LED Small Gauge bulbs help - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums






Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Lighting

Lighting Lighting for Road Gildes


Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!








Partner Links


Motorcycle Superstore









 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-29-2012, 06:00 PM
Cakeman1's Avatar
Cakeman1 Cakeman1 is offline
Hangaround
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Eastern Shore of MD
Posts: 157
Default LED Small Gauge bulbs help

I am reaching out to the Road Glide gods again. I have been reading about changing the bulbs in the 4 small gauges. I have run into what appear to be conflicting information.
What type of bulbs do you use?
194 LED Bulb - 5 SMD LED Wide Angle Wedge Base
OR
194 LED Bulb - 1 SMD LED Wedge Base
Super Bright has both online

Winter is around the corner and I am going to start stock piling projects and parts. Thanks as always
__________________
2006 Road Glide FLTRI
79 FLH Electra Glide (ya know - shovelhead!)
Too many others have come and gone
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 10-29-2012, 07:11 PM
reficul's Avatar
reficul reficul is offline
Life Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,664
Default

I can get you that info in the morning. I have the invoice for them in my garage but it too dam windy to go outside now
__________________
2012 Shark Face
Keep knocking on the devils door,
One day he is gonna answer
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-29-2012, 07:40 PM
11FLTRX103's Avatar
11FLTRX103 11FLTRX103 is offline
Grey beard
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MACKINAW ILLINOIS
Posts: 1,084
Default

I'm about 99.99983% sure its the 5s
__________________
Live to Ride so they can Live! www.stjudepeoriarides.org/brentrassi
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-03-2012, 07:51 AM
Mischief's Avatar
Mischief Mischief is offline
Life Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 1,620
Default

I used the 5 SMD with no issues.
__________________
Sometimes to achieve the impossible,you have to try the absurd!
2012 FLTRU with assorted chit / 2001 Custom Hayabusa
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-03-2012, 08:02 AM
Garemlin's Avatar
Garemlin Garemlin is offline
Grey beard
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Delaware
Posts: 1,033
Default

You can use....

WLED-x5 which are 220 12 Lumen

WLED-xhp5 which are wide angle 360 and 40 Lumen

WLED-W-120 which are 120 and 3 Lumen

WLED-W-90 which are 90 and are 3 Lumen

Depends on how bright you want and how much of the gauges you want lit. From what I have read the 12 Lumen is close to stock. Some people say the 40 are too bright but others like them. Personally I would go for the widest angle to light up the gauges.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-03-2012, 08:14 AM
OldNerdGuy's Avatar
OldNerdGuy OldNerdGuy is offline
Life Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: St. Peters, MO
Posts: 3,035
Default

Go to superbrightleds.com. Get the ones with 1 smd led. Do not get the one with 5 smd LEDs. I have tried both, the 1's are way better, and cheaper.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-03-2012, 08:42 AM
Cakeman1's Avatar
Cakeman1 Cakeman1 is offline
Hangaround
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Eastern Shore of MD
Posts: 157
Default

Thanks, I attached the links if anyone needs them vs. just rutting around superbrights

1 LED - 28 Lumen 120 degree light
http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei.../194-led-bulb-
1-smd-led-wedge-base/204/

5 LED - 40 Lumen 360 degree light
http://www.superbrightleds.com/searc...cts/WLED-xHP5/

5 LED - 12 Lumen 220 degree light
http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...edge-base/199/
__________________
2006 Road Glide FLTRI
79 FLH Electra Glide (ya know - shovelhead!)
Too many others have come and gone
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-03-2012, 08:50 AM
OldNerdGuy's Avatar
OldNerdGuy OldNerdGuy is offline
Life Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: St. Peters, MO
Posts: 3,035
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeman1 View Post
Thanks, I attached the links if anyone needs them vs. just rutting around superbrights

1 LED - 28 Lumen 120 degree light
http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei.../194-led-bulb-
1-smd-led-wedge-base/204/

5 LED - 40 Lumen 360 degree light
http://www.superbrightleds.com/searc...cts/WLED-xHP5/

5 LED - 12 Lumen 220 degree light
http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...edge-base/199/
Your first link looks like it word wrapped and broke.

Here is the one you should get, choose your color. I used Amber, and it matched the Speedo cluster rather well. Just remember, if you change the gauge bulb color in the guages, the Speedo/Tach has to be sent out to change colors, there are no "bulbs" in there, they are all fixed, soldered, to the circuit board. Search the forum, there are a number of posts on how to get this done, and who does it.

What I found, when I had the 5's was, the light was unevenly distributed inside the gauge, and I had problems seeing the gauge at night. With the single SMD's, the gauges light perfectly, evenly and are easily seen at night. The singles are much better at lighting the gauges than the 5's were.

Last edited by OldNerdGuy; 11-03-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-03-2012, 09:01 AM
Garemlin's Avatar
Garemlin Garemlin is offline
Grey beard
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Delaware
Posts: 1,033
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNerdGuy View Post
Your first link looks like it word wrapped and broke.

Here is the one you should get, choose your color. I used Amber, and it matched the Speedo cluster rather well. Just remember, if you change the gauge bulb color in the guages, the Speedo/Tach has to be sent out to change colors, there are no "bulbs" in there, they are all fixed, soldered, to the circuit board. Search the forum, there are a number of posts on how to get this done, and who does it.

What I found, when I had the 5's was, the light was unevenly distributed inside the gauge, and I had problems seeing the gauge at night. With the single SMD's, the gauges light perfectly, evenly and are easily seen at night. The singles are much better at lighting the gauges than the 5's were.

Got a night pic of your gauges??? Never saw this one as an option. I have always seen the ones with a wider angle help light up the gauges evenly all the way to the edges. This one seems like it would be bright in the middle and fade out on the edges.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-03-2012, 09:18 AM
OldNerdGuy's Avatar
OldNerdGuy OldNerdGuy is offline
Life Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: St. Peters, MO
Posts: 3,035
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garemlin View Post
Got a night pic of your gauges??? Never saw this one as an option. I have always seen the ones with a wider angle help light up the gauges evenly all the way to the edges. This one seems like it would be bright in the middle and fade out on the edges.
I don't have any pics. If you look at the beam pattern for the single, it is 120 degrees, and sits at the very back of the gauge, so it spreads light rather well across the gauge.

The stock, incandescent bulbs suck for lighting the gauge. The multiple SMD lights stick up into the gauge like the stock bulbs do, so they suck as well, just brighter. The one on top of the 5 SMD is probably too far into the gauge to do anything, the other 4 shine to the side, like the stock bulb. I was surprised (pleasantly) at the difference.

One other word of advice when changing bulbs. When you put the fairing back on, leave the headlights out so you can fish your hand up to the gauges and make sure the light did not get pulled out of the gauge when you were having fun with the turn signals while mounting your fairing. The turn signal wires hang from the bundle that includes the gauge lights. On more than one occasion I pulled the gauge lights out while "enjoying" my fairing experience.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


 


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:00 PM.



Design By: Miner Skinz.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
H-D, Harley-Davidson, and Harley-Davidson Logos are registered trademarks of H-D Michigan, Inc. Harley-Davidson in no way endorses or is affiliated with this site.