Rain gear?? - Page 5 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Additional Related Discussions > Clothing

Clothing You can post reviews and suggestions about riding clothing, boots, jackets and pants here.

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 03-28-2012, 01:38 PM

I wear the HD rain gear..there are other brands that are as good but I didn't want to go through the trial and error to find the ones that would keep you dry. To me, rain gear is not where I will skimp on saving money. When I am out riding and have to ride when it is raining I want my gear to keep me dry and the HD rain gear does just that. Been in some really heavy storms and never had a leak. My brother went the Frogg Togg route and rode around with the seat of his pants wet as well as buring a hole in the leg becuase some of their models do not have a heat shield built in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2012, 07:29 PM
Hangaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRRRMM View Post
+1 Had mine for 5 yrs still do an excellent job. Only downside is that some of the reflective decal on the back came off on another part of the jacket when I had them rolled up over the winter. I now unroll and let breath in the winter and pack em up when riding season arrives.
RoB
+2 had mine for three years been in some ugly rain to lol. Never been wet under my suit though.....(H D Overpass suit)
Old 04-09-2012, 11:52 PM

The wife and I rode from Ft Collins, Co to Custer SD in sept last year. Rained off and on the whole day and temps were around 40deg. You could see your breath most the day when we were stopped. Our HD rain gear kept us dry and about as comfortable as one could be on a day like that.

Frog Toggs are great for getting you home from across town in a sprinkle so long as its a real light rain and your not going real fast. When your out on the road and it wet, quality rain gear made for motorcycling is the only thing to have.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:54 AM
Life Member

I wanted the HD Overpass set but HD quit making it. Found a HD 360 set in black at a good price. Have not used them yet but they look very well made.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:26 AM

+2 or +3 not sure how many. I've had mine 4 years and don't forget if it
suddenly gets really cold you can use 'em to keep you warm.

Oh! one other thing, if you don't take 'em it'll rain for sure!!!!!
-ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodad View Post
Remember you get what you pay for. Lots of cheap options out there and many expensive ones. My riding buddies have gone cheap and middle of the road in choices. I bought the HD offerings. They were a bit pricey but the features such as liner, velcro over the zippers all the way up and down, the way they unzip and open up to make it easy to put on.

Keep in mind how easy or hard it is going to be to put on your rain gear while on the side of the interstate under an over pass in the pouring rain. And then after when the rain stops and you want to take it off. Usually you'll be leaving your riding boots on so your pants will need to pull over them easily as well.

So far my suit has kept me dry and have worn for many, many miles in the rain. More than I care to remember. hahaha

Don't go cheap.....it aint worth it.
Hope this helps
Old 04-10-2012, 07:51 AM
Grey beard

I used a set of Frogg Toggs for about 4 years with good results in all kinds of rain from light to gullywasher, but they wore out after that. I now have the HD Hi-Viz and have not had any real chance to test it yet. Hopefully thr trip to Thunder beach will give me no chancce to test it. <knock on wood>
A full face helmet of 3/4 helmet with faceshield also helps a lot keeping the rain out as well as waterproof gloves up over your cuffs.

Last edited by TLWiz; 04-11-2012 at 06:05 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:43 PM
Prospect

I really wanted to get the HD set ... don't know the name but it's grey and orange. One area dealer has it at $185.00 and another at $215.00. I realize you get what you pay for but I could not justify that kind of money for a rainsuit.

In the first place, I will not be doing any extended riding in the rain unless it is a dire emergency. I'm pulling over or going under an overpass and going into my saddlebag for a cigar, and chillin' until it passes. I ride for enjoyment and I consider rain to be an increased risk factor, impacting my enjoyment. If it is not looking like the rain is going to pass for a while, I'm headed to a restaurant or getting a room. So with that in mind, I bought a new River Road Tempest rainsuit last weekend for $80.00 Looks great and well designed, but haven't used it yet. It would truly have to be an exceptional circumstance for me to be on my scoot expecting to ride through a significant rain for 2-3 hours or more.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:55 PM

Momma and I have HD Hi Vis suits. We look like the great pumpkin meets SOA!I think it was one of my better choices as far as bike gear goes.

Nothing makes me feel better than when I check on Momma when cranking down the highway at a steady 65 thru a big time thunderstorm. I ask her how she is doing, and she replies just fine. I ask her if we need to get off the road and she says not unless I want to.

If a rain suit can make my wife that comfortable in the middle of a heavy thunderstorm, then it is worth every penny.

The Hi Vis suit is also heavy enough to take the sting out rain at 65 and will even reduce the ouchies from small hail! (don't ask me how I know this...)

The only negative is that it doesn't fold up very small.
2011 FLTRU Because Momma wants me to be happy and because we all know deep down in our hearts that black bikes are faster! Thundermax TBW with Tman 555 tq cams, Drago's Dragula 2:1 exhaust and a Big Sucker. Lowered 1" with Progressive Monotubes and Ohlin 3-3s. SG rear facia, BAL-1, Daymakers, Diamond Plate Collection, 16" Madstad, J&M Rokkers with Bazooka 200.4 amp, Lenale fan, Harley Road Zepplin, 12" Wild Ones Chubby Outlawz and a G-Max 205-55-16 rear tire.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:36 PM
Life Member

be careful with Frog Toggs. They do not have heat shield and will melt against exhaust. I went with HD gear. $139 and worth the money.

87hp 101tq
Contrast Chrome Agitators 19/18
Baggershield
Harley Hammock-Adj.Back Rest
King Tour Pac-Air Wing Rack(black)-Smoked LED-4 Pt.Dock-Black Latches & Hinges
Custom Dynamics LED's & Plazma Rods smoked front & rear with Magic Strobe
J&M 250w Fairing + Lower Rokkers
Saddlebag Bra
Hidden Multi-Color LEDs
Jagg Fan Assisted Oil Cooler
Kuryakyn Passenger detach. ArmRest & adj. pegs

Old 04-15-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyB View Post
In my opinion, the best ones I have found. HD Overpass 98059-11VM
Ive had em for a few years and have no complaints whatsoever.

I've had this one for six years... Only complaint is the zippers on the pockets have either broken or fallen completely off. Not sure why. I've been lucky and the suit has spent more time in the saddle bag than in use. It did work well when I did use it.

Just got two new Frog Togg Road Toad suits for the wife and I. I'm a little worried after reading some of y'alls reviews.