Shark Week IV in New England? - Page 8 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > General Forum Discussions > Road Glide Gathering > ARCHIVES-SWIII St. George, UT

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXD-Tim View Post
I like all the suggested sites. It's up to the organizers to settle on a location once they have the details arranged. I like the idea of going to an off-season resort if the $$ are less. I would not want to move from one location to another. Once the picnic tables and port-a-potties are setup, we stay put for the duration.

I'd love to come up and check out the suggested sites, but my time off is budgeted and spoken for.

It's best to take your proposal to SWIII, and I realize it's a long way from Maine to Utah, but I think you could send the paperwork and use Skype to make your presentation and show your enthusiasm.
We are going to set a proposal for the ralley and let the group make the desitions. Lets see what happens after but my invitation for you stands, if you ever come in to this area Please call me, I got extra room and an air mattress, no furniture. I ride about 15000 milles per year in 6 months due to winter and riding with friends is allway fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 05:11 PM
Shark of the Month October 13

Location: On the shore of a lake in the middle of nowhere with more moose than people for neighbors.

OK, here's a 5 minute 'tease' of the ride up the Mt. Washington auto road. Part of it was under construction and gravel when this was taken but Springer Todd and I rode this last August and it's completely asphalt now. They call this the ride to the clouds with good reason, many days you literally can ride through a cloud layer getting to the top. If you have virtego issues you'll want to skip this ride for something a bit more tame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT0YzS_sV6w

The older we get, the fewer things seem worth waiting in line for.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:11 PM
Life Member

Default I 2nd HUTMO

Ok
After reading through and catching up I have to throw my support behind Hutmo. Lest we forget how SWI started? It started right here in this forum with responsible discussion and willing individuals that could make it happen with phone calls and e-mails. A background of the area to hold it must be known and researched a little but when someone has the fortitude to pull it together in his or her backyard, I say Yea!
Being in attendance to cast your hat in the ring should not matter.

There,
east coast it shall be!

enjoy the ride
HRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutmo View Post
Good to see such an interest in our little motorcycle gathering. not so long ago a few of us hope for 30 or 40 bikes to show up at Gettysburg.

I have put together some of my thoughts regarding our little gathering. They are not the end all... just my thoughts. The Admins will get together to hammer some of these details out to make it all a bit more concrete.

Feel free to continue the discussion. I will post the same post as an FYI under the National Road Rally Folder

THOUGHTS ON FUTURE SHARK WEEKS

A schedule that moves the rally to different regions is a good idea but ultimately it comes down to who is willing to put in the legwork to make it happen. If that means two years in a row that we will be in the same region... that's life.

2011 - Gettysburg
2012 - LeClaire Iowa
2012 - Utah
2013 - Great Lakes.... Dmize??? New England... The Back Doctor? North Carolina... Richard? Texas... Triple J? Florida...BMW Tim? Kentucky... Franky and Tracey. Just a few ideas! East Coast in the Carolinas would be AWESOME

WHEN TO HAVE THE RALLY

Timing... it seems that summer is the time to do this. The Road King Riders have been doing their Road King Riders Ride In for ten years and they do it in the summer every year because it maximizes turnout.

It has been said before and I will say it again. There is nothing stopping anyone from having a smaller meet in another region. Go for it!

WHO CAN HOLD THE RALLY?
Anyone who has great roads to share, sights to see and a hotel that is willing to put up with lots of motorcycle folks spending money at their establishment. I do not believe at this point that being at a past Shark Week is a deal killer. You will need to sell us on your ability on making this happen. If it wouldn't we will show up at your door!

We have enough experience to walk anyone who is willing to do this through the process. It isn't that hard. If you are willing and have some organizational skills. You can do it. Granted... the more well known you are on the forum the better your shot will be.

START UP FUNDS

Last year we made certain to put some extra start up money on the side for this year's host. After Gettysburg we had some money but not too much. This year we will be in good shape. Stray Mutt said there is enough to purchase HD LED headlights for all of the attendees. Seriously... there will be some money for you to work with.

HOW DO YOU APPLY TO HOST THE RALLY?
If I was thinking of doing this I would get my ideas together and and submit a proposal to the membership through the forum. Start your own discussion for your 2013 Shark Week Proposal in the National Rally folder.

Where? When? Why? Tell us why your idea should be considered! You are selling your idea. Maybe you could make a downloadable proposal. Maps, ride ideas, eateries, sights to see ect ect ect. Take a proactive approach if you are interested.

HOW AND WHEN DO WE VOTE?

Simple... we vote at Shark Week. If you are there your chances will be much better. If you cannot make it I suggest you put together a very nice packet (WITH MULTIPLE COPIES so many can see the proposal) and send them to the current host so they will have them at the meeting when we vote.

ADMINS... PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD TO THIS DOCUMENT if I forgot something.

