments

#183 ·
I know this was from a few months back but I must say Lepera pissed me off. I bought 2 of there seats from Dennis Kirk a Silhouette and a Daytona 2-up. I had the Silhouette on for maybe 3 weeks and put a couple hundred miles on the bike. I pulled the seat to see how the Bad Dad rear fender cover fit and saw a 3/4 slice in the vinyl on the left corner of the seat where it comes in contact with the dash. Upon inspecting the slice it was apparent that there where sharp tabs of metal from the manufacturing process left untreated which caused the slice. I contacted Lepera and explained the situation and was asked to send them pictures of the problem area. I sent them 3 pictures and got a call back about an hour ago. Crystal one of the customer service reps said that the seat was dropped and that I would be charged a $120 fee to have it recovered. I explained to her that the seat was never dropped and was in perfect condition when I received and installed it. She argued that all of there seat pans where made from steel and where powder coated and that the pictures I sent showed bare steel and that the powder coating chipped off when the seat was dropped! Then she said maybe a rock hit it while I was driving the bike.

I'm a machinist for a living and also refinish firearms and work with cerakote and powder coating on a weekly basis and explained that dropping a powder coated part does not knock all of the powder coating off!! After pretty much arguing with her for 10 minutes she agreed to send the seat back in and they would inspect it and *IF* the deemed it was an issue on there end they would cover the repair / replacement.

I was about to package the seat up and hope for the best when I figured a call the Dennis Kirk was in order. I explained the situation to them and they said no problem sent the seat back and we will refund your purchase price and ship you replacement right out.

#91 ·
Next I took out the trusty cut off wheel and went to town cutting the snout off it. I first cut about 2 1/2" off to get a general idea where it would sit. I then test fit the seat and started cutting off about a 1/4" at a time so I didn't over cut the pan and make it too short. I wasn't about to start Tig welding pieces back on! So after test fitting and slappin seat around a bit I cut off about another 1" total and trimmed the sides to make a nice round edge. I am new to messing with seats and foam and vinyl so I am not gonna lie. I was worried about trashing a 500 dollar seat! :eek: Like any good plastic surgeon its all in the cut LOL

Attachments

#92 ·
So after messing with fit, shaving some foam and stretching the cover a bit I came up with this. Its not perfect, there is a little gap thats killing me but I will try to tighten it up when I get the dash back from Hydrocoating I am gonna need a little bit of foam I think. More Botox!! :)

Attachments

#93 ·
There is one issue that I have come across. My legs are not exactly skinny I am 305 lbs. not fat and good looking I might add. My legs ride on top of the stretched part and when I put my feet down it is a wide area to straddle around. Its not bad but a little uncomfortable. With my feet on the boards my thighs still touch the tank though not uncomfortably. I think I might have to put some clear vinyl to protect the paint from my jeans. The tank looks great though. Just wanted to give a heads up to the big boys out there. :)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.