Flashing red signal - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Additional Related Discussions > Safety Area

Safety Area Issues and articles related to safety.

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 08-22-2012, 06:46 PM
Hangaround

Default Flashing red signal

When you come up to a four way intersection with only one light hung by wire in the center of the intersection and it is a flashing red WATCH OUT. Not all states are the same on this issue. In Minn. I believe all four ways flash the same. Because the light is in the center it can be hard to see what side trafic is required to do and you get programed to the rules of your home state. I was in upper Michigan stoped for a flashing red light, pulled out and had a WTF moment. Other states chime in, how common is this that one direction will have a flashing red and side trafic have a flashing yellow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2012, 07:31 PM
Life Member

have some of those in the country but those or two way stops that have more traffic just to get the oncoming traffic to slow down and use caution
Old 08-24-2012, 09:24 PM

For a single flashing red, I think it is common for signs to be placed as well. So, I'll look for whatever sign cross traffic might have...and if I don't see one, I'm not going anywhere until I see it safe to do so.

I'm from Michigan, and this has always been habit for me to check for the cross traffic and any signs. But I think it is probably best to assume the cross traffic has the right of way when you have a flashing red.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:34 PM
Life Member

Here in CT i think it depends on the intersection really.

No matter how good she looks someone somewhere is sick of her shit
Old 10-31-2012, 07:03 PM
Prospect

I'm from western Michigan and blinking lights with red on one side and yellow on the other, are all over the place. thought it was like that everywhere.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:45 PM

Thats interesting. I have never seen that before. I have only seen all four sides blinking.

1998 Suzuki 1500 Wifes
2001 Suzuki 1500 Mine
2003 Goldwing Mine
2008 Goldwing Wifes
2009 Roadglide :>)
Old 10-31-2012, 10:07 PM
Life Member

If its flashing red for me, I'm going to stop then proceed with caution no matter what the other side is doing, I've seen so many people run 4 way stops until I never assume they are going to stop.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:39 PM
Life Member

We have them here in WA state. I've usually seen them with a sign that says something like "Cross traffic does not Stop." If it's flashing red for me, I stop then proceed with caution.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbell66253 View Post
If its flashing red for me, I'm going to stop then proceed with caution no matter what the other side is doing, I've seen so many people run 4 way stops until I never assume they are going to stop.
+1

I always come to a complete stop, and check all directions for the all-clear before proceeding.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:05 AM
Hangaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglidetouring View Post
When you come up to a four way intersection with only one light hung by wire in the center of the intersection and it is a flashing red WATCH OUT. Not all states are the same on this issue. In Minn. I believe all four ways flash the same. Because the light is in the center it can be hard to see what side trafic is required to do and you get programed to the rules of your home state. I was in upper Michigan stoped for a flashing red light, pulled out and had a WTF moment. Other states chime in, how common is this that one direction will have a flashing red and side trafic have a flashing yellow.
In the past, many locales in MN especially the rural areas had flashing 4 way lights at intersections. They all did not flash the same color. Many intersections had flashing yellows for the main thoroughfare, and flashing reds for the intersecting side street.

Over the years, the flashing lights have been replaced with stop signs for the side streets. On streets were there have been a significant amount of crashes, the stop signs have red flashing LED's around the perimeter of the sign to draw the driver's attention to the sign.