HUTMO

Hotrodad and his 2005 FLTRi, Black Pearl
Old 11-03-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodad View Post
Ok
After reading through and catching up I have to throw my support behind Hutmo. Lest we forget how SWI started? It started right here in this forum with responsible discussion and willing individuals that could make it happen with phone calls and e-mails. A background of the area to hold it must be known and researched a little but when someone has the fortitude to pull it together in his or her backyard, I say Yea!
Being in attendance to cast your hat in the ring should not matter.

There,
east coast it shall be!

enjoy the ride
HRD
I agree with this train of thought. Attending shouldn't matter. By only considering proposals from only those present at the last SW limits the locations that can be considered. Having a great location along with an enthusiastic individual or group organizing it should be most important.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:32 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozoneman View Post
I agree with this train of thought. Attending shouldn't matter. By only considering proposals from only those present at the last SW limits the locations that can be considered. Having a great location along with an enthusiastic individual or group organizing it should be most important.
+1 on that.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:51 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozoneman View Post
+2

And not only should the proposals be open ... so should the final decision. IMO, further locations should be decided (voted), upon by the forum AT LARGE - not just those in attendance at the previous Shark Week. Just because someone couldn't make it last time, shouldn't mean their opinion doesn't matter for the next time.

(Of course, this is all dependent on multiple people or groups offering to host. If you've only got one person or group stepping up, there's nothing to decide.)

2011 FLTRX 103

VH Dresser Duals | Klock Werks SS | HD Ventilator | Power Vision | Santees 11in Apes | CB SSC Euro 15in
Old 11-03-2012, 07:02 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD_Shock View Post
+2

And not only should the proposals be open ... so should the final decision. IMO, further locations should be decided (voted), upon by the forum AT LARGE - not just those in attendance at the previous Shark Week. Just because someone couldn't make it last time, shouldn't mean their opinion doesn't matter for the next time.

(Of course, this is all dependent on multiple people or groups offering to host. If you've only got one person or group stepping up, there's nothing to decide.)
I agree. I think the options should be made open to the whole forum, left open for a while so we can vote. I am very active on this forum and have made several friends. It kinda feels like I was left out of the cool kids club when it comes to voting. . I know, I know get on your bike and show up to sharks week. Not that simple, I wish it was. I'm also thinking of our guys overseas in the military who are very active on the forum. Thier input should matter as well especially if they are coming home in time for SW. Just some thoughts, don't go getting pissy at me I just want to throw this out there.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:15 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxinharley View Post
I agree. I think the options should be made open to the whole forum, left open for a while so we can vote. I am very active on this forum and have made several friends. It kinda feels like I was left out of the cool kids club when it comes to voting. . I know, I know get on your bike and show up to sharks week. Not that simple, I wish it was. I'm also thinking of our guys overseas in the military who are very active on the forum. Thier input should matter as well especially if they are coming home in time for SW. Just some thoughts, don't go getting pissy at me I just want to throw this out there.
++1. IMO it doesnt really make sense and isnt really fair to have only the members who have attended a previous SW do the voting on who will host it or where the next one will be. I cant speak for anyone else but im sure alot of members wouldve liked to attend the last one but due to our lives schedule couldnt. We all love to ride our RGs but not all can jump on it to make a week long trip across country to attend a SW. Personally i think if an established member in good standing with this forum steps up and wants to host a future SW they should propose it to the admins properly with tentative plans and it should be voted on by ANY and ALL active members who wish to vote. I know im a nobody around here and i dont have any administration authorities nor do i want them but this seems like a pretty fair way to decide to me. Again just my opinion

Some people just need a high-five. In the head. With a chair

Last edited by rlaf75; 11-03-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:41 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxinharley View Post
I agree. I think the options should be made open to the whole forum, left open for a while so we can vote. I am very active on this forum and have made several friends. It kinda feels like I was left out of the cool kids club when it comes to voting. . I know, I know get on your bike and show up to sharks week. Not that simple, I wish it was. I'm also thinking of our guys overseas in the military who are very active on the forum. Their input should matter as well especially if they are coming home in time for SW. Just some thoughts, don't go getting pissy at me I just want to throw this out there.
Trouble is there are too many that just Post and not ride on these type Forums ("Forum Riders").
Some just post, take (Short) local rides or only ride when the conditions are "Just Right".
Having an Open Forum Location Vote will open to votes made by those that will never attend a National Rally.
If willing to make the "Long Ride" for a SW Rally, you will conceder those that are making the "Long Ride" to attend.

From the attendance at SWII, there was a large representation of the Forum Riders, not those that Post.
After all, the SW Rallies are for Riding Members to meet the other riders and have fun.

Vietnam Veteran, PGR, Widow's Son, "lIgh tlhab" (Ride Free)
Old 11-03-2012, 08:52 PM
Administrator

WOW! In my 2 week or so absence on here I was surprised to log on & see so much SW talk.
I just wanted to chime in briefly and say I agree with the idea of 'pleading your case' at SWIII. Ya never can tell, we might just throw our name in the hat as well. Lots going on here at home but to be honest, I have mentally planned a SW in Ky for well over a yr now....lol

05 RG 'Lymey'
11 RGU 'Clyde'
Closed Thread