Future Shark Weeks - Page 5 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > General Forum Discussions > Road Glide Gathering > ARCHIVES-SWIII St. George, UT

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 04:40 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAINSAW View Post
Im ready to compare the Utah heat to the Iowa heat
Can you fry an egg on the sidewalk in mid-summer? Humidity schumidity.

It's three days ride from Bakersfield and I don't know why I came.
I guess I came to keep from payin' dues.
So instead I've got a bottle and a girl who's just fourteen & a damn good case of the Mexicali blues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 11:34 PM
Life Member

Just drink more beer! Keep the inside of you cool!

2014 GYPSY TOUR--Getting my kicks from Rt 6!
Old 11-02-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyB View Post
As we beat the horse even more regarding the time frame when SW is held....we have members who are teachers and many who have kids. Those folks cannot take off work and/or leave their kids who are in school in order to attend a SW that is held during school.

And while I personally dont believe that someone has to attend a SW in order to host one....I feel that if someone has the balls to take it on, there are plenty of us who have attended and helped out and would be more than willing to 'coach' a newbie along. I dare say that particular volunteer would turn down some willing hands.
I agree with Tracy with the timing of the rally, it that has to be in the summer for people with kids or working for the school dep. when they have the time to attend, like HUTNO. Do not forget that he is the one that started SW and he is a teacher. I agree that you do not need to be present to volunteer to do the job. I volunteered for Shark week IV with a few great folks in Maine that are willing to help. I was advised to send a proposal with info to SWIII by Tim. The group here will get together and start that proposal. I SUGGEST THAT the review of possibilities be made by THE ADMINISTRATORS of the site and make the decisions presenting it to the membership at SWIII or by the site. We started small with a simple idea of friends getting together mainly by Hutno, Hotdad and others but now it feels like it is getting out of hand. We need leadership now with such of a big group. I am not saying this because I want to influence the group to come to Maine just that I hate to see this group separating to smaller groups due to politics. just my 2 cents
Old 11-02-2012, 06:22 PM

By Northwoods_maine

OK, here's a 5 minute 'tease' of the ride up the Mt. Washington auto road. Part of it was under construction and gravel when this was taken but Springer Todd and I rode this last August and it's completely asphalt now. They call this the ride to the clouds with good reason, many days you literally can ride through a cloud layer getting to the top. If you have virtego issues you'll want to skip this ride for something a bit more tame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT0YzS_sV6w

Opened in 1861, the Mt. Washington Auto Road is America’s Oldest Manmade Tourist Attraction, and an unmatched driving experience your family will always remember. From the first horse-drawn wagons to today’s modern vehicles, vacationers on the Auto Road have been experiencing the wonders of Mt. Washington’s weather, scenery and history for 150 years. Be part of that history today.

Visit the Mt. Washington Auto Road

Last edited by GMAN SERGU; 11-02-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:32 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN SERGU View Post
I hate to see this group separating to smaller groups due to politics. just my 2 cents
Well Maine is just too far to make for just a couple of days. (Over 3200 miles one way) from Southern California
It is a two week trip from LA area. One to go. One to return. And then just a couple of days for the rally.
I used the RG Rally as an addition to see family back east. Saves money.
Central of the country is best. (West Central,Middle central, East Central)
And I don't fly or drive (Trailer) to Motorcycle Rallies.

Vietnam Veteran, PGR, Widow's Son, "lIgh tlhab" (Ride Free)

Last edited by RoadGlideRider; 11-02-2012 at 06:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-02-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadGlideRider View Post
Well Maine is just too far to make for just a couple of days. (Over 3200 miles one way) from Southern California
It is a two week trip from LA area. One to go. One to return. And then just a couple of days for the rally.
I used the RG Rally as an addition to see family back east. Saves money.
Central of the country is best. (West Central,Middle central, East Central)
And I don't fly or drive (Trailer) to Motorcycle Rallies.
I agree, as the west is far from me, the country is so darn big but Maine is so beautiful and worth the trip as many other places that is why we should have one West, one East and one central. Great excuse to explore the country and have a destination during Vacation. Or just choose a central location like many rally's in the country like Laconia or Sturgis or We can go back to Hutnos backyard and place many tents That is a decision for the administrators to make I think. I notice you go to TN, that is a beautiful area with NC, Virginia and TN mountains. Great place to go riding love to have SWVI there after a west coast or central rally.

Last edited by GMAN SERGU; 11-02-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Gman....after pics like that.....you got my vote!!!!

Not everyone will be able to make all the rallies. Just as you can't please everyone...
Old 11-02-2012, 07:43 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN SERGU View Post
I agree, as the west is far from me.
Saint Goerge is still 350 miles east from me. But it is still more central than Maine. I have rode up through Maine. It is nice. I just think the National Rallies should be more along the center of the country. It would be nice to have the National Rally here around LA. But it would not be fair to those that are on the east coast.

Regional Rallies can be held more along the outer edges of the country. The central locations will give the attendance a better opportunity to be larger at the National Rally. Anyone can still attend any Regional Rally. But not miss the National Rally due to the location.

That is why I think the National Rallies should be held central to everyone.

Vietnam Veteran, PGR, Widow's Son, "lIgh tlhab" (Ride Free)
Old 11-03-2012, 03:40 PM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksand View Post
Mud....MUD?? Earth to Mutt it takes water to make mud and SWIII is in the desert LOL! Seriously it was hot at SW , but leave us not forget its in the SUMMER! After hearing where SWIII was gonna be we all laughed about how hot it was gonna be then got excited and started planning on going and routes to get there. As long as it doesnt rain its all cool.

Funny it seems most people bitchin about the weather are ones who've never been to a SW. I'm lucky enough to have been to both, met some great people and had a large time at both of them. I for one wouldn't miss it no matter where it is!
You may find some mud that time of year out there. Isn't July/August called the Monsoon season in Utah?
Old 11-03-2012, 05:50 PM
Life Member

I'm on the side of the Maine folks here. While I agree that we should know who we are dealing with before we accept a proposal for an event, as long as the rotation remains east-mid-west-east I don't think we can reasonably "require" that potential organizers should ride 3500+ miles to a 3 day event in order to apply to be next year's hosts. It'd be one thing if we were going back mid, then we could reasonably expect potential hosts from Kansas or Nebraska to show up in Utah. It's not like being hosts is a real lucrative paying position.
I would say that as long as some of us, admins or otherwise, have at least some idea of who we're dealing with, and they've actually attended an event before, I don't see a problem with some sort of absentee application.

Maine is almost exactly the same distance as Utah for me, I'm in for 2014, sign me up.