Keeping your cool? - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Additional Related Discussions > Clothing

Clothing You can post reviews and suggestions about riding clothing, boots, jackets and pants here.

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 04-12-2012, 10:48 PM
Grey beard

Default Keeping your cool?

Got a question for you guys who ride in hot climates. How do you ride while wearing protective gear(jacket and helmet), and still stay relatively cool? While a trip "outside" is a year or two down the road for me, I'm really curios how you folks deal with heat. Light colored mesh style jackets? Are white helmets any cooler than black, or is there no practical difference? Thanks in advance for your comments.

Jeff
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 10:53 PM
Hangaround

I have found if its going to be a long ride my leather FXRG jacket keeps me cooler than anything else I own open up the vents and let the sweat cool ya down ...just drink lots
Old 04-12-2012, 11:02 PM
HD Parts Expert

I have a breathable jacket I wear sometimes in the summer. I never thought it worked well until the first time it was a somewhat cool morning and I had it on. Then I could really tell how well it breathed. Honestly when it's 105 and 100% humidity down here you could probably ride naked and still sweat your ass off.

I have also been known to take that breathable jacket and soak it in water before I head out on a ride of any great length.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:03 PM

I've got two things that are a must have here in Vegas, the Harley seat pad to keep your but dry and a wet vest(soak in water) to keep your core cool. The vest last around 4 hours when worn under a jacket, and that's in 115 degree heat.Best $100.00 you'll spend. Both around $50 each
Old 04-13-2012, 12:41 AM
Grey beard

Even though I don't have a seat pad I agree with Staush 110% about the wet vest. Also as long as I'm out on an open road a mesh/breathable jacket is the best to beat the heat (it's easier to stay cool without 115deg wind blowing over your skin), just stay hydrated. For the most part you won't really sweat but the hot dry air will suck the moisture right out of you.......
Old 04-13-2012, 02:57 AM
Life Member

I have the seat pad also, amazing how it works, the first time I used it I had to check to make sure my fly was closed because of the breeze,lol. I also use my HD mesh jacket, with the vents open it breathes plus protects me from the sun. For really hot days I have a Cool Vest I sometimes wear, freeze it the night before and it keeps you cool for sure, just don't walk into A/C while it still has ice on it, you will freeze.

Last edited by dbell66253; 04-13-2012 at 02:59 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:30 AM
Life Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Shrug

I'm so cool I just be me and it works.

Actually...
I don't own any ballistic nylon and I rarely wear protective leather unless it's cold out, which in Texas means below 70 f. When riding around town for an hour or less, I'll wear sleeveless or short sleeve t-shirts. I wear long sleeve white, yellow, or grey t-shirts on road trips because I loathe sunburns.

You finally riding down to Texas, Jeff?

Shrug - Scott Wilson
2010 FLTRX "Hester" -
Blue Knights Teas Chapter XLVI
Old 04-13-2012, 08:50 AM
Grey beard

You finally riding down to Texas, Jeff?

I definitely plan to. This years vacation has been pretty well shot due to some unplanned trips to the L48, but in the next year or three, I'd really like to do a cross country trip. Have some family member health issues that'll have to be resolved, before I can block out that kind of time.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts on this!

Jeff
Old 04-13-2012, 09:43 AM

In hot weather I wear long sleeve Under Armour compression heat gear, microfiber tee shirt, maybe a mesh jacket and drink a lot of water. I also take a break more often.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:21 PM

I am with Shrug on this. I don't wear any protective gear when it gets that hot. I do like the idea of a long sleeve shirt to prevent the sunburns cause those are no fun.

2011 FLTRX W/103