picking up a dropped bike - Page 3 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Additional Related Discussions > Safety Area

Safety Area Issues and articles related to safety.

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 04-05-2012, 01:41 AM

never mind just read the rest of the posts lol
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2012, 01:43 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to gkt33

Pretty accurate video however he left out a few points; (1) while using this method (butt-legs) when you put the kickstand down you should also place the bike in gear. (2) while lifting you should also grab-squeeze the front brake lever as well to keep the bike from rolling when lifting from the right side.
I always reccomend the butt-leg method as it is easy to accomplish for almost any person no matter how strong you are. The only drawback that can occur would be location ie sand, mud ect.
But with a little more effort it can still be accomplished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameleo View Post
Jiffy stand side for me. Too short to mount from the right side and too lazy. Don't want to exert myself.
+1. I might be too lazy. Doesn't help that I am only 5'9. I have always been told to get on the kick stand side.

2011 FLTRX W/103
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 10:22 PM
Hangaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKNCr6 View Post
I usually step up on the right foot board at the same time I grab the grip, and step through. I have never had the bike even start to lift off the jiffy stand.
That is how I do it too. I always make sure the front wheel is turned all the way LEFT, squeeze the front brake, step on the footboard and step over the saddle. A salesman showed me how [probably so I didn't mark anything with my boots] . He was about 6'2" and 240 -250. He said if you do it right it won't tip over, damn thing weighs almost 900 lbs!. He's right, been doin' it that ever since, makes gittin' on 'n off so-o-o-o easy
Old 05-07-2012, 10:33 PM
Grey beard

Left side (jiffy stand), just like gettin' on a horse, always mount up from the left side.

Get off the horse the same side, unless you're doggin' a steer then it's right side, dig in the heels and twist like hell. Oh yeah, slip the left stirrup first or you'll enter a world of hurt real fast.
Calgaryglide. '08 Road Glide, Platinum White with wood trim, Thundermax Autotune, Dragula 2:1, Drago 510 cams, Glidepro motor mount and rear bushing, Zippers chain tensioners, Big Sucker II a/c, BAL, Rokker XTs, JD Ross new way shifter and other cool stuff.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:45 PM
Prospect

The safety class instructor emphasised to always mount and dismount from the left side. So that's what I do

Current Mods:
Thunderheader 2 into 1 w/ Ghost Pipe
Harley Race Tuner
K&N Air Filter
Chrome Front Forks
19 Inch Chrome Agitator Wheel
12 inch Klockwerks Flared Windshield
Harley Windshield Trim
Kuryakyn Fairing Trim
Colormatched Inner Fairing
Ipod Interface
Stretched Saddlebags w/ Boom Speakers & Lids
LED Tail & Riding Lights
Electronic Deer Whistle
Tour Pak
Old 05-07-2012, 11:20 PM
Life Member With a Grey Beard

High side versus "jiffy" side.

K. For what it's worth. I was a motorcop for many years; one of the first things I was taught (in the motor academy) was to always mount on the "high" side (opposite the kickstand). Granted, it may not be the easiest depending on your height. But; #1) if you do lose balance and fall, you fall into traffic and #2) same thing goes if the bike falls or the kickstand fails. That's about it (other than the fact that the bike is leaning that direction in the first place, which brings you back to #1). That was the philosophy, and I basically trusted the experience of my tutors.

If it's a habit that you can get into, and there is a 50/50 option, why not go for the one that might be better. Just MHO (and habit based on training); consequently, it feels awkward for me to step over from the left.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:23 PM
Life Member With a Grey Beard

What I meant was that the first two options would happen if you mount on the kickstand side. Sorry for that omission.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.