Future Shark Weeks - Page 6 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > General Forum Discussions > Road Glide Gathering > ARCHIVES-SWIII St. George, UT

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 08:11 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdkkart View Post
I'm on the side of the Maine folks here. While I agree that we should know who we are dealing with before we accept a proposal for an event, as long as the rotation remains east-mid-west-east I don't think we can reasonably "require" that potential organizers should ride 3500+ miles to a 3 day event in order to apply to be next year's hosts. It'd be one thing if we were going back mid, then we could reasonably expect potential hosts from Kansas or Nebraska to show up in Utah. It's not like being hosts is a real lucrative paying position.
I would say that as long as some of us, admins or otherwise, have at least some idea of who we're dealing with, and they've actually attended an event before, I don't see a problem with some sort of absentee application.

Maine is almost exactly the same distance as Utah for me, I'm in for 2014, sign me up.
Maine is not "Locked in". The location could still be Middle America.
The location is to be discussed at SWIII. There has been some that have also suggested SWIV in Texas.
That is Middle America. The next location will be discussed and set at SWIII.

Vietnam Veteran, PGR, Widow's Son, "lIgh tlhab" (Ride Free)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 08:31 PM
Wooden Nickel

I just hope this doesn't turn into a bitching session where a bunch of people get pissed off.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadGlideRider View Post
Maine is not "Locked in". The location could still be Middle America.

The location is to be discussed at SWIII. There has been some that have also suggested SWIV in Texas.

That is Middle America. The next location will be discussed and set at SWIII.
It would seem that there is a lot of support for SWIV in Maine -

It has also been suggested by several that the discussion be held via this forum

What dicates that - It has been suggested that the Location be selected by a popular vote via this forum.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:10 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workman View Post
It would seem that there is a lot of support for SWIV in Maine -
It has also been suggested by several that the discussion be held via this forum
What dicates that - It has been suggested that the Location be selected by a popular vote via this forum.
Not support, just discussed.
There is several other locations that also have been discussed. Just not as much. Texas and KY.
The time and dates of the National Rally has had a lot of discussion over the last few years. It can not be set to satisfy everyone.
And it has been posted that any member can submit the documentation for a SW Rally and not attend.
The final vote for the location will be at SW.
From the attendance this year, many of us made the trip just fine.

Having an Open Forum Vote will have votes made by those that will never attend a National Rally.
If willing to make the "Long Ride" for a SW Rally, you will conceder those that are making the "Long Ride" to attend.

Vietnam Veteran, PGR, Widow's Son, "lIgh tlhab" (Ride Free)
Old 11-03-2012, 09:52 PM
Life Member

THOUGHTS ON FUTURE SHARK WEEKS

A schedule that moves the rally to different regions is a good idea but ultimately it comes down to who is willing to put in the legwork to make it happen. If that means two years in a row that we will be in the same region... that's life.

2011 - Gettysburg
2012 - LeClaire Iowa
2012 - Utah
2013 - Great Lakes.... Dmize??? New England... The Back Doctor? North Carolina... Richard? Texas... Triple J? Florida...BMW Tim? Kentucky... Franky and Tracey. Just a few ideas! East Coast in the Carolinas would be AWESOME

WHEN TO HAVE THE RALLY

Timing... it seems that summer is the time to do this. The Road King Riders have been doing their Road King Riders Ride In for ten years and they do it in the summer every year because it maximizes turnout.

It has been said before and I will say it again. There is nothing stopping anyone from having a smaller meet in another region. Go for it!

WHO CAN HOLD THE RALLY?
Anyone who has great roads to share, sights to see and a hotel that is willing to put up with lots of motorcycle folks spending money at their establishment. I do not believe at this point that being at a past Shark Week is a deal killer. You will need to sell us on your ability on making this happen. If it wouldn't we will show up at your door!

We have enough experience to walk anyone who is willing to do this through the process. It isn't that hard. If you are willing and have some organizational skills. You can do it. Granted... the more well known you are on the forum the better your shot will be.

START UP FUNDS

Last year we made certain to put some extra start up money on the side for this year's host. After Gettysburg we had some money but not too much. This year we will be in good shape. Stray Mutt said there is enough to purchase HD LED headlights for all of the attendees. Seriously... there will be some money for you to work with.

HOW DO YOU APPLY TO HOST THE RALLY?
If I was thinking of doing this I would get my ideas together and and submit a proposal to the membership through the forum. Start your own discussion for your 2013 Shark Week Proposal in the National Rally folder.

Where? When? Why? Tell us why your idea should be considered! You are selling your idea. Maybe you could make a downloadable proposal. Maps, ride ideas, eateries, sights to see ect ect ect. Take a proactive approach if you are interested.

HOW AND WHEN DO WE VOTE?

Simple... we vote at Shark Week. If you are there your chances will be much better. If you cannot make it I suggest you put together a very nice packet (WITH MULTIPLE COPIES so many can see the proposal) and send them to the current host so they will have them at the meeting when we vote.

__________________________________________________ _

Closing this thread as well, since they just seem to get heated. If you want a rally in your area,.. plan a regional rally. If you want Shark Week in your area,.. come to SWIII and pitch your idea and get it voted on there.

For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'
Such is the rule of honor.

Closed Thread