Usa made products are painful - Page 2 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > General Forum Discussions > General Off-Topic Discussions

General Off-Topic Discussions Non-Road Glide Topics

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-02-2012, 08:42 PM
Life Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pargenz View Post
In my opinion, you shouldn't just focus on manufacturing.
There are many people, maybe your neighbors, who are employed through imported goods. There simply aren't enough manufacturing jobs to employ a country of our size.
Also consider the ancillary businesses. We all gotta work somewhere.
Totally true. Not even sure how to respond, only acknowledge that it is damn hard to keep U.S. dollars in the U.S.. The kicker is tryin to buy local on top of that. The mark-up is pretty hefty to keep up with local taxes and such. It ain't easy tryin to do the right thing these days. I do know that Iade my comtribition to both the local economy and the U.S. worker. I guess that's worth something. To me anyway.

Rowdy

Revolution 107CI, HQ575cams, Revolution Performance Tuner, Drago Bike Works Super Charged 2-1 Exhaust, Rivera Pro Clutch, HD Blacked out Forks and Cow Bells, Chubby 14" Apes, Hawg Wired Front to Back, Madstad 16" Dark Smoke. etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 09:07 PM
Life Member

I'm pretty lucky we have White's boots along with Nick's boots right here in town. Both are made in the USA and made here by hand. They are pricey but last a long time and are rebuild able. They are custom made for you so there is a wait but they are well worth it.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:58 PM
Prospect

Redwing and Danner still make some of their boots here. FYI, our troops are usually wearing chinese garbage too. There is a federal law that requires the DoD to purchase domestic products. However, there are so many ways companies can get around it, they don't even try to hide it anymore. This makes me mad as hell. Since this is a ranting post, I'm gonna add mine to it. I don't agree at all that there aren't enough manufacturing jobs to go around for this country. My town has many empty plants and wharehouses. The capacity is here, the jobs left. The companies moved the jobs offshore. We used to have a thriving business district. Kmart came and small businesses starting closing. Next, we got a super duper wally world. That put the rest out of business and even killed the Kmart in the end. Walmart has proven that most people without a lot of money don't care where their goods are made, so long as they're cheap. That's not their fault, you do what you have to to provide for your family. The only thing we have left is agriculture. Thank god the chinese haven't figured out how to grow cheaper potatoes...
Old 11-02-2012, 10:48 PM

Whites Boots the only way to go
Old 11-02-2012, 11:17 PM
Life Member

I totally agree. Buying American goods is difficult and can be expensive at least on up front costs. The good thing is most still made here is high quality and long lasting.

Already mentioned is Diamond Gusset jeans. Fox Creek Leather www.foxcreekleather.com in Independance VA makes some of the best motorcycle leathers anywhere, also sell Chippewa boots.

Not too far away in Stoneville NC is Gerbings Heated Clothing http://gerbing.com/Products/Products.php who makes premium heated riding gear, they make Harley's heated line. I'm sure there's a lot more I don't know about.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:29 PM
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

American clothing is not the only ones that outsource. The very bikes we ride have parts made in other countries. Not just the parts, but even some of the bikes are assembled overseas. It is very hard to find anything these days that is 100% American.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:19 AM

I do my best to buy domestic, I also try to buy quality. Some times it's just hard to find what I need.

It seems that we (Americans) have chosen to give up on quality for cheep disposable stuff. My house if full of crap that was cheep and used one or two times and it gets stuffed away some where.

Some how German manages export more then it's imports.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:33 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skid1 View Post
American clothing is not the only ones that outsource. The very bikes we ride have parts made in other countries. Not just the parts, but even some of the bikes are assembled overseas. It is very hard to find anything these days that is 100% American.
If it's a Harley, some parts are made overseas, but I would have to disagree with you on the assembly. And back to clothes, the Diamond Gusset's are premium quality, I have caught them on sale, still a little pricey, but worth every dollar.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:13 AM

http://www.unionlabel.com/info.html
Old 11-03-2012, 07:45 AM
Hangaround

My buddy goes to China for business and comes back with a shirt from Hong Kong Harley-Davidson. It was made in the USA! Yet I go to my local Red Wing shoe store to buy the same boots I have been buying for 30 years and they are now made in China...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.