When to change oil? - Page 3 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures

*General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures Post general Road Glide discussions with photos.

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 03-28-2012, 09:33 AM
Life Member

Given the formulation of today's synthetic oils I adhere to the manufacturer's recommendation of a 5k interval.
If someone finds comfort in an accelerated frequency, that's between them and their wallet. I can find other, more useful, places to throw money.

Sampling oil to determine if there is a noticeable difference between a 3k and 5k replacement interval sounds like OCD... to me, anyway.

You imagine me sipping champagne from your boot for a taste of your elegant pride.
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe... but at least I'm enjoying the ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2012, 09:35 AM
Life Member

When I ran HD dino every 3000. Now I run Redline syn. it's every 5000.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:46 PM
Grey beard

There's absolutely no reason to not go 5k miles if you're using synthetic oil. Realisticly, you could go longer without any issues.

Let me put it this way: Have you ever heard of anyone with an H-D TC motor that had a motor failure because the oil 'failed'? I haven't. Leaked out maybe, but synthetic oils can handle high temps better than dino oil so your oil is just not going to break down in 5k miles.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:20 PM
Grey beard

I just follow the schedule in the manual. I had my initial 1000 mile service at 1000 miles and now I'm getting ready to do the 5000 mile service per the manual. Simple enough for simple me.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:51 PM

This definitely comes down to peace of mind. Sure the synthetic oils can be changed at extended intervals but we have found that for *most of the bikes we service*, changing the oil at 2,500 or 3,000 versus 5,000 mile intervals only adds 1 more oil change a year. It is funny because every synthetic convert asks about intervals and we tell them that 5k is fine but they still tend to keep it closer to 3k...I think the Texas heat has more of an effect on customers heads than the oil....

Cheers,

Trent
Old 03-31-2012, 11:43 AM
Life Member

I'm running amsoil oil/filter and I'm going to take their change recommendation and try to run it to 10k before changing. I'll have an analysis done to see how things faired and determine from there what I do.

'12 Candy Colbalt Twilight Blue FLTRXSE
http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?t=135593
Old 04-01-2012, 08:27 AM
Administrator

I'm anal about my oil , and my motor , and do an analysis at every oil change ..

I have them posted here

http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?t=12882

JtB
Old 04-01-2012, 12:13 PM
Prospect

Harley has even said 10,000 on syn 3 I believe seeing a bulletin on this???
Old 04-01-2012, 02:27 PM
Shark of the Month October 13

Location: On the shore of a lake in the middle of nowhere with more moose than people for neighbors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdY39 View Post
I switched to 5K oil change interval for engine and primary almost 20 years ago on the Harley's I've had. Put 90,000+ miles on an Evo, 144,000+ on a TC using that schedule. Never saw a need to change transmission oil on Evo's and TC's every 5K so I run the tranny 15,000 to 20,000 miles between changes with no problems. Haven't had to go inside a tranny since the shovelhead days years ago. If I'm not mistaken, Harley has changed the recommended oil change interval for transmissions from 5K to something much higher.

I do oil changes on vehicles at 6000 or 7000 miles and run all of them over 200,000 miles before selling.

I have sent oil samples over the years to Blackstone for analysis and it's never shown any problems.

But it's your bike, do what you want.
Well said. I agree totally. If 5k miles is good enough for the mothership it's good enough for me. If that change rate was even close to causing problems (warranty work) they wouldn't take a chance.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:42 PM
Administrator

If they say 5000 , thats probably a very conservative figure before something "happens" oil related IMO

JtB