Cheap insurance - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Additional Related Discussions > Motorcycle Insurance

Motorcycle Insurance Let's list our insurance companies here, what we pay them and if your experience with a certain company has been good or bad.

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 04-11-2012, 06:21 PM
Prospect

Default Cheap insurance

About a year ago, I was riding with a friend. I stopped at an intersection, my partner didn't, ran in the back of me...causing a prety severe compound fracture in both bones of left arm.

After three surgery, three days in hospital, medical bills over $76k, his Progresive agent shows up at my house, hands me a check for $10,000 and says get well. His absolute policy limits. Nothing more will be paid unless I want to sue my friend.

Fortunately, my health insurance picked up amounts over the $10 k, and I had State Farm coverage for uninsured / under insured motorists. After a year, they settled with my health insurer, and I actually received a surprisingly adequate check.

If the guy that hit me was not a friend, we would be in court...I still have limited use of my pinky finger and limited range of motion. I still have some physical therapy going on. I did insist that he buy decent insurance instead of minimum limits. It ain't that much more expensive.

Moral of the story, when purchasing insurance....go past price and consider other issues.

Last edited by rrs49; 04-11-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 06:31 PM
Prospect

Well Said, sorry about your accident.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:20 PM
Life Member

Thanks for that. Insurance is one of those neccesary evils that we don't like to talk about, or pay for, but when you need it you'll be glad it's there, no matter if it's your's or someone else's.
Liability insurance is dirt cheap, do the right thing and protect yourself and others.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:14 PM

Glad you manged to recover, I could never understand why anyone would not have coverage - I'm sure he never expected to hurt a friend, and can only imagine how he felt after he did, then found out what type of offerings they gave you, how fortunate he was you had coverage.... He's lucky he had a friend!
2011 RGU CVO - V&H Dual Headers, Dresser Duals, 32109-08B EFI Super Kit - Dyno Timed, Mustang Seat, Ohlin #6 Shocks, CeeBaileys Shield, Harley Davidson HD Front Suspension, Kuryakyn Driving Lights, LED Flash Rear Light, HD LED Headlamps,
Old 04-11-2012, 09:12 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laconia View Post
Glad you manged to recover, I could never understand why anyone would not have coverage - I'm sure he never expected to hurt a friend, and can only imagine how he felt after he did, then found out what type of offerings they gave you, how fortunate he was you had coverage.... He's lucky he had a friend!
+1.. well said

Some people just need a high-five. In the head. With a chair
Old 04-11-2012, 11:27 PM
Prospect

Default Something to keep in mind

In most states, Insurance companies work the state boards of insurance like YoYo Ma strokes a cello. Rates are generally set by the state, without regard to what company. Look for a carrier with an agent you can deal with, and get coverage you need. Minimums are just fine until you have a claim. And always get uninsured / under-insured motorist coverage. There are a lot of dickheads out there with no coverage
Old 04-12-2012, 01:26 AM
Life Member

Did your friend have insurance? If he did then SUE the pants off him, he doesn't have to pay his insurance company has to pay. I understand the friend thing but you have life long injuries and other issues and someone should pay for causing you this problem. Don't forget that your personal liability pays your loss wages if you were employed when you had the accident, that is a 24/7 coverage.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:17 PM
Grey beard

State Farm will probably sue your friend to recoup their money - and since it was his fault they'll easily get a judgement for the full amount plus a lot more for expenses. Good job having the uninsured / underinsured coverage - it seems that the uninsured and underinsured are the worst drivers and riders and most likely to mess you up. If your friend is not a penniless bum he will probably greatly regret his low coverage choice.

I do have a hard time understanding how three days in the hospital can cost $76,000.00 but that is our great system at work. Get well!

Last edited by TLWiz; 04-12-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:15 PM

Talking

I use an Independent Agent. Mine for an '08 RG 50/100 was 490.-/yr. I went to 250/500 and it is $620.-/yr full on everything. I'm in TN ............

john

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.