Which to buy Harley Road tech or Garmin Zumo - Page 2 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > GPS

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 06-01-2012, 11:19 AM
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat CDN View Post
I bought the 665 Zumo from HD version only cause it was actually cheaper from HD than Garmin. Same maps etc only this version also had dealers loaded. plus the HD version is compatible with the HK head unit and HD interfaces whilst the other Garmin 660/665 are not.

I use on 2 other bikes also...
Thanks, it will be cheaper for me also to go the route
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2012, 11:26 AM
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason417 View Post
Thanks, it will be cheaper for me also to go the route
R U sure?? You can get the Zumo from somewhere other than Garmin. I've seen the Zumo 665 ranging in price from $700 to 800. The Road Tech advantage is that it has all the dealers preloaded. But those listings are available free for the Zumo.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:39 AM
Life Member

I personally use the Harley version of the Zumo 660. The only reason I went that route is the NAV/GPS interface. I want to hear the directions through the radio. It is all personal preference Good Luck
Old 06-01-2012, 11:42 AM
Prospect

If they are priced the same get the RoadTech as it has a few things that the Garmin doesn't have, like you can easily download maps from the Harley Trip planner, the preloaded dealerships and I saw yesterday they are offering free maps for life (which is $90.00 from Garmin). All things considered if price is equal it is the same unit so get the HD specific items. If HD's is more weigh price versus features, your call.

Not to highjack but where can you download the list of dealerships for the Garmin?
Old 06-01-2012, 11:50 AM
Life Member

Here's something I just found out I met a fellow shark just this past weekend coming back on the ferry and we were shooting the shit and he mentioned and showed me that he bought and mounted the ram mount for his cell phone which he also used as his music and navigation and he said that the vibration from the bike damaged broke the cell phone. Now with that being said is the road teach vibration proof compared to its counterpart that would be in a car? Just a thought if that is the difference in money between the units and its just not about some software and their name on it.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Zinc View Post
R U sure?? You can get the Zumo from somewhere other than Garmin. I've seen the Zumo 665 ranging in price from $700 to 800. The Road Tech advantage is that it has all the dealers preloaded. But those listings are available free for the Zumo.
Garmin sells the Zumo 660/665... they label the Zumo the Roadtech Zumo for HD and it was cheaper in their catalog and my local dealer with discount than buying from Garmin the "garmin" model.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...9&default=none

having the dealers preloaded is great... an added value if you ask me...

as for using cell phones and even other Garmin or Navi units... most will be affected by vibration over time... even the Garmin Street Pilots have issues... the Zumo's are specifically made for bikes.

you get what you pay for...
Old 06-01-2012, 12:53 PM
Hangaround

If you plan on running through the AUX on the front of the radio it won't matter, but, if you intend to use the Harley NIM you will need the Harley version - it works only with the RoadTech 660/665.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:05 PM
Prospect

The reason I say I can get it cheaper from harley is that they give firefighter discounts of 15% off. If I wait till August a local dealer in Clearwater, Fl is givng a 20% off special on all parts and accessories.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:08 PM
Prospect

I dont care about going thru speakers, do I still have to hard wire it or can I go thur the lighter plug on the fairing? If so, will the rain hurt the power source or my gps?
Old 06-01-2012, 01:09 PM
Prospect

August is a lifetime away! Is 5% discount worth waiting until August? Grand scheme your talking 30-40 bucks but I am one impatient SOB.